any more code reds on the Westerdam?

Happy Cruisers 2

My parents and their friends just returned from the Westerdam on Super Bowl Sunday, and they only said that a lot of passengers had the sniffles. No Norovirus. No code red precautions.

Bring your own sanitizer, though, and be careful. DH and I use our sanitizer every time we "sit down"... in a deck chair, in the theater, etc. In getting from there to here, we probably touched something, so let's be careful. I want to enjoy my cruise too much to take any chances.

got off Westerdam yesterday. We were in code red for about half the cruise. Mon was 1st formal night and we had the crew physician (Gracielle Lopez) dining at our table. We talked about "what ifs" that night w/ our table mates. From reading Cruise Critic, I knew quite a bit about what happens in code red (no salt/pepper shakers on table, no self-serve at Lido, no hot tubs, etc.). The Dr. was pretty surprised by how much I knew. I can't remember if the outbreak started on Tues or Wed morning - think it was Wed.

There were initially about 50 people the 1st night, then 10, then 5 more. I think the total was around 75 or so. The captain made several announcements and actually criticized several of the quarantined folks since they left their cabins stating how irresponsible these people were.

I heard that they actually tracked the outbreak to patient zero. He was vomiting on the plane to FLL but lied on his paperwork when he checked in at the HAL pier. They ask you to fill out a form and indicate if you have had any stomach ailments, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. w/in 24 or 48 hrs before the cruise. This person caused the illness of many and ruined their vacations by his selfishness. Despicable!

The crew was very visible around the ship as they cleaned, cleaned and cleaned. Hand sanitizers were everywhere. Lunch lines in the Lido were long the 1st day since everything had to be served. Lunch at HMC also had very long lines. We ate late that day and the lines had dissipated by then. The captain came ashore to scope it out and actually apologized in his announcement later than evening. They had staff from all areas of the ship helping in the lines including some of the singers from the cast!

Remember, wash, wash, wash your hands constantly. Always use the hand sanitizer both before you get your food in the Lido and right before you eat it (in case you touched something in line). We were diligent and were healthy the entire cruise.

I didn't find the code red to be too awful. It was a bit of a hassle, but not horrible.

BTW – if you have a chance, go see the Filipino crew show. Gracielle has a beautiful voice as do the other singers. We were pleasantly surprised by the singers, but very bored by the overly long dances.

I was on the Westerdam and I got hit with Norovirus on Tuesday night. I put myself in isolation along with my mother. I did everything I was supposed to do. I brought Lysol and sprayed my room, I carried my hand gel and used it often (as well as using theirs), I washed my hands constantly, I also brought Clorox wipes and wiped my entire cabin down. I still got it.

Worst part is my mother got it on Friday. She is 76 years old and it was her first cruise. It was our special "mother daughter" cruise. She got hit very hard and it is now Monday and she is still trying to recover. We were isolated again. We missed Tortola and Half Moon Cay. It was quite honestly a nightmare. I am sure mom will never cruise again.

HAL compensated us $100 a day each for the confinement. When you pay for a suite, $100 a day does not cut it. And what upset me was the statement "we compensate you while in isolation where other cruiselines will just put you off the ship." I could not believe that!

Even though they compensated us, I am not 100% happy with HAL on this subject. The compensation should be in step with what you paid for your cruise. I feel as though I put over $3000 in the toilet -- literally.

On Saturday, the stress of trying to figure out what to do on disembarkation took a toll. First I was told to be ready at 8:00 and they were sending new luggage tags (my mother was still in isolation). I waited and they never came. I called again and was told to be ready at 7:30 and the luggage would be picked up from our room and not to put it out. They said the new black tags were on their way. They never came. Then I get a call advising me that my mother could disembark early but I had to wait until my time, which was scheduled for 9:45. I blew a gasket! What the hell made them think I was leaving my 76-year old mother to be disembarked ill without me? The girl that called was obviously embarrassed to tell me this and she apologized. She said she told her supervisor that I would want to disembark with my mother. She said she would tell the supervisor again.

I waited for a few minutes and called back. I got someone else who finally told me I could disembark with my mother. IF the answer had not been that, I was going to break isolation and go to the front desk and take the roof off the place.

Shortly after that I received a call that the luggage would be picked up at 6:30 am and that they were sending red tags for it. They said we had to be ready to be picked up at 7:00 am. They said the tags were on their way. This was at 10:00 pm. I went to bed at midnight and the tags were still not there.

So what did happen on disembarkation day? We got up at 5:30 to be ready. They came at 7:00 to get the luggage and were surprised we did not have tags. They had to send someone down for them. We waited to be picked up in the cabin until almost 7:45. They took us to the piano bar where one man remarked "welcome to the leper colony." Customs came to check our passports and then we finally started off the ship.

When we got out they tried to tell me I had to get on a bus. I said no, my husband was in the port waiting for me and I wasn't getting on any damn bus. My poor mother was in a wheelchair and getting upset. The man said "you have to talk to that guy over there." I went up to him and said I have transportation and all I need is my luggage. I am not getting on a bus. He pointed to the luggage and kept on with whatever he was doing. I parked my mom on the curb, paged my husband, and he got there in a minute. I got mom in the car and then got the luggage.

I was very glad to get home.

Misty oh what a nightmare! I hope your mother is now feeling better. Sounds like Code Red is no big deal unless you are actually someone who gets sick and then its a VERY big deal.

We took out medical trip insurance for our cruise and I wonder if it would cover any days of confinement.

We are on the cruise next week as well and have been paying close attention to what is going on. I realize that most people are not very concerned about noro but I will be 16 weeks pregnant at the time of the cruise and it is a big deal to me. My doctor told me that I should not go if they are under a code red and so I have been keeping a close eye on the situation, or as close as possible since each time I speak to someone at HAL I get a different story. Finally I contacted the CDC directly to get their latest information. They said as of 2/11 as passengers disembarked the total count of sick was 146 or 8% of passengers and additional 1% staff. She said they will be under a code red on the ship for at least 4 additional days and if they have two percent of this cruise sick then HAL must contact the CDC. I will be calling them again on Thursday to see if they have any new information, I can forward that info if you would like. Hope everything is cleared up by then, I really was looking forward to this trip!!

Sabbie

sorry about the double post

We are on the cruise next week as well and have been paying close attention to what is going on. I realize that most people are not very concerned about noro but I will be 16 weeks pregnant at the time of the cruise and it is a big deal to me. My doctor told me that I should not go if they are under a code red and so I have been keeping a close eye on the situation, or as close as possible since each time I speak to someone at HAL I get a different story. Finally I contacted the CDC directly to get their latest information. They said as of 2/11 as passengers disembarked the total count of sick was 146 or 8% of passengers and additional 1% staff. She said they will be under a code red on the ship for at least 4 additional days and if they have two percent of this cruise sick then HAL must contact the CDC. I will be calling them again on Thursday to see if they have any new information, I can forward that info if you would like. Hope everything is cleared up by then, I really was looking forward to this trip!!

Sabbie

Misty oh what a nightmare! I hope your mother is now feeling better. Sounds like Code Red is no big deal unless you are actually someone who gets sick and then its a VERY big deal.

We took out medical trip insurance for our cruise and I wonder if it would cover any days of confinement.

I took mom to the doctor on Sunday and then again last night the "going problem" started at 5:00 and continued through the night. I took her to the doctor, who sent us to the emergency room. She spent the day there on antibiotics, potassium, and another IV. I had to take a day off work. She is feeling better and I hope the worst is behind us (no pun intended :p ).

I spent one day reading my medical insurance policy. I will have to call the company as it was very confusing. It covers if you leave the ship, but was vague about being in isolation.

Since I spent most of yesterday sleeping and today at the hospital, I will take my policy to work tomorrow and call on my lunch hour.

I have a cruise on the Carnival Valor on March 11. Needless to say I am nervous. We are going with another couple who have never cruised before. My friend is not so sure about it and if she gets it, ohmigod! It will be hell to pay. Her husband asked me not to talk about it when we see them this weekend.

Archived