Bringing on alcohol.

First of all, I'm not trying to be a smart aleck or anything else, just trying to reason with why they can do what they did.

FWIW, if you read your contract, they have the right to search anywhere, anytime, and for anything on their property and that includes your personal belongings stored on their property. That cabin is yours to use in exchange for your money for a contracted period of time, but they reserve the right to inspect their property at any time. Since alcohol is specifically banned from being brought on board and/or taken to the cabin (banned in writing in multiple locations, and you signed that you understood this), then you can get as mad you want, but there is absolutely nothing you can do about them confiscating it from you while on board. For that matter, if you really wanted to make a stink about it, you can be removed from the ship at the next port for having it onboard. I haven't heard of anyone being kicked off just for having booze (except for underage), but the threat is there. Big flick, it's their ship, their rules, and they don't have to follow the laws of the USA (concerning search and siezure) while you're onboard their ship.

I hope that makes sense, it probably isn't what most people want to hear, but it's my understanding of the cruise contract and having been embarked on numerous vessels over the course of my life.

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck here either. Please quote the contract where it specifically says that all crew members can enter and search your cabin at any time for any reason they choose and without you present (or with your present and engaged in whatever activity, even if you've put out your "do not disturb" sign).

beachchick

I just booked my 5th RCI cruise for March 4 ( happy hour special ) after doing a Serenade cruise last week and printed and read the cruise/cruise tour ticket contract before each cruise. No where in it is alcohol mentioned in this contract.

The only thing close is possibly controlled substances in section 2a where it states

2. (a) Each adult Passenger is permitted to carry up to two hundred pounds (200 lbs.) of luggage aboard the Vessel. In no event shall any Passenger bring on board the Vessel, or in connection with the RCT Land Tour, any controlled substances, live animals, weapons, firearms, explosives or other similar property without written permission from Carrier. Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate.

The only area alcohol is covered is in the onboard policies. So it isn't part of your cruise contract as far as I am concern, only a Guest Vacation Policy. I would take RCI to court and sue them if they ever denied me boarding or disembarked me because of this.

We have never had a problem with cabin stewards - they are most gracious and accomidating with our few requests. This was a stupid error of policy by an oppportunistic (in his mind) employee.

Our sipboard accountl for the three cruises was about 2K, so it's not like we are cheapskates,

I still think RCL & X are top of the linr, but this experience has altered our expectations

I agree that in our 19 cruises all of our cabin stewards have been good and of course some great. My wife likes to have a glass of wine in our cabin before supper or on the balcony while watching the sunset and most cabin stewards upon seeing our wine bottles provided us with wine glasses and a larger ice bucket. We are expecting our cabin steward for our Adventure cruise in three weeks to provide us with the same level of service.

The RCI alcohol policy seems inconsistant. On our Serenade cruise last week, the duty free shop in San Juan was located after the security cheak although there was a table at the gang plank to turn in liquor. In St, Martin I was asked to check in two bottles of coocnut rum I had bought to take home but my wife and friends who boarded at a different time than me brought on 5 bottles with no questions asked. In St. Thomas I was allowed on board with two bottles. If you're wondering why the need for all the liquor bottles, we left some with friends on vacation from the UK who we met up with while on our Antigua stop.

as a diamond memeber you would think that i should know this but guess what...i don't...what cabins have a mini bar...i can't believe that all cabins with refrig's have a mini bar...and if it's the mini bar being cleared out that may or may not trigger this insane searching of someones private space then no one should ever request to have it cleared and just bring a soft sided cooler...those refrig's suck the wing wang any way...hardly keeps anything cool let alone cold...this is just so mind boggling to me...if i would ever come back to my cabin and find out that someone had been going thru our draws or closets it will be the last time the rccl will see one penny from this diamond memeber...for someone who averages between 800 and 900 a week on a sea pass charge i feel no shame what i have done on my last 10 rccl vacations...i'm coming down off of my soap box now...

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck here either. Please quote the contract where it specifically says that all crew members can enter and search your cabin at any time for any reason they choose and without you present (or with your present and engaged in whatever activity, even if you've put out your "do not disturb" sign).

beachchick

FWIW, you won't find anything, anywhere that it specifically says that all crew members can enter and search your cabin at any time for any reason, however, and I've dealt with "sea lawyers" many times before, if you will refer to this document: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/Refusal_To_Transport.pdf, paragraph C says: "Search of Guest or Property-When a guest refuses to permit search of his or her person or property for explosives, weapons,

dangerous materials, or other prohibited items" and G.2 says :"When the guest attempts to interfere with any member of the crew of the Vessel in the pursuit of his or her duties, or fails to obey the instruction of any member of the crew", they will refuse to transport you to begin with or disembark you. I would also refer you to this document which spells out the alcohol policy in minute detail: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/General_Policies_July_2006.pdf. Again, you can spin it any way you want to, but the big flick is, it's their ship, their property, you're a guest with very specific limitations to your rights that you signed away when you contracted with them.

The only area alcohol is covered is in the onboard policies. So it isn't part of your cruise contract as far as I am concern, only a Guest Vacation Policy. I would take RCI to court and sue them if they ever denied me boarding or disembarked me because of this.

You might see it this way, but since you agree in paragraph 11 of the contract that you can only sue in a Miami, FL court, it will be pretty expensive to try and find out. Somehow I doubt that even a half dozen bottles of $100 wine would be worth it, since it'd cost you more than that just for travel and lodging from Canada, much less retainers for lawyers.

I'm not an attorney, and I don't play one on TV, so I don't want to argue about these points since they will be interpreted in different ways by different people. I'm simply offering up one interpretation about why RCL can search their ship with impunity, if you don't like my story, make up one of your own. Either way, have a great cruise, I will be starting a new one in 28 days with the full understanding that they can search whatever they want, pretty much whenever they want.

I see what paragraph C says, but where it specifies "refuses to permit" generally is interpreted as "after having been requested to allow a search, the passenger refuses to permit...." This isn't even in the same realm as giving blanket permission to allow any crew member to search our cabins at any time for any reason or no reason at all. The "refuses to permit" would be where a security staff member might say, "Excuse me, Mrs. Beachchick, but I need to search your luggage because we are checking all passengers for XYZ." If I said, "No way, buster!" Then, there's your paragraph C. This is not the same as a crew member from some department coming into my cabin to randomly open cabinets, closests, and drawers and have a look around.

I'm not a lawyer either, but I do not believe that the refusal of passage paragraphs give blanket permission for crew members to go search cabins on their own initiative, without the direction of an officer or security, and without notification.

I completely agree with you about how, where, and under what circumstances a passenger can sue the cruise line. (OTOH, not being a lawyer, I don't know what legal ins and outs there might be.)

beachchick

i'm not an attrny but my brother is and i called to question him and this would be like going into someone house without a search warrant...BIG NO NO...he said that even if it outlines in the cruise contract about bringing no alcohal onboard they still can not go thru your personal property without you being present...quote]

Is your brother up to date on maritime law? Probably not.

I'm not an attorney either, but I stayed at Holiday Inn Express, and I think that ship's security/officers can search your cabin any time they want.

LL :cool:

If we were to pack a couple small bottles in our checked luggage, will the luggage be inspected by RCI so that there would be a problem? I'm assuming if it's in the checked luggage, there wouldn't be a problem with the airline, but I was wondering what would happen at the pier. Are we allowed to bring soda or bottled water?

If we were to pack a couple small bottles in our checked luggage, will the luggage be inspected by RCI so that there would be a problem? I'm assuming if it's in the checked luggage, there wouldn't be a problem with the airline, but I was wondering what would happen at the pier. Are we allowed to bring soda or bottled water?

I think this really depends on the port, seems that most ports don't check or don't care, however there were quite a few bags flagged for further inspection last October, and alcoholic beverages removed if they were discovered. So, it's the luck of the draw.

I see what paragraph C says, but where it specifies "refuses to permit" generally is interpreted as "after having been requested to allow a search, the passenger refuses to permit...." This isn't even in the same realm as giving blanket permission to allow any crew member to search our cabins at any time for any reason or no reason at all. The "refuses to permit" would be where a security staff member might say, "Excuse me, Mrs. Beachchick, but I need to search your luggage because we are checking all passengers for XYZ." If I said, "No way, buster!" Then, there's your paragraph C. This is not the same as a crew member from some department coming into my cabin to randomly open cabinets, closests, and drawers and have a look around.

beachchick

In all honesty, I think we're saying the same thing, just in a round about way, and if we were having this conversation across a table with some frothy adult beverages between us, it'd be over in about 3 seconds, vice writing posts where I can't really explain well what I mean. Suffice to say that I agree with you, for the most part:D, but I still believe that while it's outside the realm of normalcy for bar staff to come in and look through your cabinets for what "they need to replace", they still can do that, and if they find contraband liquor, while it isn't the smartest move, they can remove that as well. Happy sailing beachchick, I think we agree more than disagree, but a spirited discussion teaches us all more.

Hi - We always bring wine and a bottle of gin on board - have always left it in plain sight. Hopefully this hasn't changed. From what I understand the baggage is inspected by Port of Miami workers (if you're leaving from Miami of course) and not RCCI staff - the POM workers couldn't care less if there was booze in the bags - they're looking for guns, explosives etc.

Just keep it out of sight and you won't have a problem.

" but I still believe that while it's outside the realm of normalcy for bar staff to come in and look through your cabinets for what "they need to replace", they still can do that, and if they find contraband liquor, while it isn't the smartest move, they can remove that as well." -by Wraithe

In our situation, for two consecutive sailings (in different balcony cabins),there was nothing to check as they had removed everything (as requested) by day 2. On week 3, in a different section of the ship, we had no problem.

We have never had a problem with cabin stewards - they are most gracious and accomidating with our few requests. This was a stupid error of policy by an oppportunistic (in his mind) employee.

Our sipboard account for the three cruises was about 2K, so it's not like we are cheapskates,

I still think RCL & X are top of the linr, but this experience has altered our expectations

interesting *Freudian slip* :) :D ?!?!???!?!

We were on Mariner 11/26-12/3/06 in a JS. We emptied out the refrig in front of our cabin steward as my husband has meds that have to be refrigerated. I don't remember seeing any alcohol in that refrig.

A couple of days later, the bar crew came thru and we were in the cabin. They said they came to check the mini bar. I said, here is all the stuff (I had put it in a laundry bag). I also explained when and why it was removed. (I had called special needs prior to the cruise, to have them have nothing in the fridge and also to be sure there was a sharps container,--neither happened.) They never said a word.

We did have wine sent to us by our TA. It was a brand that is sold on the ship so even though it was on our counter, nothing was said about it. As far as Just Because of You, when you order from them, you pay a fee which goes to RCI to allow you to have the drinks in your room. They can't send liquor but it's ok for wine or beer. The bar staff or whomever wouldn't be concerned about that as the ship knows a fee was paid.

For those saying you will go to another cruiseline if you are given trouble by RCI, I'd just like to mention that other lines are as strict or worse. NCL as an example, x-rays all luggage and won't let any alcohol on the ship. I have heard, but I don't know, that you can't bring alcohol on Carnival any longer, and the same with Princess. I think all lines are doing the same thing because they realize more money is to be made by disallowing you to bring your own. They say it's because too many accidents have occured, but I think that's only partially true.

Lastly, I think trying to write to RCI to complain about having someone take your liquor wouldn't get you anywhere. I'm sure you would be told that your cruise docs tell you no alcohol is allowed to be brought onboard.

I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time, and it matters not to me if you smuggle or not. I'm not happy that I can't bring on my own wine any longer. I enjoy having a glass or two of wine on the balcony before or after dinner. It's like everything else, someone ruined it for everyone else. So sad. It seems the cruiselines were looking for an excuse and they found one.

Katie

Flagger, I never once complained that the alcohol was taken. My only complaint all along is that bar personnel has the right to go thru our personal property.

If you don't mind various employees going thru your cabin that's your privilege but I mind very much.

Mike, We just call the refridg. a mini bar because that's where the bar people put the minibottles. If they actually had my brand, I would be more than happy to use their bottles even if they are way over priced.

Until very recently we also left the bottle on the counter and the cabin stewards never commented. Since they have gotten strickter, the only reason we put them away at all times is that the cabin attendant can never be accused of knowing and not reporting it. Never thought they would ever turn us in because they are working twards tips.

Thanks MerionMom.

Sorry, I posted under Tom. Brigitte

Is there a refridge in the junior suites on the enchantment os? I plan on bringing on eight bottles (in checked bags) of wine which is the same as that sold on the ship (listed on the website). Should I hide them in my cloths drawers? Do you think this could all be avoided if you give your room steward like 60 bucks for a tip on the first day? what if you came clean with the rs and showed him all the bottles of wine, don't you think they would be nice enough to overlook it? Also, has anyone who has brought their own wine brought it poolside as well? where did you get the clean glasses? was it allowed to have bottles out there?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

I would just like to say that if you obsess about the liquor thing then it will become a problem. We have never had a problem bringing our own and have never once stressed over it. I always buy drinks from the ship as well, and do not feel the slightest bit guilty. I would hope that the cruise ship has more important things to worry about in peoples bags like weapons and such. So please don't stress, if you want to pack it...then pack it....if you have plenty of money to spend on alcohol...then by all means buy it....just always remember you are taking a risk when packing it and that they do have a right to take it from you bag. Everyone have a fun, safe and enjoyable cruise!

I truly am a member of following the rules except in our cabin, we do like to mix a drink before dinner without the approval of the cruiseline. We certainly have never obsessed about alcholol. We just simply have a problem with people searching our cabin while we are enjoying the lunch buffet. Fine, I'm guessing at some point you nice people will have your cabin searched also. Please let us know how you like bar personnel going thru your personal things, including the drawers in your cabin. I certainly should have known better than to post here because obviously I was going to get flamed which is what happens when you post on CC about anything that hasn't happened to another CC member.

I have to actually wonder why I bother to post. I've got beautiful cats that want my attentinion.

I brought two bottles of booze onboard my last cruise. One vodka(didnt get opened) and one rum (made two drinks out of it). Left them right out in the open in our cabin. I'm not sure if its worth the hassle personally. Between the security thing and having to apparently now hide your stash in your room..."Bartender!"

You might see it this way, but since you agree in paragraph 11 of the contract that you can only sue in a Miami, FL court, it will be pretty expensive to try and find out. Somehow I doubt that even a half dozen bottles of $100 wine would be worth it, since it'd cost you more than that just for travel and lodging from Canada, much less retainers for lawyers.

I'm not an attorney, and I don't play one on TV, so I don't want to argue about these points since they will be interpreted in different ways by different people. I'm simply offering up one interpretation about why RCL can search their ship with impunity, if you don't like my story, make up one of your own. Either way, have a great cruise, I will be starting a new one in 28 days with the full understanding that they can search whatever they want, pretty much whenever they want.

If you had read my comment I say I would sue them if they denied me boarding or disembarked me because of their alcohol policy as currently stated. Yes I would sue them no matter where I had to do it and make sure this and similar boards and the press knew about it. We are not talking about losing a couple of bottles here. This is an empty threat on the part of RCI as I can imagine the furor that would result in the press or on boards like this one if they ever did such a thing to someone for smuggling and having their own alcohol on board.

On my cruise two weeks ago RCI security asked me to check in two bottles when getting back on board in St. Martin but they also let three others in our group,, DW included who got on earlier than me, to bring on five bottles here and two at our previous stop in St. Thomas. Actually all bottles were brought back to Canada except for two we left with British friends we met up with for the day during our stop in Antigua.

Are you allowed to carry any tonic water, seilzer or soda??? I forget what I did on my 1st and only cruise a few years ago..but I think I took 2 bottles of tonic and my large bottle of gin...and of course...we still continued to buy at the bars and at dinner....I don't think it's a matter of them losing any money...just don't won't people to get to drunk..haha!! Boy, but I do enjoy my gin & tonic/martini over looking the back of the ship...will have a back corner aft again next month...and if I'm being monitored I guess they can come looking......!!!!

Archived