Final payment due?

Ontario Cruiser

Can you tell me when your TA or Celebrity has requested the final payment for a cruise to Hawaii. My TA original said Aug 17 then when my invoice arrived it state July 31 for Nov 9th cruise on the Summit. My understanding is that it is 70 days before sailing.

Don't want to pay too early incase of price changing.

Also my understanding is that Celebrity will refund you up to sailing date if the price drops either by shipboard credit or refund? Or you can get an upgrade if you pay the difference of your existing cabin and the new cabin price at that time. Am I correct?

Thanks

Sherrill:confused:

You say that they want final payment on July 31st for a Nov 9th cruise, right?? That looks like about 100 days befopre the cruise and in my opinion, that's really excessive and they have some nerve. :mad: Right now I have a cruise booked for April 21st on a Princess ship, and I made my final payment on February 7th, which is about 70 days prior to the cruise. I guess they want to get their hands on your money, so they cut down on your time before the cruise in case you cancel. :rolleyes:

Sherrill,

Can you tell me when your TA or Celebrity has requested the final payment for a cruise to Hawaii. My TA original said Aug 17 then when my invoice arrived it state July 31 for Nov 9th cruise on the Summit. My understanding is that it is 70 days before sailing.

Don't want to pay too early incase of price changing.

Also my understanding is that Celebrity will refund you up to sailing date if the price drops either by shipboard credit or refund? Or you can get an upgrade if you pay the difference of your existing cabin and the new cabin price at that time. Am I correct?

Thanks

Celebrity's policy is that final payments are due seventy (70) days before embarkation except on holiday cruises, for which, IIRC, the deadline is ninty (90) days before embarkation. The line does extend a couple days of "grace" to allow for slow mail or whatever, but other lines don't -- meaning that they cancel bookings at midnight of the deadline date if they don't have the final payment by then -- so some travel agents have a policy of giving their clients a "due date" that's a week to ten days before the actual deadline to provide a cushion for the agency and the cruise line to do their processing.

Now, it looks to me like you booked a cruise that extends over Thanksgiving Day (United States), which falls on the fourth Thursday of November -- that is, Thursday, 22 November 2007, the earliest possible date -- so it's a holiday cruise. This puts the actual deadline for final payment ninty (90) days before your embarkation date of Friday, 09 November, which works out to be Saturday, 11 August. Your travel agent probably intended to back it up ten days to provide the cushion that I described above, but miscounted and got eleven days instead. It's not exactly a major goof.

Norm.

:) Good evening,Sherril,

As a TA myself, I can echo what Norm just said above....The due date on the CELEBRITY' confirmation is the date THEY have to have the $$ ''applied'' to the booking. Any practical travel agent will build a 10 days pad ahead of that, mostly to remind guests that it's ''pain time'' coming up...gives time to clear the credit card, absorb the pain, give the green light to the TA, etc...etc....There are also instances when guests are not in town when final payment is due....and the poor TA is stuck to make a decision on guest's behalf, produce the card ## on file ( since many months, in certain cases ) and cross his /her fingers that card is 1/ still valid & 2/ has enough room........All that , of course, unless he/she played it safe and re-connected with guest approx 10 days ahead of time.

I've used 15 days all the time myself.

Your TA is actually working FOR you in this instance.

Happy sailings.

Cheers

Claude

;)

You say that they want final payment on July 31st for a Nov 9th cruise, right?? That looks like about 100 days befopre the cruise and in my opinion, that's really excessive and they have some nerve. :mad: Right now I have a cruise booked for April 21st on a Princess ship, and I made my final payment on February 7th, which is about 70 days prior to the cruise. I guess they want to get their hands on your money, so they cut down on your time before the cruise in case you cancel. :rolleyes:

Even if you paid final payment you still can change/cancel untill official final payment date.

We paid our last cruise in full 5 days before official date and then price change happened, we called Celebrity for an adjustment, and they said , no problem, because final payment date didn't arrive yet.

Archived