Mal de debarquement

DedeM

Does anybody else suffer from this? It happened to me last year and was tormenting me for at least a week. I got off the ship on 1/28 and I'm still rocking. If this is what I can expect each time I cruise now, I may not take so many cruise vacations anymore. *cries*

I started taking Bonine yesterday after dinner. I felt good last night, but I could barely get up this morning and I'm so sleepy.

What do you do to conquer this awful feeling? When I read that people have it for years, I was :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mal de debarquement Syndrome (MdDS) is a rare condition usually occurring after a cruise, airplane flight, or other motion event. Symptoms most frequently reported include a persistent sensation of motion, usually described as rocking, swaying, or bobbing; extreme fatique; imbalance; and "brain fog". Many people experience a short-term sensation of movement after a motion event such as being on a boat or treadmill. Episodes generally occur for short periods of time after the motion event has taken place. This is sometimes referred to as "land-sickness" which is comparable to sea-sickness. However, in the case of MdDS sufferers, it can persist for many months or even many years, often leading to various stages of disability. There is no known cause or cure, so more direct patient research is needed.

The name of the condition is French for disembarkation sickness.

I don't know that this will give you any comfort, but yes, I have to deal with this as well. In my case it is most likely to be triggered by traveling in boats or trains. Since I love cruising and we are also sailors, it has been quite a problem for me. I experienced it for the first time about twenty years ago after a one-day "cruise to nowhere" with my grandmother. My episodes can last from a few days to months. I'm not aware of any effective treatment for it. One of my doctors suggested that taking Valium or a similar tranquilizer while in the boat might help prevent it (because it suppresses your vestibular system's attempts to compensate for the motion), but I'm not really fond of this type of drug and haven't tried it yet. FWIW, I have since developed other dizziness/vertigo/tinnitus issues that may be related. Good luck with it!

I've had the same thing each time we've cruised. I learned from the smart people on this board that I need to keep taking Bonine for a few days after we get home next time. I'm sorry to hear that the Bonine makes you sleepy -- I can't remember, can you take it once a day in the evening so the sleepiness would be a good thing? Hopefully you will only need to get through that for a few more days & you'll be back to normal.

I've had the same thing each time we've cruised. I learned from the smart people on this board that I need to keep taking Bonine for a few days after we get home next time. I'm sorry to hear that the Bonine makes you sleepy -- I can't remember, can you take it once a day in the evening so the sleepiness would be a good thing? Hopefully you will only need to get through that for a few more days & you'll be back to normal.

When I took bonine on the ship in the morning, I nearly fell asleep on my dinner plate LOL. Of course dumb me had champagne before dinner - I didn't know. :o

So when I came home last night, I took it after work - after dinner so i could sleep it off if necessary. Unfortunately I woke up even more sleepy than I was last night. :rolleyes: I will continue to take it over the weekend though to see what happens. I really hope it helps.

I've been following some links on the wikipedia website and found a couple of support sites.

Seanchaicrew: I did see that xanax was recommended and I do have that, so i took it. I'll do anything at this point. I'm sorry you've had this for so long :(

I'm really nervous because in May we'll be flying to Vancouver, sailing Alaska for a week, taking a train ride in the Yukon, a helicopter ride to a glacier, and a small boat ride to see the whales.

I wonder just how awful this will be when I get home! :eek: :eek:

How about taking it before you go to bed. My friends took their bonine each night before bedtime so they weren't so tired during the day time. I'm not sure how they would affect your MdDS but it might be worth a try.
That was my m.o. last night - after dinner. I've been sleepy all day, I'm afraid it's not going to make a lot of difference.

I have to admit though, the xanax seemed to help a little bit.

Stay aboard the ship! Find a way to make it doctor's orders and bill your insurance- nice racket if you can pull it off.

Please don't misconstrue my teasing, I have enormous sympathy and actually get a touch of this myself. Just for an hour or so after getting off (or dragged off kicking and screaming), never needed meds. Wish I could afford my own clever cure...

Best of luck, hope you find a nice easy resolution for this.

I don't want to get flamed as this is an honest question. Are you folks putting us on? Is there actually such a thing? If so, that is amazing. I just thought when I felt a little wobbly after a cruise I just needed to get my "land legs" back. I guess it is true that you learn something new everyday. I am not making light of this malady. Just never heard of it (along with millions of other things).

I don't want to get flamed as this is an honest question. Are you folks putting us on? Is there actually such a thing? If so, that is amazing. I just thought when I felt a little wobbly after a cruise I just needed to get my "land legs" back. I guess it is true that you learn something new everyday. I am not making light of this malady. Just never heard of it (along with millions of other things).

No flames from me but I did see something on a news show just last week about this. I too feel the rocking and sway after I get off. It last a few days so I guess I am lucky. It is funny but I don't get sicksick in even the roughest seas. Pat

I don't get seasick either. I love the "motion of the ocean" as they sing in the show. My DH has trouble walking and he always does metter on a ship. Somehow his brain compensates for the slight motion.

You know what they say, "You can tell the drunks on board. They are the ones who are walking straight when everyone else is tilting".

I am glad to learn something new.

I'm pleased to say that I think this syndrome has left me as of today. :D I still have a touch of brain fog and the occasional lurch, but it's much more tolerable. Xanax is a godsend!

I feel very fortunate it only lasted 2 weeks. I read some very sad stories on a MdDS support site. Some people have had it for years. Ugh!

I'm really nervous because in May we'll be flying to Vancouver, sailing Alaska for a week, taking a train ride in the Yukon, a helicopter ride to a glacier, and a small boat ride to see the whales.

I wonder just how awful this will be when I get home! :eek: :eek:

I suffer from this as well and I also continue to take Bonine. Try a half of a pill that might help with the drowziness.

Your Alaska itin made me laugh because we're doing the same things except flying into Seattle and taking Amtrak to Vancouver...I can only imagine how dizzy I will be by the end of these 11 days :eek: ! I know I'll be taking Bonine for at least 2 weeks all toled.

I suffer from this as well and I also continue to take Bonine. Try a half of a pill that might help with the drowziness.

Your Alaska itin made me laugh because we're doing the same things except flying into Seattle and taking Amtrak to Vancouver...I can only imagine how dizzy I will be by the end of these 11 days :eek: ! I know I'll be taking Bonine for at least 2 weeks all toled.

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely do that on our Alaskan cruise. Between the bonine and the xanax I'll save a fortune on the liquor bill! ;)

Then when it's over, we can come back here and complain to each other. :D

Archived