What is the one cruise you will NOT do with children?

Florida_cruisers

If you could mention one single cruise itinerary (not cruiseline) that you will NOT recommend to do with small children (under 9), what will it be??

I am pretty adventurous and I would take my kid -now 1- everywhere with me, but DH is a little more apprehensive about taking him on our travels.

With the under 8YO set, I would not do any of the 'adventure' type cruises (antarctic, galopogas islands) and some of the cruises where the best excursions to truly appreciate the ports are more active.

We've done European trips/cruises with our daughter since she was not quiet 4YO - there was pleanty for us to enjoy together (she still really likes the painting of "venus in the clamshell" as she referred to it from the Ufficio for example).

X-Atlantic wasn't a problem - Burmuda was nice, the European ports were great, and I think my DD as a 5YO had a better time on sea days than I did (I don't sit still well!) For kids old enough for the kids programs (where they can make friends their own age) - an itinerary with lots of sea days generally works fine.

For infants and pre-kids program aged little ones, remember you will be soley in charge of 'entertainment'. If you enjoy time together with your little one, a cruise can be a great opportunity to spend quality time together. If your idea of a cruise is todo parasailing, ziplining, scuba diving, and clubbing (all night), no itinerary (unless it includes a full time nanny!) would be satisfying.

I would have to say a two week long Transatlantic crossing. Maybe a teen ager, but not a toddler or a small child.

Wow, that's the cruise we regularly do with our 4 year old. The increased number of days at sea means more time spent in the kids club and more time for ourselves.

I'd avoid the smaller cruise lines that have limited kids entertainment, otherwise I wouldn't limit it.

If child is under 5 years old, I'd avoid any cruise that go to ports that require vaccinations such as Yellow-Fever, Hep A or Hep B. With that age I don't think she'd find Alaska or Antartica particular interesting ("another boring white bit").

Hmm. Anything that I'd do, I'd take DS on. The only thing that stopped us from cruising with him yet is 1.MONEY and 2. we use cloth diapers, and I couldn't bring myself to deal with them onboard or use disposable diapers for a cruise. But now he's potty trained (thank you cloth dipes!) long before we expected, so it's only money stopping us now!

I'm at home with him anyway, so to me, even if I'm still his only entertainment on a cruise (he's not yet 3), at least I am seeing wonderful things!

And even since he was wee he's enjoyed looking at scenery. He used to talk to the trees outside the window while I changed his dipes... He hugs trees now. :) He loves pretty surroundings and loves seeing new things.

So anywhere I'd go, I'd take him! :D

Most European River cruises won't allow children under 12.....but even if they don't prohibit children they aren't set up for little ones.....and more than that....I want to be somewhat considerate of my fellow cruisers - I have two little boys - pretty well behaved for little boys...but none the less they are little boys - I'm afraid they wouldn't be much appreciated by our fellow cruisers, so I'll save this cruise for another time.

Personally I wouldn't do Tahiti with my little boy....and I wouldn't do it without him either, which means I will have to wait another 10 years before I go. It just seems like most of the lines that go there have very limited children's facilities. It also seems like something folks do for the second honeymoons (or first) and I would not want to encroach on that grownups only atmosphere.

For those of you that are waiting to go to Alaska I can tell you we took our son when he was five and we all had a blast. We did not do the cruise tour. Just a cruise to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria. We mostly did self guided walking tours. He love seeing the whales and bears from the balcony. And he even enjoyed the pool--we went in May and had some glorious weather. So if you are putting off Alaska and see a good price....go for it!!!

For us, any cruise with a decent kid's program is family-oriented so the question is not so much about cruise itineraries to avoid but rather how child-friendly a specific ship is. As others have already pointed out, the parents should pick the itinerary that interests them, and the onboard kid's program can fill in any voids for the kids. So, when taking children, just about any cruise vacation is better than an adults-oriented vacation, e.g. a European bus tours, hiking the Andes, Africa tours, etc.

this is easy but confusing....any anniversary cruise/ vaca...no kids....but anything gos other wise, i want to take my 11 yr ds on a diving live aboard cruise just diving dd and dw do not scuba, so they stay home or do a girl trip, she is 6....

I would say cruises in places like Vietnam, India and the like would not be the best idea for the under 10 set. Also, anything that uses those Zodiac boats for Antarctica and the Galapagos Islands. Places like Tahiti mostly attracts couples and most of the watersports have age limits, so that might not be the best place for younger kids. Trans Ocean sailings might be OK only if there are lots of other kids on board. If not, kids programs are extremely limited and a younger child will get very bored with lots of sea days.

Don't think there is anywhere we wouldn't take our little one as long as there is a good kids program and vaccinations suitable for his age. Travel is so important.

We have only done a transatlantic so far (with DS), but have a UK and a Caribbean booked and will be doing Alaska in 2009 for our tenth wedding anniversary and we will be bringing DS along! I couldn't imagine not having him with us.

I'd happily have take my kids most places, but my hubby, like yours, was more mindfull of where we cruised with them first time. DD was 10, DS was nearly 11.

We ruled out The Med because a lot of the tours were centred around religious buildings with lots of walking, and it would have been "Not another church" etc. With the caribbean you know you are never that far from a beach, which you can tag onto a sightseeing tour - so you all get a bit of something you desire.

River Cruises don't really welcome children, unfortunately China wanted the kids to be over 12 (nearly there!) and it's the cost that's kept us from Antartica (one day) and also Alaska (huge flights costs from the UK in shcool holiday time).

Our kids don't spend heaps of time at the kids club. We want to be part of their holiday fun.

Meal times is a thing to consider. Would your child appreciate formal dining? We've chosen UK ships who don't do formal because our wouldn't.

We've been to the Caribbean and had the kids innoculated, and are going back (gotta make use of those jabs!). Only concern now is if we take malaria meds.

The heat should be another consideration. I presume you'd take an umbrella buggy, but the kids still get very hot and sticky sitting in them - even with you doing all the work.

If you are in the US then 'd suggest you take a short cruise to see how your child and you cope. We're UK so we do b2b 2 weekers :)

Archived