Back From July 10 Transatlantic On Rotterdam. Weather Was Fabulous!! Sorry Ruth C.

theduffys

Just a quick note because I am trying to do some laundry:eek: . Everything was absolutely fantastic on this cruise. The sea was as calm as a lake, the skys were sunny and warmish, the sunsets were magnificent, our fellow passengers were delightful, and we even won at bridge a few days!!! We saw icebergs and whales and a guy in a sailboat who was absolutely STARKERS. I'll try to do a longer review when I have more time but, if anyone has any questions just ask away.

Where did the cruise start and where did it end? Is the cost of a 10 day transatlantic cruise comparable to a 10 day Caribbean cruise?

What made you want to do this? It sounds like a nice, quiet 10 day period!

We are also either reviewing this cruise or possibly just responding to the Duffy's review. We did meet them, but not the several other CCers that were to be on this cruise.

This was our favorite cruise so far. I'm even thinking of doing another one next year as most of the ports will be different.

Can't wait to hear about it. We are leaving on the Rotterdam for 15 days next month in the Med to England. It is our first cruise and we are anxious to hear what you think about all aspects of this ship.

Zazzy

Allo Marianne,

I am sure your pleased to be back in lovely Wheeling, W.Va. :rolleyes:

When you have the time, please fill us in on your wonderful trip with the Rotterdam V1. She is a most beautiful ship.:)

Best Wishes,

Hi,

After 3 summers on the Rotterdam, I can tell you that she is a beautiful classy ship. The crew is her main star attraction; they are fabulous! You will be pampered, spoiled, and ruined for accepting anything less than what they offer.

The Rotterdam VI, sister flagship with the Amsterdam, has a refined, understated decor, with about a million dollars of art exhibited, and an atmosphere that is truly classic for ocean-going vessels.

She is 7 years old, and has the character benefitting from HAL's 130 years of experience in cruising.

Public rooms are very well designed so that they never feel empty or crowded regardless of the number of guests. There are many nooks and crannies, private areas to veg out with a book, or enjoy private conversation.

PA system announcements are kept to a minimum, and guests are never hassled to participate.

The atmosphere is sedate, never rowdy, but it is a fub ship! We played trivia every day of our 34 day trip, ateended the high tea, went to the ocean bar for drinks before dinner, attended many of the evening's entertainment oferrings, and no matter what time we went to bed, our deck was as quiet as a tomb.

The ship is spotless. The public restrooms are immaculate with flowers and real towels. The cabin stewards do an excellent job, and depending what time you go to breakfast, your cabin will be spotless when you return.

Room service is complimentary and you can have breakfast delivered to your room if you put your menu out by 2 am, even if it's just morning coffee on the veranda, this is a great service.

I'm not sure that i like the 4 dinner seatings, but this was our first experience with it, perhaps it takes getting used-to.

Rotterdam has midship elevators so you're never very far from anything. The ship is a perfect size even for those who are mobilty-challanged.

Study your deck plans and start thinking, fore and aft, port and starboard from your cabin, the Lido, and the dining room, It will help you get oriented.

Board early and explore the ship. Boarding begins at 1130 am, you can have a nice lunch in the lido, and explore while setting up your shipboard account at the front desk (foreward, deck 4).

I would also advise doing some independent searching of your ports online so you'll know what you want to see and do.

Hope this helps, and have a great voyage on my favorite HAL ship.

GN

I'm finally ready but I think I will start a new thread for my review. To answer some questions:

BCEAGLE78--This was a 17 night cruise fron NYC to Copenhagen and we chose it for the itinerary.

grannynurse--Copenhagen was warm and sunny but, we did not stay this time. Transfer to the airport was somooth as silk. I agree with all of your praises for this ship.

GN...I heartily agree with all you have said about the Rotterdam. She is also our favorite "new" ship as we have sailed 195 days on her since her inaugural.

I was disappointed to learn of the "idiosyncrasies", as you referred to them, on your 34-day cruise as our cruise last year was fantastic and so many of the same folks had booked for this year's June 6th cruise. I don't think the weather situation helped at all as it went on day after day...fog, rain, and more fog, etc.

Am keeping my fingers crossed for next year's Maasdam cruise from Boston and hope we have good weather and no 48-foot seas like last year.

Oh, please, Duffy's, don't be sorry! I'm thrilled that you had good weather.

Now I can remember that it does happen, and hope it will happen for me again.

I'm looking forward to your thorough review.

Welcome home.

Archived