Autographed pillow cases... trying again!

c*est moi

Me too - I always like having something to look forward to! We booked our Alaska cruise more than a year in advance, and at first it went slowly, but time has been flying lately! It will be interesting to see how Princess compares to Disney, but I know that part of the magic will just be having the whole family (mine and DH's) all together!

Didn't want to highjack the thread, though... any other ideas about what to get autographed? And is it ok to give other types of pens? Sharpies obviously are not ok for scrapbooking...

I think the main reason people use sharpies is because they are waterproof. Usually they send things to be signed that will be washed and sharpies dont fade, streak or wash out like other pens do.

I'm sure if you have a good pen to be used on special frame or background they would use it. I Would include a note explaining to PLEASE use the enclosed pen because of the materila they are to sign, this pen works best.

I say that because I have read many times where peoples pens wernt even used. Guess they have some laying around and sometimes use theirs instead of what is sent. My pens are always been used. I can tell by the way I had them packaged.

I have heard of people submitting pillowcases, picture frames. t- shirts and place matts. I'm sure there are more items, but that is what I can think of right now. I had thought about sending a childs apron and asking for Minnie's autograph across the pocket and a chef's hat with Mickeys autograph. My grandkids love to cook with me and wear an apron. I think they would like one signed by the characters.

I guess about anything that is small and easy to sign would work. They dont have a lot of time to stop and lay things out. Basically open, grab out and sign.

mom x4,grandma x4

I submitted two 8 x 10 white photo mats with an oval cut out for a 5 X 7 photo. I gave them sharpies in red, blue, yellow and green and asked that the characters sign. I was told by guest services that only certain characters would sign it. I can't recall right now who, but I know that it included Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto and Goofy. I don't recall if Chip and Dale signed too. Wasn't offered any princesses. What we got back was really nice! They used the different colors and positioned the signatures nicely around each mat. Each mat was also done differently, with the positioning and colors changed around.

I submitted two 8 x 10 white photo mats with an oval cut out for a 5 X 7 photo. I gave them sharpies in red, blue, yellow and green and asked that the characters sign. I was told by guest services that only certain characters would sign it. I can't recall right now who, but I know that it included Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto and Goofy. I don't recall if Chip and Dale signed too. Wasn't offered any princesses. What we got back was really nice! They used the different colors and positioned the signatures nicely around each mat. Each mat was also done differently, with the positioning and colors changed around.

Wow, that sounds perfect! Any chance you would be willing to post a picture of that? :D

I also put a little surprise for "Micky" when he was signing my pillowcases - it was just an envelope with $10.00 in it (They did 2 pillowcases for me)...

I just put everything in a plastic bag, with fabric markers, I left a note saying they could keep the fabric markers along with the envelope.

I got my two pillowcases back, and they are fantastic.

Ali's Mom

Wow, that sounds perfect! Any chance you would be willing to post a picture of that? :D

No problem, it may a little bit as I'm still "unpacking" (read that to mean the large pile of stuff to organize that is still sitting on my dining room table since our return on April 1!).

No problem, it may a little bit as I'm still "unpacking" (read that to mean the large pile of stuff to organize that is still sitting on my dining room table since our return on April 1!).

LOL! Take your time - it's definitely worth waiting for! Thanks so much for agreeing to do it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Think this is a fab idea! We are sailing, two families ,4 kids, aged 2,3,4,5 -May 26th Europe. The kids will love it. Couple of questions, not 100% following the thread. Is white the best colour to use for the pillow case? What about the pen? Oh such important stuff!!

Also, excuse my ignorance but what is a 'sharpie'? I am Australian so maybe this is a term we don't use!

Thanks!

Hi,

Think this is a fab idea! We are sailing, two families ,4 kids, aged 2,3,4,5 -May 26th Europe. The kids will love it. Couple of questions, not 100% following the thread. Is white the best colour to use for the pillow case? What about the pen? Oh such important stuff!!

Also, excuse my ignorance but what is a 'sharpie'? I am Australian so maybe this is a term we don't use!

Thanks!

I didn't know about the autographs on my last cruise, so I can't answer the question about the colors... But a "sharpie" is just a brand of permanent/waterproof marker. :)

I prefer white or light beige colors because those pens show up better.

I use lot a of different colors. darker colors show up the best, so I use dark shades of my favorite colors.

No light yellow or pink colors.

Black, blue, dark green, red, purple,dark brown,dark pink all work well.

Thanks to Kathy too, we had a photo mat that I submitted for character signatures which came out great.....I gave them some fabric markers that I had around the house and they returned them to me. It's really a nice thing they do.

• 2 months later...

Here's a few pictures of what I put together after our cruise in January '07. My DD enjoyed carrying around the photo mat and interacting with the characters as they signed it for her. I kept the mat in a ziploc bag with colored sharpies, and she "matched" the sharpie color to each character.

I was going to put a picture inside the mat, frame it, and hang it up, but I saw these photoboxes on sale at Michael's and the idea just came to me to include a bunch of other items:

eaf08849.jpg

eaf0884a.jpg

eaf0884b.jpg

Here's a freebie souvenir tip for you! On the final evening, after the farewell from the characters in the lobby, my DD and niece went around scooping up all of the Mickey confetti from the floor. You can see the Mickey heads glued around the photo mat. :)

Here's a freebie souvenir tip for you! On the final evening, after the farewell from the characters in the lobby, my DD and niece went around scooping up all of the Mickey confetti from the floor. You can see the Mickey heads glued around the photo mat. :)

Such a cute idea! Your frame is adorable. Where did you get it? I am trying to decide...pillowcase, frame, old WDW t shirt? Any suggestions?

Archived