WOW...i didn't know cruising w/kids was a sore topic?!?!

flgatormom

i was posting a question on another board and boy was i told. is the general consensus that kids don't "belong" on cruise ships? we're going on carnival conquest 4/25 with our almost 6 yr old and 2.5 yr old. not that we can change it now but just want to know if i should go prepared for stares/dirty looks/etc. thanks in advance.

You will get no dirty looks, I promise. icon_wink.gif I read your thread on the other board, and don't take them too seriously. The two posters who commented most about it pick on EVERYONE, no matter what the topic. (Trust me, I've been hanging around here for years.) Just ignore them.

We have taken small children on four cruises and have never once received the evil eye. Just be courteous and remove your child from the room if s/he has a meltdown, and all will be fine. You would be best served by preparing yourself to deal with all of the people who will want to stop you in the dining room and hallways to tell you how cute your kids are, how well behaved they have been, or how much they miss their kids and/or wish they had brought them along too. Now, THAT has happened countless times.

Shake off the bad vibes, and get back to looking forward to your cruise! icon_biggrin.gif

Two Little Sailors: Victoria's First and Benjamin's Fourth cruise -- Carnival Victory, October 2003

Benjamin Sails to Bermuda-- Carnival Triumph, May 2002

Benjamin's Birthday Cruise -- Carnival Destiny, Jan. 2002

Benjamin's First Cruise -- Carnival Victory 2000

Paradise 3/04 - Exotic W. Caribbean

Carnival Victory 10/03 - Bahamas

Carnival Triumph 5/02 - Bermuda

Carnival Destiny 1/02 - S. Caribbean

Carnival Victory 10/00 - Nassau

Inspiration 7/99 - S. Caribbean

Tropicale 1/99 - W. Caribbean

Carnival Destiny 7/97 - W. Caribbean

Fantasy 4/96 - Bahamas

Fantasy 7/94 - Bahamas

Hi Cabinforfour!

Based on your suggestion I bought the sit n stroll. We leave in 2 weeks. It seems to be really good. Next I'm going to break out your packing list. Thanks for the advice!

Lauren

Holiday 8/89

Festival 8/90

Fantasy 1/91

Tropicale 8/91

Costa ??? 8/92

American Hawaii ??? 8/94

Imagination 8/96

Radiance 3/02

Summit 4/04

Next week we will be going on our family cruise with our almost 5yr old. This will be his 3rd cruise with us. We think this is a perfect family vacation choice because everyone will get to do what they want! My son loved camp carnival in Dec. and can't wait to go back. The best part is that us parents get some well deserved down time alone!!!

I agree with ninafromct...If cruise ships weren't meant for kids they wouldn't offer the amentities that they do for them!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;4;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

til next cruise on Carnival Pride!

<center>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;9;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until PARADISE!

<center>

Paradise 9/04

Carnival Pride 4/04

Carnival Ecstasy 12/03

Royal Caribbean Navigator2/03

Royal Caribbean Viking Serenade AKA "The Barge"11/01

Carnival Elation 2/00

Carnival Holiday 5/98

Carnival Holiday 11/95

thank you thank you thank you! i was seriously starting to wonder if i'd made a bad decision. i'd love to see the link of the packing list people are talking about? thanks again!! 10 days and counting!! also, would you take your almost 6 yr old snorkeling if they were a strong swimmer with a life jacket? not sure how i feel about this - it'd be just with us, on our own, at the state park in cozumel. thanks!

Replying to your snorkling question ... from shore where the kid could go in and rest if needed ... sure. I wouldn't do an excursion with a 6 year old, however.

The people who would stare are the same people who stare and scold on shore. You almost never run into them. The posts you see are from people who will be vocal here but would never actually say or do anything.

If your child is well behaved and/or you actually parent when the child mis-behaves, you have nothing to worry about.

Have Fun!

I agree with Matt. On our cruise, it was the parents of the 'wild' kids who were getting the dirty looks and it was because they werent doing anything.

I generally find passengers who try to engage our kids in conversation...not shun them. On our trip, we had a LOT of grandparents who missed their grandkids. We were very careful to ask someone sitting if we could join them with our children and were usually thanked for the courtesy.

I wouldnt worry about the others...there are the few that will roll their eyes or be grumpy...but those are the people that are just grumpy anyway and are looking for an excuse.

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

Dear Mom,

No you are not silly...you are a mom, and worry we must do!!

I have enjoyed cruises etc. with both my boys for years and I have learned to never pay too much attention to people who are unpleasant to children.

Enjoy every minute of your cruise with your little ones, they will grow up too quickly.

The very best to you and your family and happy cruising to you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by l929:

Hi Cabinforfour!

Based on your suggestion I bought the sit n stroll. We leave in 2 weeks. It seems to be really good. Next I'm going to break out your packing list. Thanks for the advice!

Lauren

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, Lauren! I think you'll like the Sit N Stroll. It was worth its weight in gold when we used it with Benjamin. Hope you have a great cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding the packing list, I'd be happy to share my packing list/cruising tips that we've found helpful traveling with our infants/toddlers. Feel free to e-mail me at TravelingTot@aol.com if you'd like to see it.

Two Little Sailors: Victoria's First and Benjamin's Fourth cruise -- Carnival Victory, October 2003

Benjamin Sails to Bermuda-- Carnival Triumph, May 2002

Benjamin's Birthday Cruise -- Carnival Destiny, Jan. 2002

Benjamin's First Cruise -- Carnival Victory 2000

Paradise 3/04 - Exotic W. Caribbean

Carnival Victory 10/03 - Bahamas

Carnival Triumph 5/02 - Bermuda

Carnival Destiny 1/02 - S. Caribbean

Carnival Victory 10/00 - Nassau

Inspiration 7/99 - S. Caribbean

Tropicale 1/99 - W. Caribbean

Carnival Destiny 7/97 - W. Caribbean

Fantasy 4/96 - Bahamas

Fantasy 7/94 - Bahamas

flgatormom....

cruising + kids = a winning combination!!

Do not worry!!

I took my 6 year old snorkeling a few years back...with the family. She was a swimmer then..and they required that she wear a life jacket....and they provided her with a "noodle"...to help keep her afloat, too. We all had noodles, actually!

I never once felt that she was unsafe... even whe she kapluncked into the water with all that gear on! I have great pictures...that I will treasure through this lifetime!! icon_biggrin.gif

Boo's Mom

Even the winds and the waves obey him!

Matthew 8:27

Hi,

I know the person who started this thread just left for her cruise, but I wanted to encourage anyone who is thinking of snorkeling with their little ones to DO it! Kids (or adults) don't need to be full swimmers to snorkel--floatation vests keep you plenty safe. Some companies have boogie boards with clear view holes or these big floating view boxes that are very fun for kids when they get tired of doing the snorkel apparatus.

We have done day-long snorkeling tours as well as the "walk in off the beach" snorkeling. The tours are the safest of course because you have people watching out for you. But you need to do your homework and find out which companies cater to the "drink til you puke" crowd--that is not the place for little kids!

If you're going to head in the water off the beach, watch the water for a while and talk to people more familiar with the area than you are. Find out where the fish are, if there are any rocks/coral shallow enough to scrap bodies, if there are areas where riptides are possible, and whether there have been shark sightings (if there are sharks in that area). We were at the beach where the young surfer girl lost her arm last fall in Hawaii and that shark had been seen several times in less than 3 feet of water before that terrible attack! No snorkeling for my 4 year old there!!

Snorkeling is an incredible adventure and great education for little kids, so go for it! icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I was slammed by a young woman on the Carnival board about using camp on a "family" vacation. No she did not have children and the pictures of herself that she posted show that she is very young and has no understanding of what moms and kids go thru and what they enjoy.

I must say that I avoided her posts for a long time but did respond when she needed a question answered.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

I agree - I was shocked that people were so negative towards the idea of taking kids on a cruise but everyone has a right to their opinions.

Either way, how was your cruise and can you share any important tips?

Karen

The cruise industry has found a new 'niche' with family cruising and most cruise lines are favoring family cruises. We are going on our first cruise with our 8 and 11 year old and are looking forward to having the time of our lives. There will always be views from both sides of this type of topic. Remember this...."The most important thing you can give your children is the gift of yourself. Long after they have forgotten the gifts you bought them, they will remember and cherish the time you spent with them." Happy Cruising.

Rhapsody of the Seas "97"

GRAND Princess "98"

DIAMOND PRINCESS 11/06/04

"AND AWAY WE GO"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Proverbs 3:5

<')))><

Roll Call Diamond 11/06/04 click here

Another thing to think about...

If we didn't take our children on these cruises and instill in them the love of cruising, then who will be keeping the cruise industry "afloat" in the future? I think it's wonderful that we have introduced the next generation to cruising so that this exciting travel option will still be around for years to come. Sure, most of us will be cruising for many more years, but who will be doing the cruising after we are gone? Better to get these kids on board while they are young, to learn the cruising ettiquette (sp?) early, so they are not rude adults when they go later in life. icon_wink.gif

Jane

Purple Ribbon Cruise Critic in training

Team Aubergine

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;10;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 until Mariner of the Seas 10/3/04

Radiance of the Seas 5/27/02

Carnival Fantasy 5/13/01

I just found out I could click a person's webshots album and - once in webshots - search a subject. Later tonight I'm going to search for "Adventure Ocean" which is the kids area of my upcoming cruise - I've seen a few pics already and it looked FUN!! I think a cruise is just perfect for a family with kids - I need a rest as well as some quality time with them.

Sharon

Legend of the Seas - Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;8;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

when my kids were young I wouldnt have dreamed of a vaction without them,so they went along on our cruises and now take their own. They had a great time and love cruises and think its the only way to vacation. My son did an all inclusive with one of his friends and said hed rather been cruising..

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;03;27;20;00;00&timezone=pT-2000src="http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif" alt="Time By Escati

• 3 weeks later...

I had to respond. We went on Radisson's Tahiti cruise in 2001 with my 1 1/2 yr old daughter. I was on the boards beforehand, and BOY was it hostile! I felt terrible, doubted myself and prepared for evil eyes and unfriendly passengers. Admittedly, it's more of an 'adult' cruise, but if Radisson really wanted to discourage kids, they would have charged for her as a passenger! Let me tell you, we only got compliments and cooing! I think the other passengers missed their grandkids! Don't worry...well-behaved kids are never out of place on a cruise ship, and badly-behaved kids are out of place at any public place, not just on a ship.

We are taking our 9 yr. old twins on our

August cruise. They have been vacationing with us since they have been 9 months old. I agree with the poster who stated the best gift you can give your children is time with you

especially enjoying a family vacation.

I must say more times than not, the more obnoxious people I encounter on vacations are adults not children. The same type of discussion was posted on an all-inclusive resort board I used to post to.

Everyone enjoy the family vacations, the kids

won't be kids forever, but the unhappy grumpy people will always be around.

Alison

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a point of view from a married couple without kids. I don't think most people hate or dislike kids, we just hate the bad behavior of some children with no manners. :mad: I have been on 26 cruises and have seen some pretty terrible behavior by kids (and yes, I have seen some pretty bad behavor by adults, too!)

But the point is, if you are taking your kids for a "family vacation" and to spend time with them, then please spend time with them and don't just turn them loose when you get on the ship. I have seen (on numerous cruises), kids running & yelling down the hallways at all hours of the day & night banging on cabin doors, jumping in the elevators and punching all the buttons, running in crowded public areas and almost knocking adults down. I think all children should be supervised at all times and a curfew set. There is no reason a child needs to be out wandering around till 2:00 in the morning.

A well-behaved child is a joy to be around.......but a bratty, ill-mannered one is a nightmare! :eek:

I too found Carin's post a touch rude. Just because one does not have children does not mean one cannot express opinions on the subject of children and cruising - ESPECIALLY when the orginal poster was concerned about her kid's getting dirty looks from child-free people.

My view: I have absolutely no problem with well-parented children on cruises. I do have a problem with neglected, unsupervised children on cruises. I have had wonderful experiences with kids on ships and I have witnessed some pretty bad behaviour from kids (and adults) on ships. Adults are responsible for their own behaviour. Kids parents are responsible for their children's behaviour. Do I expect children to behave perfectly - no - but I expect parents to deal with stuff (in other words to vacation WITH their kids not just let them run wild). On my last cruise I can honestly say the parents were excellent. I did not see unsupervised children running amok and the one tantrum I saw was dealt with swiftly and appropriately. My husband even commented on what a nice group of children and parents were on the cruise. However I was on one cruise were a group of pre-teen boys DID run amok. After that experience I try to cruise at times when there will not be many children on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
I too found Carin's post a touch rude. Just because one does not have children does not mean one cannot express opinions on the subject of children and cruising. -

That said, I think it is appropriate for Carin to express her opinion as well. Why is Carin considered rude for expressing her feelings and Catnip is not? Nothing personal, Catnip.

I usually just stick to threads that offer prudent information about cruising. I could care less what others think about me/hubby or our choice to cruise with our six year old. I have to admit I was a little intrigued by the title of this thread, so I decided to check it out. My son does not travel for free or even for a discount. I know it is the price we pay for wanting to travel (cruise) during the summer. No we have yet to pull him out of school and never will. We just prefer saving vacations for when he is not in school. So I do agree with Catnip there. (It was mentioned in another thread) So as long as we are able to pay the full fare for him, he will travel with us. And with that said, my son is very well behaved. We would not have it any other way, even on vacation. My son loved the formal nights on our Celebrity cruise and is looking forward to our next cruise. He has great taste in clothing just like his parents. :) We usually do land vacations and even then we dress accordingly for dinner. Cruising does offer a little something for everyone.

As for toys I am unsure, I will have to check with my six year old. Love the idea of the water balloons, though. :) Oh and Flgatormom hope you had a great cruise.

Did you receive any looks or were people for the most part nice? I am considering the many posts I read from people who appear to dislike children on cruises. I am looking forward to this big break vacation. It will be nice to not cook 3 meals a day and clean constantly for my 3. I would love to read a reveiw from you. Theresa

Archived