What's up with "As you Wish Dining" & "Leisure" Dining?

CruiseQueen13

Hi - we recd our docs for our 3/31 Noordam cruise. We recd a ltr saying if you are early seating there is a window of 5:30-6:00 that you can arrive for dinner. There is something similar for late seating. However, TA says they are trying out "as you wish dining" where you can dine anytime between say 5:30-8:30.

Anyone know anything about this? Anyone tried it?

Anyone know anything about this? Anyone tried it?

The Noordam is presently trying out HAL's first-style experiment in dining---the "Leisure Dining" concept. That's the system you read in your letter---a 1/2 hour "window" for early sitting and 1 hour window for main sitting. You have the same table/companions/stewards regardless of when you arrive during your "window".

I read that the Noordam was going to start the second-style dining experiment later in the Spring (Alaska season, IIRC). That is the "As You Wish" experiment. That style was tried on the Oosterdam in January. Under that system one level of the dining room is "traditional", with fixed time/table/companions/stewards. The other level of the dining room is wide-open as to time---from 5:15-ish to 9:00-something. You arrive when, and with whom, you want and ask to be seated. Just like going to a restaurant on land.

Your cruise on the Noordam 3/31 should be under the "Leisure Dining" concept. I had that on the 1/6 cruise. Because I was with 11 other people we all arrived at our two tables at the same time, so it worked out fine for us.

Had we been a mixed group we would have had to agree on an arrival time, or possibly have been at different stages of our meals.

There are multiple threads on this subject, but to summarize, currently HAL is characterizing "Leisure" and "As You Wish" dining as experiments and are limited to certain ships during certain time periods. It remains to be seen if either will be implemented fleet wide.

We will be on Rotterdam 10th August-18th September. Does anyone know if "As you wish" dining will be used for this cruise? We actually liked "Anytime Dining" on Coral Princess. It allowed greater flexibility and it was very pleasant meeting new dinner companions.

Jennie

I spoke to HAL this week regarding this issue. They told me that when people receive their docs they will all have the Leisure Dining info. They also told me that they finished the as you wish on the O and are now trying it on the Noordam but also advised that they will have both on the Noordam, Traditional & As you wish. They are still testing. But they told me if it did happen it would be both Traditonal for those who like the fixed times and As you wish on the other level for those who enjoy the non traditonal this would take place on Alaska & the Carbibean cruises only. They also said they haven't decided yet. I personally think it's a good idea as it would please both.

Archived