I hate PR food What are my other otions in OSJ

FcapAcap

Going to be doing a walking tour which finishes up at Fort Cristol (SP?) I want to get a nice dinner afterwards. I hate PR food What are my other otions in OSJ?

Sorry you dont Like Puertorrican food, but thats not is a way to start a thread with a hate word..Puertorrican culinary food its one of the best in the world...i been to lots of places were I dont like the food but I will never in my like said that I hate such or such..coutry food...

here we have all kind of restaurants for all palates...

puertorrican food its not only rice and beans..!

carmen

Going to be doing a walking tour which finishes up at Fort Cristol (SP?) I want to get a nice dinner afterwards. I hate PR food What are my other otions in OSJ?

Sorry you dont Like Puertorrican food, but thats is not a way to start a thread with a hate word..Puertorrican culinary food its one of the best in the world...i been to lots of places were I dont like the food but I will never in my like said that I hate such or such..country food...

carmen

There are lots of other options.

I would suggest you read through the threads here on the San Juan board.

I also would agree that the Puerto Rican food I had in San Juan was nothing like the "Americanized" version I have had here. This is pretty much true of any cuisine. We seem to have a way of taking one and "tweeking" it to our palate. Most of the time this "tweeking" makes it totally unlike the real thing.

Case in point: I am from south Texas. Have traveled all over Mexico and believe me - the Mexican meals are nothing like what you are served here !!!

But if you still need other options.....there is everything from Asian fusion to whatever....... but Senor Frogs ???? No way.

If you must, there's a Burger King, a Pizza Hut, a Hard Rock. But there are tons of restaurants that serve great food, both Caribbean cuisine and others. It shouldn't be hard to find a non-chain restaurant with food you'll enjoy.

Jodi

A friend who runs a brew pub here has recommended Old Harbor Brewery for our next visit. It's a brew pub and fine-dining steak and lobster restaurant located in Old San Juan.

gary

p.s. the website starts up music pretty loud on entering -- you might want to turn your speakers down a bit.

Thanks Gary This place sounds good. Beer and Steak!

Sorry you dont Like Puertorrican food, but thats is not a way to start a thread with a hate word..Puertorrican culinary food its one of the best in the world...i been to lots of places were I dont like the food but I will never in my like said that I hate such or such..country food...

carmen

WOW You need to lighten up. Hate word? Sorry I don't hate PR food i really really really dislike it. I forgot how sensitive some are.

WOW You need to lighten up. Hate word? Sorry I don't hate PR food i really really really dislike it. I forgot how sensitive some are.

OMG Im not sensitive..Im used to deal with, closed minded people!

you are not comming to a 3rd world country!

we are happy and very very, friendly people...we welcome every one!

carmen

carmen

Carmen is quite right! Puerto Ricans are warm, friendly and very welcoming! As for the food! My friends who traveled with me on the Destiny last November "hated" Puerto Rican food too....until I dragged them kicking and screaming to an authentic PR restaurant where they promptly changed their minds. They had it in their heads that PR food is hot and spicy and greasy. This is not the case at all!

Besides, there is always McDonalds, or Subway, or Burgar King....but then you can eat those at home.

My 2 cents.

carmen

Carmen is quite right! Puerto Ricans are warm, friendly and very welcoming! As for the food! My friends who traveled with me on the Destiny last November "hated" Puerto Rican food too....until I dragged them kicking and screaming to an authentic PR restaurant where they promptly changed their minds. They had it in their heads that PR food is hot and spicy and greasy. This is not the case at all!

Besides, there is always McDonalds, or Subway, or Burgar King....but then you can eat those at home.

My 2 cents.

My 2 cents.

Helllo! Michelle

how are you?

I been missing you lately! Send you some Emls ? you received it or not?

were you heading this year? on vacations?

please keep in touch..

carmen

Wow quite a list on the Frommers link.... but they always have great info.

However. saw that Pamela's restaurant was not on this list. Located at www.numero1guesthouse.com in Ocean Park area..... best meal we had on the whole 10 day trip (3 days precruise stay in osj and 7 day cruise).

Not cheap but really good food.

Just another suggestion.

p.s I agree - why go anywhere if all you want to "experience" is McDonalds etc......

If you just want beer and a steak, just stay home. What a shame and lost opportunity to explore. Why travel if you want everything to be just like home? Boring!!!!

I posted the link to Old Harbor, and I will proudly state that if there is a Brew Pub at any of my destinations, you can count me there.

As for the food, did you look at the magnificent menu that the Old Harbor offers?

gary

There are lots of restauarants in OSJ - you should have no problem finding something. You could always ask the server for a recommendation from the menu as I am sure they have come across others who may not like PR food.

The OP stated he wanted a nice dinner, I didn't read where he said he was looking for fast food.

Texan - Pamela's is on the list. It is 5th from the bottom however they only gave it one star.

Well... If you are really adventurous, you can go to the Hard Rock Cafe, Chilis, or Fridays. To each his own, but why don't you take advantage of being out and about? Argentinian grilles do a great job with steak in Puerto Rico for example (and it is not like home). Why would anyone travel around the world to have a steak and a beer (unless it is German, Czech, or Belgium beer ;) )? Have fun at the local steak and beer place down the street, but don't waste it on a trip to the caribbean. Lame. Explore and learn a little.

carmen

Carmen,

DH and I like to try different cuisine. We enjoyed San Juan when we were there last year. We ate the The Metropol, simple, plain and enjoyable. We are going to eat at La Bombera for breakfast this year. These are two of the obvious places mentioned on these threads. But what can you recommend for lunch/dinner. We don't want it too fancy. Any suggestions?

Carmen,

DH and I like to try different cuisine. We enjoyed San Juan when we were there last year. We ate the The Metropol, simple, plain and enjoyable. We are going to eat at La Bombera for breakfast this year. These are two of the obvious places mentioned on these threads. But what can you recommend for lunch/dinner. We don't want it too fancy. Any suggestions?

Well I'm not Carmen but I can recommend El Picoteo. It is a tapas restaurant in the courtyard of El Convento hotel. It is open air and under a 350+ yr old picoteo tree. They have numerous tapas (like appetizers) to choose from. Each person gets 3-4 and you share. The calamari was heavenly, the lobster empanadas, the ceviche and the shrimp items were also very very good. We stayed here 3 days/ 2 nights and ended up eating dinner and lunch here..... something I never ever do (eat twice at the same place) Very relaxed and charming

Archived