Has anyone been on the Sapphire to Alaska in May?

brendielee

We will be sailing in May on the Sapphire, being first timers I have so many questions...

1. When we did our 'personalizer' on the princess website and said what kind of fruit and soda we would like in our mini-suite, do we get charged for that?

2. So many people talk about the over the door shoe holder to save counter space, etc. is there really that little room in the bathroom?

3. I am correct to assume that I need to bring my own shampoo, conditioner, what about soap?

4.. I understand that there is a covered pool, is it possible to go swimming in Alaska in May?

5. What do you think about this cruise so early in the season?

Thanks so much...

Brenda

No charge for the fruit in any room. You may have to ask your steward for it even through you signed up for it.

There is little counter space in the bathroom but there is space under the counter.

Toiletries are provided every day if you use them up.

There is a pool that has a movable cover so you can go swimming in Alaska in May.

As for too early, all depends on what the weather is like. It may be just more like what we think Alaska should be like. I was in Fairbanks in Aug a few years ago and it was 70 degrees at 11 PM, I was surprised that i could wear a short-sleeved shirt that time of night. Perhaps you will get the coldness of the real Alaska.

We went on the first southbound Alaska cruise of the season last year in May, on Diamond.

Yes, the days (very early mornings) out on deck were rather cold to say the least, and very breezy, even though we were travelling quite slowly (but we chose to be up on the Observation Deck for the best views which is completely open to the elements). But as we headed further south we were amazed how warm it got. So much so that we actually got sun burnt one day out on deck. Juneau was in the 70's, and definately t-shirt weather.

But, no doubt many will say, one year can be great, then next can be awful. But it is not impossible.

I have no clue why Princess asks your preference for soda as they don't provide any free of charge unless you are elite. If you are elite, they do not go off of your preferences.

Shampoo and conditioner are provided. I still bring my own.

I have never had the need to bring the shoe organizer, even when in inside cabins. The minsuites have a nice size bathroom.

I have been to Alaska many times in May and you can be cool or can get a sun burn - prepare for both.

People do swim in Alaska, even in the outside pools. If you want to swim, bring your suit as you will be able to use the regular pool or the enclosed pool.

I LOVE cruising in May! It is the best time to see Alaska IMO.

We loved our cruise to Alaska on Sapphire! Check out our review and pics:

The Halls Cruise to Alaska Again

I think the ports are a bit different this year but you can see how nice it is. You will also notice a pic of a brave soul daring the pool, while my DW stands there all bundled up in her cold weather gear!

If you use any of the soda or bottled water in the room, your steward will charge it to your cruise card. The fruit is free.

You will have a GREAT cruise!

We took the Sapphire two years ago when it was a RT out of Seattle. Our cruise was mid-June. Although the kids were all brave enough to sit in a hot tub while it was raining on them, I couldn't do it.

Ketchikan was cold and rainy early in the morning, but improved by 9:00. Great little town to walk around in.

Skagway was quite warm the day we were there. Probably in the 70's. Also a great little town to walk around and shop in.

You'll love the Sapphire!

Juneau was probably in the 60's. A little bit too commercial there for me, but still a nice town.

Loved Alaska last May....snow on the mountains, spring popping out in the towns, lots of wildlife. And we did swim in both the outdoor and the indoor pools. For some reason, the outdoor pool seemed much warmer. Also enjoyed the hot tubs late in the evening....gets dark around 11 pm so it was rather fun to watch the sun set after dinner and the show from the hot tub.

Happy Cruising.

Archived