Discounting toward end of cruise?

minitor

They ran an internet special the last couple of days of the cruise (still pricey by land standards). They were trying to capitalize on all the people logging on to check their airline reservations, etc.

The spa supposedly offers discounts on port days but I didn't see this on the Oosterdam, but I did on the Westerdam. Maybe it depends on how booked up they are.

Spa specials -- on some ships we have noticed they are offered at reduced rates near the end of the cruise and on others - nothing. I think it depends on how many people have pre-booked.

Internet specials -- they offer them near the end of the cruise -- bur not really a good deal.

I would think it's like everything else ... supply and demand. If there is excess supply toward the last few days of the cruise, they will offer some killer deals to keep the spa staff busy. But if there are lots of bookings, and the spa staff is gonna be busy anyway, there won't be very many good deals at all.

I think that's why there are so many port day specials in the spa. Most people want to spend their days in port and thus won't book spa appointments on those days. As a result, Steiner has all their staff sitting around for most of the day, with nothing to do, and still getting paid. Not a good thing from Steiner's point of view, nor for the spa staff since much of their compensation is probably commission and tip-based.

I know my cabin mate on my last cruise got some killer deals on various spa treatments by booking them on port days ... so clearly deals are there to be had.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived