Ketchikan tour?

christianmom5

We will be on the NCL Pearl in May with ports of Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria. We will be renting a car in Skagway to drive to Emerald Lake, visit Carcross, etc. In Juneau, I'm still having a little difficulty deciding between the flight to Taku Glacier Lodge or going on a whale watching trip. This leaves Ketchikan. Nothing really sounds outstanding there. We love great scenery, would love a cruise to the glaciers, but understand that this port doesn't include glacier cruises, would have to change plans in one of the other ports. Are there any canoe or boat trips that anyone's taken with absolutely beautiful scenery, wildlife, just getting away from everyone?? We also considered taking a tour to the Misty Fjords, but I'm not sure if we could swing the $$ for the plane ride, and the boat doesn't sound as spectacular. I would love someone's input who has been there. Another detail to mention is that our ship leaves Ketchikan at 1:30 p.m., so we have a limited amount of time there.

Hi Mom of 5. I just can't imagine going to Alaska and NOT going on a whale/wildlife tour. Why not take the whale watch in June (best place on your itinerary), then stop at Mendenhall Glacier and then do a flightseeing in Ketchikan. With the drive to Emerald Lake out of Skagway, that should give you a well rounded view of Alaska and some FABULOUS photos!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Mom of 5,

In Ketchikan this past August we when Kayaking with Southeast Sea Kayaks. In was wonderful, no experience necessary. We went on their Orca's Cove half day tour. www.kayakketchikan.com It was very relaxing & scenic.

I previously posted details about the outfit & the tour. For details go to page one and look at my post under the heading "Timing how can we fit it all in".

Stay well,

CorgiGuy

Everyone has different opinions/experiences on excursions. It depends on your passions and interests! Personally, we would absolutely choose the Taku Glacier Lodge flight trip over a whale watching trip. We've had far better whale sightings in Hawaii and Cabo than we did in Alaska. (Again just our experience.) And there's just something incredible about flying over the Alaskan landscape-nothing else like it. Our all time favorite excursion in Alaska was the snorkel trip in Ketchikan (infact we're doing it again this June). Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Great scenery, boat trip and kayaking are all a part of the Orca Cove Kayaking with Southeast Sea Kayaks in Ketchikan . We took the trip last year in August and it was wonderful. They take only 6 people on each trip and get right away from town. The guides were very friendly and knowledgeable. Paddling the double kayaks is quite easy (we had never done it before.) You may not see whales on every trip but we certainly saw wonderful wildlife including eagles, seals, jumping salmon and lots of beautiful sea stars and sea anemones. You can see all the details on their website at www.kayakketchikan.com.

Archived