SA/Antarctic - Rotterdam - Dec 2007 vs Jan 2008

TheNit

For all of you that have sailed around Cape Horn and on to Antarctica, could you please explain the differences between the Dec 18,2007 "Explorer Holiday" cruise vs the Jan 7 and 27,2008 "Experience" cruises. They are all 20 days. On the HA website, they are identical until the 8th day when the "Explorer" goes to Elephant Island, Esperanza Station and Petermann Island with arrive and depart times for each whereas the "Experience" cruises the Antarctic Sound, South Shetland Islands and the Wilhelm Archipelago (no arrival and departure times). Holand America admits that there are no shore excursions so I'm not sure why they are described differently. On days 16 and 17, the "Explorer" shows "at sea" while the "Experience" shows the Amalia Glacier and the Darwin Channel Chilean Fjords. I've called Holland America and they can't seem to explain the differences but they say the ship takes the same route so you would see the fjords on both. If that is the case, why doesn't it say that? I've just received a promotion for the December cruise (I'm in Canada) that expires on February 28th and I'm not sure which is the better cruise. I'm hoping that some of you experienced cruisers that have done this trip could explain the differences and which would be better. One thing that gives me an indication that the January cruises are "better" is that they are the same price as the "holiday" cruise and everybody knows that holiday cruises are jacked up a bit.

Any help would be appreciated. I have another posting that inquires about "small" or "large" so this is an indication of which way I'm leaning.

Greetings, DH and I just did the Dec.22,06/Jan.11/07 cruise aboard the Rotterdam and it was wonderful! I think HAL brochures differ because they really don't know where the ship will actually go in Antarctica! You are at the mercy of Mother Nature. We started on plan A and went to plan H before we were done! Lamaire Channel was choked with ice so we could not venture into there and several other places also had too much ice so we had to turn around and go a different way. But the captain and ice pilot always finds exciting ways to cruise and great scenery. We spent New Years Day in iceberg alley and it was perfect. Blue skies and 1000's of bergs. Just go with an open mind and you will enjoy a trip of a lifetime. We did the "Holiday" cruise and were gone over Christmas and New years and the ship was all decked out! I can't say enough good things about our cruise and the treatment we received. We stayed on Dolphin deck, midship with an outside cabin and loved it. We had rough seas crossing the Drake Passage and we were glad we were "down below". Have a great time and ask any questions you might have. Happy cruising....Marian

Hi - We're booked on the 27 Jan 08 Rotterdam SA & Antarctic cruise. Part of our decision was looking at the sail dates compared to the reverse of Alaska cruises we've done. January is the Southern Hemisphere equivalent of July. July tends to be better weather in Alaska than June (December).

As to itinerary, there are no guarantees (just like the weather :rolleyes: ). Our itinerary has the disclaimer: "The exact itinerary in Antarctica will depend on permissions, weather, ice conditions and time available."

You can check out our ‘Roll Call’ to check us out if interested in joining us.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful tme - no matter which date you pick.

• 3 weeks later...

We did the Antarctica last January and we were so lucky. We had shocking weather going down Drakes Passage, we had to cancel calling in at the Falklands unfortunately, but once down into the Peninsula the weather improved miraculously. When we got to Elephant Island it was foggy and we thought we were in for dreary weather but later that day the weather improved and out came brilliant sunshine which lasted for the entire time we were down in that region - 4 days. We hardly had any wind and though it was cold out on deck, it wasn't freezing and we did not need to put on the overpants that we had brought with us.

We just wore our very warm jackets, scarves, gloves and hats. It was the most wonderful experience and whether you do the Christmas cruise or the one after, you will love it. My sister and BIL did the Christmas cruise with HAL in December 2004 and also had brilliant weather.

Jennie

Archived