Upsell Veterans -- $'s for OV to Balcony

IMCSICK

For those of you that have received upsell offers in the past, what kind of $'s are we looking at to go from OV to Balcony? Also, if it is a price per person, would a quad cabin be charged for all four, or just the first two?

If a balcony was no longer available, would we possibly be able to move up the food chain from a lowly "G" to a higher OV?

I know there's no guarantee of any upsell offers...but one can always hope! ;)

About all I can tell you is that we booked through a budget online carrier on Nov 25th or so for our cruise on Jan 23rd. A week later they called us back and said NCL had offered us an upgrade, from OV to balcony for $350 flat. DH thanked them but said that was outside of our budget. They then asked him to hold a moment and contacted NCL to see if they could get 'additional discounts', then offered him the balcony for an additional $250 ($125 pp). We happily took that and truly enjoyed our balcony room! :D

Teri

Does anyone know what is a good deal (or average upsell cost) from a BA balcony to a Penthouse suite (AE or AD)? Or to think even bigger, to an AA Owner's suite?

Yes, I know, I am dreaming. :) It would be nice though, to get that call! We sail on April 28 on the PoAM and final payment for everyone is next Monday. I am hoping we get a call next week! :)

Michelle

We had made our final payment on a minisuite guarantee for an April cruise on POH. I was later informed they upgraded us to a minisuite mid ship. (This mini suite was a change from our original balcony cabin which was $500 more per person - somehow I saw a cheaper price online and called my TA and she was able to change us).

Just 2 weeks ago (2 weeks after final payment), we got an upsell call to a penthouse suite right at the front of the ship for $365 per person. We had read great things about having a butler and loved the idea a HUGE balcony and bigger cabin, so we took it.

Believe it or not, but our NEW penthouse suite is cheaper than what I was originally going to pay for a balcony stateroom. PRETTY COOL !!! We can't wait!!!

We were upsold on he SPirit from an OV to a balcony for $250.00 total

I think that's what our upsell price was also (on the Jewel). Strange thing about our upsell was that they offered an upsell to a Balcony Gty (which I hadn't heard of before). Especially strange was that our booking was for four people (and they normally won't even sell a gty into any category for more than 2 people).

Within a couple hours of our accepting the upsell, they had an assignment for us in a BA. Needless to say, we were pleased.

-Monte

I hope I get the call too! I wonder how many upsells there are on one sailing?

There is no way of knowing. I depends entirely on how well the cruise is selling, what categories are selling well (and which aren't), and other variables. If you're on a holiday cruise or school break time, the ship may very well be completely sold out well before the cruise; thus, no upsells for that cruise. There far too many factors for anyone to be able to give you an accurate guess. (Just keep those fingers crossed!)

beachchick

Booked EE oceanview cabin last year for the 4/16/07 sailing on the POH. At the time of booking there was a 5 category upgrade special so we ended up with a BC balcony. 2 days ago was offered an upsell to AE penthouse for $350 per person. We took it! It's worth it just for the change of location. Our BC was starboard side at the front of the ship. Now we have an AFT balcony AND in a penthouse suite with all the perks!!!

Does anyone know what is a good deal (or average upsell cost) from a BA balcony to a Penthouse suite (AE or AD)? Or to think even bigger, to an AA Owner's suite?

Yes, I know, I am dreaming. :) It would be nice though, to get that call! We sail on April 28 on the PoAM and final payment for everyone is next Monday. I am hoping we get a call next week! :)

Michelle

Michelle:

I looked at the old booking website and see that in the lowest category outside cabins they are only selling guarantees now which means there aren't actually any rooms in those cats. So we should be upgraded for sure, but how high I don't know. The lowest category balcony is also on guaranteed status. I wonder how many cabins on our sailing are still available?

Keep in mind that the price of an upsell is based on what you paid for your current stateroom and the current price of the stateroom you are being offered.

I guess I'm extremely lucky. I paid a LOT less by booking with Travelocity than ANY OTHER online TA. I called American Express Travel, Orbitz, Priceline, JetBlue Cruises, and every other one I could think of. I can honestly say I paid $400-$500 less than everyone for an AF Mini-Suite.

I got a call from Travelocity on behalf of NCL to upgrade to an AB Penthouse for $1200. I declined. I got a call the next week, and they offered us the same room for $500 ($250pp).

Who knows who gets the call, and why, but I guess we are all the fortunate ones! :D

No, you don't have to be booked into a guarantee. We got a very good upsell from a specific BA to an AA for our next cruise :) !

BTW, an upsell means you pay extra for a better stateroom (but not nearly as much as the "listed" price), an upgrade is "free".

I have heard of more people who book guarantee's getting upgrades.

IMHO, you have a better chance of being offered an upsell or getting an upgrade if you use a TA who books a lot with the specific cruise line.

Whoo hoo! We got the visit from the upsale fairy! We went from a catagory C to a BB for $175pp. We have never had a balcony now we have two in one year! This one due to an upsell and the other due to a special sale on balconies after I booked an OV. As I told my TA, it was destiny for us to be on these cruises this year.

Whoo hoo! We got the visit from the upsale fairy! We went from a catagory C to a BB for $175pp. We have never had a balcony now we have two in one year! This one due to an upsell and the other due to a special sale on balconies after I booked an OV. As I told my TA, it was destiny for us to be on these cruises this year.

Outstanding! Good for you.

Of course you realize balconies are addictive, right? ("Psst, little girl, the first one's cheap..." and before you know it, you're hooked.) We don't cruise without a balcony. We cruise less often (probably a lot less often), but we don't care. The balcony is a priority for us.

beachchick

("Psst, little girl, the first one's cheap..." and before you know it, you're hooked.)

beachchick

LOL! I love this! I suspect it will be true. Two years ago we got a free upgrade from inside to OV on our trip to Alaska. Now DH says it is worth paying extra for the window. Let's see what he says after two balconies!

Archived