Any Update on Code Red on Westerdam?

steviek49

Don't stress about it. Really. Unless the situation is VERY bad and if it is, you'll hear about it, it won't effect your enjoyment in any significant way. Be sure to wash your hands. If you've touched the handrail or elevator buttons etc, wash your hands before touching your face/mouth/eyes. Use good hygiene and good common sense about protecting yourself from any lingering 'bugs' that may be hanging out.

HAL handles this most common bug in such a professionally excellent way that your risk is very small.

Remember......noro virus is the second most common illness. It is second only to the common cold. You have probably been exposed to it dozens of times in the past and never even knew it.

Every hotel, hospital, nursing home, school, dormitory........all have cases of it at one time or another.

You will see plenty of hand sanitizers all over the ship. Notice them and use them.

We once spoke with our closest friend (a well respected M.D.) about whether we should continue our plans to sail on a ship that had a recent outbreak of noro virus. He is head of infectious disease for our region. His answer was we should absolutely continue our plans to sail, be careful, wash often and worry more about catching the flu than noro. People die from flu.

Don't worry so much about this. Look forward excitedly to your cruise and have a wonderful time. Enjoy your short countdown.

:) Just got off the Westerdam today. The outbreak of Norovirus started Tuesday night with approximately 75 people in the infirmary. The ship's crew immediately started preventative measures. I was very impressed with the extensive effort to contain the problem. Probably another 30-40 people were affected as the week progressed. Captain Harris was very forthright while keeping the passengers up to date. He was not very pleased with the number of passengers not following quarentine guidelines. Hopefully the ship will be healthy this week.

Hi everyone,

One week away from our Eastern Carib Westerdam cruise. Does anyone know anything more concerning Code Red on Westerdam when passengers were getting off or boarding her today?

Thanks for any information.

Thank you.

We had no plans to cancel. This will be our 6th family cruise and we are looking forward to it!

I agree that it is a good opportunity to practice good and healthy preventative measures.

I work in a high school and these past few weeks it seems like everyone is sick so why should a cruise ship or hotel be any different?

I am still curious , though, to hear from people on the Westerdam to see how it's going.

Any "new" information" will be appreciated.

Thank you.

We had no plans to cancel. This will be our 6th family cruise and we are looking forward to it!

I agree that it is a good opportunity to practice good and healthy preventative measures.

I work in a high school and these past few weeks it seems like everyone is sick so why should a cruise ship or hotel be any different? My wife and I just went shopping to buy those "clorox" brand disinfesting wipes (says kills flu virus) to carry with us. In addition we will do our best to make sure we are healthy before we go.

I am still curious , though, to hear from people on the Westerdam to see how it's going.

Thank you.

I work in a high school and these past few weeks it seems like everyone is sick so why should a cruise ship or hotel be any different? My wife and I just went shopping to buy those "clorox" brand disinfesting wipes (says kills flu virus) to carry with us. In addition we will do our best to make sure we are healthy before we go.

I was one of the 'infected' on the W. Not a lot of fun, but I do think they handled it really really well. I was in isolation for a couple of days, which sucks, but is necessary. (plus, REALLY did not feel like moving anyway). I was disgusted to find out that there were a number of passengers who 'snuck out' of their cabins while under isolation. I honestly think there should be major repurcussions for these people. How incredibly irresponsible and inconsiderate!! YOU may feel fine, but you're still contagious!! How DARE you sneak out and infect others!! I am constantly amazed at the level of stupidity of so many people.

Sorry, get pretty pissed about that sort of thing. As for the W. I would think everything would be good to go for their next sailing. They were sterilizing cabins while we were still sailing (and in isolation) and we saw crew wearing VIROX rigs for disinfecting etc. while we were disembarking.

Just a word of warning...I Purelled as much as anyone, if not more (I'm somewhat paranoid about that sort of thing), and I still got sick, so just when you think you can't possibly Purell and wash anymore....do it again!!

crew was not trained in remediation and did know what to do - at the lowesat crew levels - where language barrier is an issue

even after controls - workers sneezing into gloved hands - not changing gloves

HAL was sloppy in allowing people to touch and reach over food - when another ship in the fleet had issues just last week.

not rocket science - winters - high flu season, etc - people from the north via predominantly planes

if ships are the last step in the process and there's the alleged burden that they try to convince people about - then should they take preventative steps UP FRONT - remember washing with anti-bacterials does nothing to prevent a virus.

if it's "bacterial" then it's likely in food handling in kitchen's or at the serving tables - which were open

partners of sick people were isolated in the rooms with their sick partners and given no means of protection

if so contagious why weren't partners also struck

if food borne - and food not common - that would account for one person getting and partner not getting

it's a red herring about norovirus being second most common

if it's that high - then they should always act accordingly

needed to replace soiled towels and linens - and they were more concerned about the count.

when we went to the cabin - and detailed and cleaned - we found things from previous occupants in drawers - and food on the floor even after three days.

Hello - I can see worrying about the virus at 16 weeks pregnant, but I can assure you as much as possible - that the crew of the Westdam is outstanding - I was more than impressed with the immediate and completely comptetent "code red" procedures and their implementation - I am the safety officer for a corporation - the way the outbreak was handled by the crew was outstanding - not only the precautions, but the attiude - the extra work in implementing such procedures is exhausting and time consuming for all crew - not one complained - not one had anything but a smile and assurance - I was as much impressed with the attitude of the crew as anything I have ever seen on my 11 cruises

Those passengers who decided to ignore the rules and venture out of thier cabins against the quarntine should simply be mortified at thier behivior and the risk they caused other passengers - I understand it would suck to be sick on a dream vacation, but endangering others is simply - unacceptable..

Archived