Labeling Camera Equipment

frost63

Hello everyone. I'm a new CC member and first-time poster. I want to label our digital camera and camcorder with name and phone number. Any advice on how to permanently id the equipment would be appreciated. My wife and I sail on the 2/17 Noordam. The new ideas we've gained from reading these boards have been very helpful in our cruise planning. Thanks to all.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

You could either buy an etcher (Sears), if you think you're ok with etching it yourself. Other option is to take it to a jeweler and have them engrave it.

Any advice on how to permanently id the equipment would be appreciated.

Are you absolutely, positively sure that that your current phone number will last longer than the camera(s)? :D And that you won't ever want to sell/give the camera(s) to some one else? :) Personally, I just write down the serial numbers of my cameras as a proof of ownership should a lost/stolen item ever be recovered.

We live in the Caribbean and I found a lovely new camera on a public bench. Sat there with it for about an hour, no one claimed it. Three ships in Port, I sent it to the Purser of one of them, figured it had a 33% chance of getting back to it's owner. If it was only labeled with a phone number or address I would have gladly sent it on it's way home.:)

B.

Everyone, thanks for your suggestions. JTL513, I had not considered the cameras "outliving" the address and phone number- good thought! I registered them with Customs so I do have the serial numbers recorded.

We sail Saturday, so thanks for the last minute help.

Everyone, thanks for your suggestions. JTL513, I had not considered the cameras "outliving" the address and phone number- good thought! I registered them with Customs so I do have the serial numbers recorded.

Maybe you could etch your initials for "ownership identification" and then stick a replaceable label, like an envelope return-address label, over that?

Thanks to this thread, I just replaced my old mailing label with a new one for my camera and bag. I had forgotten all about having a new address. :)

If someone finds my camera and wants to get it back to me, it will be very easy. I would do the same for someone else.

I don't think that I would sit on a park bench for an hour waiting for someone to come claim their camera. I probably would have left a note with my address, or turned it into a nearby store. I commend you, Betsy's Mom. ;)

BTW - In St. Thomas, I did leave my camera in a taxi as we were heading to shop. The taxi driver tracked us down about a block later. he could have easily driven off and claimed it for himself. Luckily, he checks his cabs every time he let's off a fare.

That's a great idea! I wonder if the park bench camera had cruise photos?

For anyone cruising and flying, be sure to stick a paper inside the top of your suitcase, explaining your itinerary.

ARHG! I just remembered that I need to change the address on my luggage. Thanks again!

Archived