Newbie....questions re: traveling with 5?

Zoemakes5

This is my very first post, hello everybody! This board comes highly recommended, so I thought I'd start here.

My question is this. We are a family of 5. DH & myself, a son who is 10.5, another son who is 12.5, and a daughter who will be 5 in a couple of weeks.

How do we cruise? Do they do adjoining rooms? I can't imagine all of us in one room? Or do they do that?

Which ships, what tricks/tips do you have when looking for rooms that would fit?

Thanks!

There are ships that will allow 5 in the cabin. Someone posted about it yesterday (perhaps on the Carnival board). You could just call Carnival and ask. Other options are family suites or adjoining cabins. Sometimes adjoining cabins are cheaper than a suite. Carnival is a good, relatively inexpensive option for families. Camp Carnival is supposed to be great! Here's Carnival's number: 1-888-CARNIVAL. A quick call will help get you started. If you can't find that post from yesterday, let me know, I'll look for it.

We are 5 (two boys and a girl now 14,12 and 10) and find it difficult to cruise, but love it so we find a way.

We've done 5 in a royal family suite on RCCL (two bedroom two bath suite with a pull out couch in the living room). That was plenty of space but costly and probably not worth that extra cost. RCCL also has a Family Stateroom that's two bedrooms, one bath with no balcony which is a little more reasonable cost-wise. Never tried it but have heard it's nice.

Since I'm not a big fan of RCCL, on other lines I've done adjoining balcony rooms (which I'm doing on my NCLA April cruise), I've done a balcony and an inside directly across the hall (don't recommend this unless you must have a balcony and stay on a budget). I've never done adjoining insides, but don't see what would be bad about that. I could not imagine being 5 in a standard room, which I believe Carnival does do. Even with slightly larger staterooms, I just know we'd be 5 going but only 4 coming home as someone would get tossed overboard ... they get along, but not that well.

Overall, I prefer two adjoining balcony cabins to any of the other options, but that's a matter of opinion.

End result is you need some space, especially bathroom space. Imagine 5 of you sharing one bathroom to get ready for dinner ... 'nuff said.

My question is this. We are a family of 5. DH & myself, a son who is 10.5, another son who is 12.5, and a daughter who will be 5 in a couple of weeks.

How do we cruise?

Thanks!

Apparently these ships allow 5 in a cabin:

Celebration

Destiny

Ecstasy

Elation

Fascination

Holiday

Imagination

Inspiration

Paradise

Sensation

Triumph

Victory

Here's the recent post on the topic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=495703

This is my very first post, hello everybody! This board comes highly recommended, so I thought I'd start here.

How do we cruise? Do they do adjoining rooms? I can't imagine all of us in one room? Or do they do that?

Which ships, what tricks/tips do you have when looking for rooms that would fit?

Thanks!

You have several options.

1) Carnival, RCI and Disney all have cabins that can hold five (in some cases more) but not all of the ships have cabins that can hold five. NCL has suites that hold five.

2) Most ships have connecting rooms, just like connecting rooms in a hotel.

3) You could book two cabins next to each other or two cabins across the hall from each other.

The advantage of two cabins is two bathrooms and privacy. However, RCI and Disney both have cabins that hold five and have two bathrooms.

RCI has cabins that hold 5 on Mariner, Navigator and other ships in that class. They have two bunkbeds in an alcove (good for the boys?), a fold out sofa and the twins/queen bed. Two very large windows. Alas, only one bathroom. A reasonably priced choice, but there aren't many available, so book early. Called something like "Family oceanview staterooms," not to be confused with the Family suite.

We traveled this way as a family of four, but now they reserve them for parties of 5 or more.

Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...

Carnival valor allows five in a "family oceanview cabin" category 6E. However, after looking into it, I decided on two adjoining rooms (door opens in middle) for the five of us. It ended up being about 300 dollars more total. Well worth the nap space and extra bathroom.

NCL has cabins that hold 5, too. We're in a suite on NCL Dawn this June (went 2 years ago same category). It's an awesome suite!! 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living area, dining area, and balcony. A bit pricey, but definitely worth it! The butler alone is worth the added cost. She took such good care of us, I wish we could have brought her home!!!

Happy Sailing!! :D

Archived