Balcony much better than just a window?

When we travel with our kids we always choose the least expensive cabins and get two of them rather than stay in one room. We are perfectly happy with inside rooms. Balconies are nice for long ocean voyages (and we do have one for ourselves coming up and we are traveling without the kids this time) and if you plan to spend lots of time in your room. Personally, I would go with the least expensive option and save your money for other things.

I've only been on one cruise last January - on the Navigator and got the deluxe balcony - and loved it. This time, I'm getting the lower priced balcony - there really isn't much a difference but price.

For the oceanviews - the travel agent said they were on the lower decks,

and wanted to at least be on Deck 6. We are on Deck 7.

You will love the balcony, if you try it. If the extra cost is not a make or break issue, the experience of the balcony for you and your family will be amazing. We don't spend a lot of time in our cabin, but when we do, we are out on the balcony. I love coming back to the cabin after a shore excursion and grabbing a quick nap onthe balcony. It keeps the energy up for late nights, yet I'm still up to watch the sunrise. One of my favorite balcony memories (that I can share on a family forum ;~) )is watching the flying fish getting out of the way of the ship. The peaceful sound of the ocean slipping by the hull at night is also amazing.

As others have said, once you try a balcony, you will be hooked!

Eric

I'm one of the small minority that doesn't think that a balcony is that big a deal. That said, of course if the money is trivial, its a nice addition, and if your cabin is crowded (more than 2?) it will make things a bit roomier.

However, if, as with most people, the money IS important - here are some things I would rather buy: additional excursions, a second inside room for more space, more cruises per year, extra vacation days at the port before or after. For me, the question always comes down to what percent extra I'm willing to pay for a room upgrade, and in the case of RC, the cost is often too high in comparison to some other lines, especially Princess. I'm willing to pay about 15% extra to get OV, and 25% extra to get balcony, but that's about it. Actually, my DW and I really prefer to lounge on Promenade deck, and have done this occasionally even when we have had a balcony, because we like the sweeping ocean views and the people watching.

We have sailed inside, window and balcony. I doubt we'll do window again. If you have the money for a balcony, that is great. If you're being thrifty, an inside is fine, too. A window only reminds you that you don't have a balcony and that you paid more than an inside.

I love balconies, but when I went to Norway on NCL the travel agent talked us into getting a suite with a floor to ceiling window and no balcony. For that cruise, (temperature in the 50s and 60s) I was glad I had a window with such a great view and no overhang from the balcony. For everything else, give me the balcony. I don't like hanging out around the pool and the balcony and a book are all I need.

Viv

We have had people tell us that we should have an inside cabin because you are never in your cabin much anyway, but we went ahead for our first cruise and booked a JS for our cruise in April, and I am really excited just to know that the balcony is an extension of your room, and now can't even imagine having a room without one.

What happens if you are a non-smoker and have smokers on each side of your balcony? Has anyone had this happen and is it a problem?

There was an entire thread on this recently...

I'm asthmatic, so smoke REALLY bothers me...

But, I still enjoy a balcony...

Sometimes smokers on adjacent balconies are a bother, sometimes there not...it depends largely on wind direction and on how often they're out there smoking...

If the winds are strong and blowing the smoke away from you, there's little problem...if they're blowing toward you, it can be like standing next to all the smokers outside your office building on break...

But, I've found, despite all the people claiming they get so much use out of their balconies, most people really aren't out there often...they're in port, in the dining room, at shows, in bars, at the pool, etc. At any given time, there's a good chance NONE of your neighbors are on their balconies when you are...

I am so thankful I booked the balcony on our Grandeur of the Seas trip that we leave on this Saturday the 17th from New Orleans, I have been on 2 other cruises but neither was a balcony. This thread makes me feel I will never go back after this trip.

I am so glad I found this site, there are some serious cruise experts browsing and posting on this site.

I am so thankful I booked the balcony on our Grandeur of the Seas trip that we leave on this Saturday the 17th from New Orleans, I have been on 2 other cruises but neither was a balcony. This thread makes me feel I will never go back after this trip.

I am so glad I found this site, there are some serious cruise experts browsing and posting on this site.

Congrats Garth, and enjoy your first balcony !!! :)

While most people wouldn't carry it quite this far' date=' I can honestly say that if I couldn't afford a balcony, I would just stay home until I could.[/font']

To quote the A1 steak sauce commercial: "Yeah. It's that important." :D

Couldn't have said it better! :D :D

We have had people tell us that we should have an inside cabin because you are never in your cabin much anyway, but we went ahead for our first cruise and booked a JS for our cruise in April, and I am really excited just to know that the balcony is an extension of your room, and now can't even imagine having a room without one.

I read so often where many people do not stay in their cabin much except to change and sleep, ect. I am the opposite.. I use the cabin probably a lot more than most.. naps after an excursion and my quiet time on the balcony is essential. I spend a lot of time enjoying the cabin and balcony. I do not like the crowded pool decks. I swim or use the jacuzzis around mid. that is my favorite time to be on the pool deck.

Archived