RCCL babysitting help!

travlchicky

hi all , my husband and i will be on the adventure of the sea in july 2007, we will be taking our 20 month old son, i have a few questions about babysitting and life onboard with a little guy! (my husband and i have been on 5 cruises before our son was born ) we have also taken him to AI resorts in the USVI so we are all pretty well traveled anyways the questions:

how are the sitters on rccl ?

what are the chances of getting one ?

if we don't get one what is the norm for where we can bring our son with out getting any staredowns in the evening ? we would be VERY repectful if he was to become crabby .... when we were at the resorts we would find a nook in the bar and grab a few drinks ans head on out, is this OK ?

any advice will be appreciated!!!! THANKS

I am interested in this question as well. I am actually traveling on the Serenade 2/24 with my 2 year old and have some of the same concerns. My daughter is pretty well traveled and is used to going out to eat so we know how to manage her if needed. But I am curious about the babysitting hours and quality of sitters as well. I can certainly report when I get back.

I too am interested in information re: the RCI babysitting options. I am hoping to cruise this summer with my 30 mo old. Too young still for Adventure Ocean but I really would like to have some baby free time during the day and night as well. Any info I have found is not clear re: babysitting. Is it just available in cabin for kids this age or do they have group sitting available for a fee? I really don't want my son stuck in the cabin during the day with a sitter.

I do know that they utilize members of the housekeeping staff for in room sitting.

Group sitting is in the evenings only, after 10pm, in the kids club room. In cabin sitting can be had by going to the Purser's office and requesting it. There is a per child/per hour charge for in cabin sitting. Since it's crew members that do the sitting, it's available evenings only, not during the day because the crew members are working---you'll find it's usually the housekeeping staff that do this and they all work during the day cleaning rooms and public areas of the ship. In cabin sitting is on a first come first served basis and if there aren't any volunteers for this, then you're out of luck.

Group sitting is in the evenings only, after 10pm, in the kids club room. In cabin sitting can be had by going to the Purser's office and requesting it. There is a per child/per hour charge for in cabin sitting. Since it's crew members that do the sitting, it's available evenings only, not during the day because the crew members are working---you'll find it's usually the housekeeping staff that do this and they all work during the day cleaning rooms and public areas of the ship. In cabin sitting is on a first come first served basis and if there aren't any volunteers for this, then you're out of luck.

I just wanted that add that group sitting is for the age group eligible for Adventure Ocean.

We were on RCCL Jewel of the Seas two years ago with my then-two year old son. We were there for a wedding, so there were several others who also took advantage of the service.

On the very first day, before we even had access to our stateroom, I went directly to the front desk (what's it called again-it's like the front desk at the hotel) and filled out a form. I asked for a babysitter for every night, and requested that it be the same sitter each night. It was $8 an hour for one child, $10 for two (it's probably slightly more now) with a two hour minimum. Babysitting was also available during the day but we didn't use it. We booked the sitter for 8p-1a every night. We didn't end up staying out that late more than two nights, but it was worth the investment. I'd do it as soon as possible, because I heard they did run out of people who were available. The sitters are people who work in other areas on the ship who babysit during their off times to make extra money. That worried me a little, since the kids club people are all certified instructors, but seriously - is your babysitter at home a certified instructor? I think people don't sign on for this unless they like kids. Everybody in our group had a good experience.

We had late seating for dinner, so early each evening, we'd shower him, order him room service and eat on the balcony with him. We went to dinner at 8, and the sitter played games in the stateroom with him, and took him for walks on the ship with the stroller. She asked if it would be okay, and we figured, what's the harm? It'll be fun for him. Then she'd put him to bed. We'd be waiting in line to get off the ship at the new port in the AM, and people would recognize my son because she'd had him out dancing to the band the night before. Very funny. We'd come home every night and she was sitting quietly by the side of his bed with just the bathroom light on, so sweet.

The sitter (Adela) worked in housekeeping, I think, and was training to work the Excursions desk.

Two years later, he remembers one thing from the cruise: going to the arcade with his buddy (who also was with a sitter). Not the ports, not the ship. Nope. Going to the arcade with the sitter.

End result: we had fun. He had fun. Adela made a few extra dollars. It was awesome. It adds some $$ to your cruise budget but for us it was very worthwhile.

This time (September-can't wait!) he'll be 5, so we'll use the Kids' Club but we'll probably get a sitter for a few late nights again.

MM

Jewel of the Seas - 2/05

Mariner of the Seas - 9/07

Archived