Skagway - Help Breaking Down the Excursion Options

scottam

We have a varied list of activities that sound interesting to us and need some additional information and input from those of you who have done these tours, to help us decide which one(s) to go on.

We are interested in great scenery and wildlife. Secondary is the mode of transportion involved. Having said that, Jeep sounds much more exciting that the train. Particularly when we'll be spending time on a train when we go from Whittier to Denali on the Princess land tour at the end of the cruise.

Yukon Jeep Tour - Not only does this sound like a fun tour, but it sounds like we would see the same scenery as on the train tour. Can we expect to see any wildlife or is this strictly a scenery tour? Has anyone done this one and what did you think? Is Alaska Travel Adventures the only company who operates this tour?

Wildlife/Whale Cruise - We're already doing this sort of tour in Juneau. Will this be a repeat of Juneau or is there something new and different to see in Skagway? Any tour companies recommended for this one?

White Mtn Pass Train Trip - We have little interest in the train. It's the scenery that we're after. If we took the train one way and the bus the other way, are there any stops for photography along the way?

Mushers Camp and Dog Sled Activity - We cannot afford snow dog sledding, but excursion which dog sleds on grass, still sounds fun. Is it a good second choice? Both activities sound interesting to us. My question is which of the two showcase the best of what the area has to offer?

Thank you so much for the help you've all provided so far in helping us determine our excursions for Juneau and Ketchikan. And thanks in advance for any help you can give us for Skagway!

There are lots of threads covering this in great detail. Search for them.

One of the best options that we really liked was to rent a car in Skagway and drive over the pass, paralleling the train, but continue on into the Yukon past beautiful scenery to Caribou Crossing, and do the dog carts there (incidentally for much less than the ship's excursion.)

Check our report at

The Halls Sixth Cruise to Alaska

Have a GREAT cruise!

There are lots of threads covering this in great detail. Search for them.

One of the best options that we really liked was to rent a car in Skagway and drive over the pass, paralleling the train, but continue on into the Yukon past beautiful scenery to Caribou Crossing, and do the dog carts there (incidentally for much less than the ship's excursion.)

Check our report at

The Halls Sixth Cruise to Alaska

Have a GREAT cruise!

I agree with MercedMike and a big fan of driving tour of Skagway->Emerald Lake.

Jeep tours are the highest priced car rental there is our ship wants $135. per-person there are 4 of us. The car rental was $105. for all of us and yet we are going to do the train/bus, it's because the scenery is not the same as driving, there are views that you can't see from the road and as my DH suggests it gives a better chance to see wildlife not traveling the same route.

Stacym

We will be doing the train on our cruise this May -- because relaxing and viewing the scenary and NOT driving feels like a better vacation for my husband :)

plus, we've ridden historic trains in our area this past year, and really enjoyed it!

we plan to do the Hike & Float the Chilkoot Trail in the morning, browse around town in the afternoon, then catch the late train.

Cheers,

Mary

We will be doing the train on our cruise this May -- because relaxing and viewing the scenary and NOT driving feels like a better vacation for my husband :)

plus, we've ridden historic trains in our area this past year, and really enjoyed it!

we plan to do the Hike & Float the Chilkoot Trail in the morning, browse around town in the afternoon, then catch the late train.

Cheers,

Mary

Mary...can you tell me where you booked your Hike & Float? It looks very interesting.

Thanks....Chris

I have to agree on the train...we are very active and at first I was not too interested in the train, but we decided to do the White Pass Railway and Laughton Glacier Wilderness Hike, because it combines the incredible scenery and history of the WPYR with a decently extrenuous hike.

I have also frequently heard that the WPYR is a must-see, and I didn't want to pass it up. :)

Mary...can you tell me where you booked your Hike & Float? It looks very interesting.

Thanks....Chris

Hi Chris,

We booked it through Royal Caribbean, but it's also offered by an independent vendor, and we're thinking of switching (it would save a few bucks, plus looks like the same trip and might be more personal; not sure).

Here's the link to the independent vendor:

www.skagwayfloat.com

We liked that we get to see Dyea, plus an almost 2 mile hike along the beginning of the Chilkoot Trail (we love hiking), then a neat raft trip. A great variety of experiences, and looks to be an excellent morning. :)

Cheers,

Mary

Yukon Jeep Tour - Not only does this sound like a fun tour, but it sounds like we would see the same scenery as on the train tour. Can we expect to see any wildlife or is this strictly a scenery tour? Has anyone done this one and what did you think? Is Alaska Travel Adventures the only company who operates this tour?

scottam

On our first cruise to Alaska (supposedly once-in-a-lifetime), we booked the Yukon Jeep Tour through Princess. I actually bought it for my DH as a anniversary present. It was quite fantastic. It takes the same route as the train, but with a few stops along the way, including time in Carcross to walk around, explore, shop, etc. Then we took the Jeeps up into the mountains near town and went up as far as the snow line (in September). Incredible views!!! My husband loved the offroading aspect of it...and getting to drive after almost a week at sea. I got to see lots of native plants up close. We also had some time up in the mountains to walk around. Our guide was quite accomodating to the entire groups' wishes.

However, on our second cruise, I felt comfortable enough (and had discovered this board with SO much info) that I reserved a car through Avis for 5 of us to drive up through White Pass and visit Carcross, etc. We loved the freedom to stop everywhere along the way. My poor Mom and kids couldn't believe how many waterfalls required my photographing of them. :D It was an extremely economical way to get virtually the same experience as the Jeep Tour.

Any which way you choose to go, enjoy. Skagway is our favorite port in Alaska (which we will be returning to many times!) and the Yukon is a very beautiful area to visit as well.

Happy Cruising!

Sheri

Sheri,

Thanks for your feedback on the Jeep tour. I guess this is the mode of transportation that we were most intrigued by for seeing the White Pass and Yukon, but needed to hear some sort of feedback on it before booking. So thank you for sharing yours. It sounds great! Now I will figure out who best to book with. Thanks again!

Southwardbound- Great question! Are you talking about the road conditions for the jeep tour or the regular roads traveled by car? I have the same question about late May for the roads/trails that the jeeps travel on.

Thanks!

Archived