Alcohol Policy Leniency

SixEight

Now i know this is, and will always be a tough and heated debate, but I'm looking for an honest answer. Me and my roommates are traveling on the Norwegian Spirit in a few weeks and I was wondering, 2 of us are 20 and 10 months at the time of the cruise, and another is 21 do you think we will have any problem purchasing just a few beers occasionally with dinner and such. And does anyone know if the sail and sign cards have your photo on them? anyone know the prices for ncl pre bar setup for another group of friends who are going?

AFAIK, they are not lenient about the age requirement for purchasing alcohol, which is 21. OTOH, the person who is 21+ will have no problem. Furthermore, those 18-20 are allowed to purchase beer and wine if you provide a Parental Consent form (see below, from NCL's FAQ).

"With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, NCL permits guests between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty (20) to purchase and personally consume wine and beer while on NCL ships with the consent of a parent or legal guardian (“Parental Consent”). Complete details and the Parental Consent form are available on board at the Reception Desk."

I saw a mother checking in with her minor children. The person doing the checking in took a pair of scissors and snipped a corner off of the children's key cards. That makes me think that minors have their cards marked so they won't be served at the bars.

Teri

AFAIK, they are not lenient about the age requirement for purchasing alcohol, which is 21. OTOH, the person who is 21+ will have no problem. Furthermore, those 18-20 are allowed to purchase beer and wine if you provide a Parental Consent form (see below, from NCL's FAQ).

"With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, NCL permits guests between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty (20) to purchase and personally consume wine and beer while on NCL ships with the consent of a parent or legal guardian (“Parental Consent”). Complete details and the Parental Consent form are available on board at the Reception Desk."

I will be doing the parental consent when I go on my cruise, but is it just beer and wine? No hard alcohol?

Two things with this post--

1. NCL requires an older person(25 or older, I believe) to be responsible for the young person(under the age of 21) traveling on the ship.

2. Parental consent forms are to be filled out by the parent traveling on the same ship at the same time.

So if you are traveling with your parent, you should be fine with beer and wine drinks. Anything other, it would be against NCL rules.

And you, as a college student, would not want to break the rules, would you? :rolleyes:

Two things with this post--

1. NCL requires an older person(25 or older, I believe) to be responsible for the young person(under the age of 21) traveling on the ship.

2. Parental consent forms are to be filled out by the parent traveling on the same ship at the same time.

So if you are traveling with your parent, you should be fine with beer and wine drinks. Anything other, it would be against NCL rules.

And you, as a college student, would not want to break the rules, would you? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure the other person would have to be only 21, not 25. Before we had booked with ncl, we were going to book with carnival for spring break. Turns out, I had to be 21 to go since everyone else I am going with is 21. I double checked with ncl, and if you're under 21 the person in the room has to be 21 years or older. Also checked with ncl, and a notarized letter will work fine if my parents aren't traveling with me.

A couple of comments

NCL only requires someone 21 or older.

Nothing to stop the 21 yo from purchasing a helmet of beer to share except the contract :eek: :D

Minors

A passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years or older who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 21 passenger throughout the cruise. This includes, but is not limited to, preventing the purchase or consumption of alcohol and preventing the violation of any ship rules.

The parental consent form only works if the parents are onboard and assume liability .

I am sure SixEight you will mange to have a few beers onboard, no problem in most ports. Keep in mind if you get stupid drunk you run the risk off you and the 21 year old being put off the ship before you return

I'm pretty sure the other person would have to be only 21, not 25. Before we had booked with ncl, we were going to book with carnival for spring break. Turns out, I had to be 21 to go since everyone else I am going with is 21. I double checked with ncl, and if you're under 21 the person in the room has to be 21 years or older. Also checked with ncl, and a notarized letter will work fine if my parents aren't traveling with me.

When do you speak with NCL about the Notarized Letter, and what does it have to include??

You had better check this pretty closely. Have your travel agent look into it for you. Yes, you can occupy a cabin if one person is over 21, but I think the parents have to be traveling with you. I would check one more time. NMnita

When do you speak with NCL about the Notarized Letter, and what does it have to include??

I called ncl about a month ago, right after booking the cruise and realizing that I would not be able to purchase alcohol being under 21. I told the lady I talked to about my situation ( I turn 21 a week after the cruise) and she said as long as I had a notarized letter from a bank stating that I was aloud to drink from my parents, that I would have permission on the cruise to purchase wine and beer. And I clarified with her that my parents would not be on board with me. I don't know exactly what the notarized letter has to say, but I plan on calling ncl sometime this week to find out. I'll keep you posted :)

Not to burst your bubble, but you need to remember that just because an NCL Customer Service rep says something is okay (such as bringing the letter rather than having your parents onboard with you), doesn't make it okay on the ship. Many people have reported that they were not allowed to have the beer and wine waiver without their parents actually being there. Some parents have reported that they had to fill out the form the day of boarding at the pier, and could not do it in advance. Also, a notarized letter won't do it for you, it must be the form provided by the cruise line. The rules, as enforced on your ship for your cruise, will be what prevail, not what a CS rep told you before your cruise.

It's certainly possible that you will be able to do this, but don't be surprised if they tell you no at the pier. This is a direct quote from the NCL online FAQs:

Guests must be age 21 to purchase or drink alcohol** however ages 18 years to 20 years may purchase and consume beer and wine only with a completed parental consent form. This policy is not applicable to the NCLA vessels or Hawaii and Alaska itineraries. This form must be given to the reception desk on board the vessel by the parent or guardian accompanied by the young adult with proof of age and relationship.

beachchick

Archived