Need an expert on the new passport rules please!

jdaa

Will my son need a passport for a March 31 Crown Princess southern caribbean cruise that leaves out of San Juan? I tried to look up the rules myself, and I don't think he will, but I just wanted to verify before we book. Thanks!

He has plenty of time to get one ,why take a chance,he will need one someday and they are good for ten years.

I agree that he will need one some day, but if he is under 16, it is only good for 5 years.

In the event something happens at a port and you have to fly home, it is well worth the money to get a passport now rather than wait.

Thanks to lobbying from the cruise lines, they were able to change the passport requirement dates for cruises but it was really a stupid thing to do. It should have been consistent between flying and cruising with the required dates the same both ways.

For more information than you will ever need about passports and the rules that govern them go to Get A Passport. This site has been set up by TIA (Travel Industry Association) and is both informative and ad free. You can find out everything you need to know whether you live in the US, Canada or Mexico.

It tells you how and where to get a Passport and how to get one fast. It has complete and easy to understand rules for air travel, cruise travel and land border crossing.

• 2 months later...

I found out today that my passport will be delayed. I have heard that Princess requires a passport to board cruises that go to Alaska and Canada--- which is where I am going next month. So--- can a U.S. citizen still board on Princess ships with birth certificate and photo id? FYI- when I go to do online check-in it asks for a passport number which I don't have!

Seems like you have quite a different system over the pond re passports? Do you have to obtain a new one when turning 18? We can have a ten year passport whatever our age (I think!!).

We also are always asked by our TA's our passport number and expiry date as cruise companies always like at least 6 months left to run on a passport - is this not the same I wonder?

We also have the advantage of being able to go to the post office for someone to actually help fill the forms out if necessary. Sounds like you have quite a different process? Would be interested to hear.:)

I found out today that my passport will be delayed. I have heard that Princess requires a passport to board cruises that go to Alaska and Canada--- which is where I am going next month. So--- can a U.S. citizen still board on Princess ships with birth certificate and photo id? FYI- when I go to do online check-in it asks for a passport number which I don't have!

If you are flying to or from Vancouver you need a passport. Required by the US government if flying to Canada.

If you are entering Canada at all through your trip you MUST have a passport, these rules were set up by the US Government that requires US as well as Canadians or any other country for that matter to carry passports. The Canadian Government has tried to delay those rules but Bush would not relent. Therefore everyone should just give up and get a passport, it sure saves alot of problems, I have seen US Immigration officials not allow US folks to return home because they did not have a passport because Canadian Officials have allowed them in. I work at an airport and life is just not the same you must get that passport.

Thanks. I guess I'll have to cancel my trip. I cannot be sure I'll have my passport in time. It was supposed to be here this week but instead I received a letter that said they needed 5 more documents and all this other info. I doubt I will get it in time to sail. Darn!

Thanks. I guess I'll have to cancel my trip. I cannot be sure I'll have my passport in time. It was supposed to be here this week but instead I received a letter that said they needed 5 more documents and all this other info. I doubt I will get it in time to sail. Darn!

You can pay express & it shouldn't be a problem. 5 more documents? You shouldn't need 5 documents in the first place, what are they looking for ?

Not flying to Canada. Flying to Seattle and SAILING to Alaska plus a day in BC.

Currently, for Canada, you only need a US passport if you are flying in or out of Canada, if you are arriving by cruise ship and leaving by cruiseship you do not need one. However, as others have noted, should you get "stuck" in Canada and have need to fly back to the states, you would have to have a passport. Addtionally I know of no requirement that Princess has requiring you to have a passport if you have your birth cert and a photo id and are boarding the ship in Seattle.

Perhaps you should read the referenced website concerning passports and then maybe give Princess a call at 1-800-PRINCESS and ask someone there. Dont' cancel yet if you can avoid it, you are within your penalty period and most likely would not get a full refund. Good luck.:)

You can pay express & it shouldn't be a problem. 5 more documents? You shouldn't need 5 documents in the first place, what are they looking for ?

It says to fill out these 2 pages of supplemental information and send photocopies of 5 of the listed documents to further verify my identity. I think it is racial profiling: I have a hispanic last name. I'm not happy.

And I am answering you about a cruise. If it starts and ends in Seattle you don't need a passport this year.

OK, thanks!

See what I mean, though? LOL! Everyone gives conflicting info including the travelocity and princess web sites. And everyone here has a difference perspective on this and is sure theirs is the correct answer. I do very much appreciate the answers but I guess I will wait until my phone comes back on this week and call Princess, get the definitive answer and cancel if I need to. Partial money back is better than none at all! I will lose 100% of my airfare and $25 of my hotel reservation and God knows how much of my $1600 cruise fare. Such is life!

OK, thanks!

See what I mean, though? LOL! Everyone gives conflicting info including the travelocity and princess web sites. And everyone here has a difference perspective on this and is sure theirs is the correct answer. I do very much appreciate the answers but I guess I will wait until my phone comes back on this week and call Princess, get the definitive answer and cancel if I need to. Partial maney back is better than none at all! I will lose 100% of my airfare and $25 of my hotel reservation and God knows how much of my $1600 cruise fare. Such is life!

I don't blame you for being confused. And the passport requirement for cruises was supposed to go into effect at the beginning of the year. Instead they extended the deadline for cruises and land crossings to Canada and only require a passport for flying to or from Canada. That has many confused. That would still effect many Alaska cruises as many sail from or to Vancouver, Canada. But since you are sailing from Seattle, you don't need a passport for a cruise this year.

Seems like you have quite a different system over the pond re passports? Do you have to obtain a new one when turning 18? We can have a ten year passport whatever our age (I think!!).

We also are always asked by our TA's our passport number and expiry date as cruise companies always like at least 6 months left to run on a passport - is this not the same I wonder?

We also have the advantage of being able to go to the post office for someone to actually help fill the forms out if necessary. Sounds like you have quite a different process? Would be interested to hear.:)

As was stated, persons under 16 get a passport good for 5 years, so if you get it at 16 its good til you are 21. Everyone else gets 10 years. I have never heard of a Cruise line enforcing the 6 mos past end of voyage rule, but freighter cruises and expedition ships do. And it is a requirement to get a Visa for some countries. And, yes, we can apply at the Post Office, but getting competent help there is another question. lol

All this talk about passports in the US is a result of new laws requiring them for travel to Mexico, Canada, and the Caribean. Previously, passports were not required for US citizens traveling back to the US from those areas.

As was stated, persons under 16 get a passport good for 5 years, so if you get it at 16 its good til you are 21. Everyone else gets 10 years. I have never heard of a Cruise line enforcing the 6 mos past end of voyage rule, but freighter cruises and expedition ships do. And it is a requirement to get a Visa for some countries. And, yes, we can apply at the Post Office, but getting competent help there is another question. lol

All this talk about passports in the US is a result of new laws requiring them for travel to Mexico, Canada, and the Caribean. Previously, passports were not required for US citizens traveling back to the US from those areas.

So the process isnt all that different, it is just new to a lot of people.

I don't blame you for being confused. And the passport requirement for cruises was supposed to go into effect at the beginning of the year. Instead they extended the deadline for cruises and land crossings to Canada and only require a passport for flying to or from Canada. That has many confused. That would still effect many Alaska cruises as many sail from or to Vancouver, Canada. But since you are sailing from Seattle, you don't need a passport for a cruise this year.

Charles- Thank you! You have been a great help in soothing my nerves today! So, I wonder why Princess then requires a passport number for online check-in? Maybe they did that in anticipation of the law change and never omitted it when the extension happened...? I guess I should fill out everything else and just leave that blank.

Archived