Alarm Clocks?

Dolfan-Neil

Hi everyone,

We're traveling on the Pearl leaving on Feb 16th and from my previous cruise experiences (over 7 years ago) there were no on board alarm clocks, so you needed to find a way to wake up in time to get ready for your excursions.

Does anyone know whether I need to bring an alarm clock or if the ship now offers some way of setting a wakeup alarm?

Thanks,

Most ships offer a wake-up call on your in-room phone. I never really trust those, have had a couple not call at the right time and found I was really late to what ever I was trying to get up early for.

My cell phone has an alarm feature and I set that. Bring a charger so you can use it the whole trip. The charger takes less room than an alarm clock and I bring my phone anyways.

My phone auto reset itself to any time changes we encountered. [i think you can turn off this if you want so it stays set to ship time.] Just something to be aware of if you haven't encountered this already.

Not sure if they have alarm clocks on the Pearl (doubtful as I've never been on a ship with alarm clocks). However, you can always set up a wakeup call.

No clocks but the automated wake up call works great. Better yet hang that room service card out the night before. They will call 5 minutes before they come and you will have coffee as you get ready for the day.

Hi everyone,

We're traveling on the Pearl leaving on Feb 16th and from my previous cruise experiences (over 7 years ago) there were no on board alarm clocks, so you needed to find a way to wake up in time to get ready for your excursions.

Does anyone know whether I need to bring an alarm clock or if the ship now offers some way of setting a wakeup alarm?

Thanks,

If you are in a suite they have alarm clocks. We always bring one with us and also let reception know we want a early call. Works every time! Good for your hotel stay as well. Bon Voyage! :) :)

After my last cruise I have officially added "Travel alarm clock" to my pack list. I do use the wake up call service when we need to be up, but that doesn't solve the problem of never knowing what time it is! I wake up a lot in the night and it drives me crazy not knowing what time it is. I don't wear a watch, so a small clock is now a must. :)

I guess it depends on the ship. On the Spirit we had a clock that was part of the cabin phone. There was also a clock on TV channel 3 where the Bridge Report is published.

As for an alarm clock, I never even thought of it as I see the ship as basically a hotel (as does NCL, with Hotel Managers managing about 80% of the crew). We just called Reception and asked for a wake up call when we needed one. They never made a mistake.

Teri

I bought this travel alarm clock for our cruise, but my husband and I have been using it regularly now! It's great... big numbers, bright backlight when touched, and VERY portable.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=nightfinder-ii-travel-alarm-clock&categoryId=48008&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4529&cat4=2932&shop_method=pp&feat=4529-tn

M48008_Orange.jpg.899902ad7d1098a68e284a3ac2cfa884.jpg

If you are in a suite they have alarm clocks. We always bring one with us and also let reception know we want a early call. Works every time! Good for your hotel stay as well. Bon Voyage! :) :)

I guess this depends on the ship too, because the Penthouse's on the Sun do not have alarm clocks.

I agree with Shoreguy, use the room service and they will wake you before they serve you your coffee in the morning.

No clocks but the automated wake up call works great. Better yet hang that room service card out the night before. They will call 5 minutes before they come and you will have coffee as you get ready for the day.

Shoreguy,

We started doing this on our first balcony cruise a couple years ago! What a way to spoil yourself! :D Love it!

Shelly

If you want to wake up early you could also leave the curtains open in front of the balcony or window so that when the sun comes up, it will wake you.

If you are in an inside cabin, you can leave the television on to the bridge camera station and when the sun comes up, the television will get brighter and so will the room. The brighter the room, the more chance of waking up early.

I use a travel alarm clock. It was cheap and it is small. It looks similar to the one posted above. I had brought the kind you plug in on one of our cruises and it never kept the right time. It must of had something to do with the ships electricity.

It must of had something to do with the ships electricity.

That's correct! The electricity on a ship doesn't stay constant, unlike the electricity at home. Many of us have experienced the lights dimming (or going out:eek: !) for a few seconds!

From what I understand, that's why there are no clocks in the staterooms.

I bought this travel alarm clock for our cruise, but my husband and I have been using it regularly now! It's great... big numbers, bright backlight when touched, and VERY portable.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=nightfinder-ii-travel-alarm-clock&categoryId=48008&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4529&cat4=2932&shop_method=pp&feat=4529-tn

Yea, this is what I was gonna say. You can get one of these things for little money. "Better be safe than sorry"

I bring a smart set Atomic alarm clock. So if the power does flicker - it auto sets it's time - even adjusting to time zones. I have one I use at home also! I could not go with out knowing what time it is - even if I was on vacation!

Archived