Cruise Insurance

Grace Smith

Besides Seabourn's coverage, you may want to check out InsureMyTrip dot com. I liked being able to choose higher coverage on certain items and lower coverage on others. Since it is a "comparision shopping" site, you don't have to dig through too much fine print to know what's included and what's not.

I agree with jonnycruise, there are definitely alternate options over the Seabourn insurance which is administered by BerkelyCare, a good company. It all boils down to what your insurance needs are, your personal situation and, of course, the cost. This topic has been discussed before on our board. The links below will take you to those threads for you to peruse and hopefully help you regarding this matter.

[thread]236857[/thread]

[thread]274112[/thread]

[thread]373658[/thread]

If you still have questions, ask and we will try and answer them.

Purchasing travel insurance can be confusing (and the fine print does really matter!) Some people like the fact that with Seabourn insurance the process is seamless and you do not have to purchase it until final payment, while still having coverage for pre-existing conditions.

Others do not like paying the higher premium or care that it is a more complex (though not that bad) if a claim has to be made. But most policies exclude pre-existing conditions unless you purchase the insurance (which is non-refundable) when you first deposit your cruise. (You generally get 15 days to do it.) You can still purchase insurance prior to final payment, but generally pre-existing conditions coverage is not included.

Also be careful which third party insurance company you use. There was one popular company that recently was ordered to stop selling insurance in a number of states because of serious irregularities.

WE have never bought the trip insurance--we have taken about 25 cruises--so I guess you could say we are self insured. We do however have the Travel Medical Protection offered by American Express--it covers all overseas medical emergencies including medical evacuation. I think that is most important for us. Once on a Sea Goddess cruise a passenger had to Medical Evac from Turkey--the tab was $40,000.

Archived