Need the BEST sunblock!!

emma06

Whatever sunblock you buy, just make sure that you cover every bit of your skin if you are very sensitive. Make sure that you get up to the edge of your bathing suit, or better yet, put lotion on before you put a bathing suit on. I have used Clinique suntan lotion for a long time, as well as other of the high end lotions. Last year I decided to buy a tube of the No Ad lotion. I only bought an SPF of 15, and you can certainly go with a 30, but I was amazed at how well it worked. I think the real key is just to use enough of it, make sure you cover everything, and re-apply after a few hours. Also, I often get sunburned on my scalp. I bought something to spray on my hair that has an SPF. If you are super sensitive, and don't want to wear a hat, see if you can find it. I think it was made by one of the popular companies.

Just wondering which brand people would recommend for sunblock? I need one that will guard against the Caribbean sun.

Anything with Mexoryl SX or XL. We're not supposed to mention brand names here, but read

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2229315&page=1

Unfortunately, we won't be able to buy it in the U.S. until "this fall", so go into a shop at your first port-of-call and find one with an SPF of 50 or higher.

There is a new formulation avalaible from Lancome which protects against UVA AND UVB in an SPF 40 for sensitive skin and children. I believe that without a prescription it may be the only one available that protects against UVA and UVB (could be wrong on this--Neutragena may make it too). My husband has had melanoma and this was recomended by his dermatologist.

I have extremely sensitive skin. I burn badly before tannig and breakout even from stuff that claims to be oil free and non pore clogging, even hypoallergetic brands. I have always done very well with products by Clairins and they just came out with one on a stick for senstive areas like ears, lips and noses that you can wear around your neck on a cute golden rope. I am hopeing this encourages daugter and hubby to use it since they always whine about feelign "gooey."

These are expensive products found at the cosmetics counters in department stores like Macy's. The good news? Its bonus week at Lancome! I got a free cosmetic bag with travel size mascara, lipstick, eye shadow, eye makeup remover and other goodies free with purchase!

The best suntan lotion without question is Water Babies. We took our grandson to the beach on the Cayman Islands. He has red hair and blue eyes. Per our daughter's request, we put the Water Babies suntan lotion on every inch of exposed skin. My husband and I had on another brand of suntan lotion. Both my husband and I got sunburns but our grandson did not. Now, I pack Water Babies for us and it works great.

The best suntan lotion without question is Water Babies. We took our grandson to the beach on the Cayman Islands. He has red hair and blue eyes. Per our daughter's request, we put the Water Babies suntan lotion on every inch of exposed skin. My husband and I had on another brand of suntan lotion. Both my husband and I got sunburns but our grandson did not. Now, I pack Water Babies for us and it works great.

I agree with Pisces. I'm an extremely fair skinned Floridian and Water Babies by Coppertone is the best I've ever used. Not greasy yet stays on even swimming. Smells good, too. ;)

Just wondering which brand people would recommend for sunblock? I need one that will guard against the Caribbean sun.

I have the fairest of fair skin. I'm practically albino! Most of my kids have inherited it from me as well. Plus my mom has had two bouts of skin cancer, one of them melanoma. We're VERY careful about sun exposure.

The best thing I have ever purchased is a rash guard. I believe the brand is Roxy, but a lot of companies make them. Just google it if you're interested. My husband and boys have rash guards made by Quiksilver. We saw them everywhere in Hawaii. Some of them are really cute, too. I'd highly recommend one. The best thing about them is you don't have to reapply like you do sunscreen. (Although our choice for sunscreen is Banana Boat SPF 30 with hourly reapplications.)

Robin

Also, I often get sunburned on my scalp. I bought something to spray on my hair that has an SPF. If you are super sensitive, and don't want to wear a hat, see if you can find it. I think it was made by one of the popular companies.

Is it specifically for hair/scalp or is it just one of those spray on sunblocks? I'd be concerned about using a regular spray on in my hair. Ever since the cruise when they over-chlorinated the jacuzzi and my hair turned straw-like, I'm extra conscious of making sure what touches my hair should touch it....

Anything with Mexoryl SX or XL. We're not supposed to mention brand names here, but read

Unfortunately, we won't be able to buy it in the U.S. until "this fall", so go into a shop at your first port-of-call and find one with an SPF of 50 or higher.

I agree with jtl513. Try to find sun block of at least 45 to 60 that contains Mexoryl and also Parsol 1789. There are scientitic results that have proven these ingredients, which have yet to be used on any sunblock in the U.S. are the most effective. The FDA has now done its own study and agrees so the product which is mainly manufactured by one leading cosmetic company, will be available this fall. I have had many skin cancers removed so I have switched to this product which has been available in Canada for quite a few years. It works extremely well. You can google and find out what I am talking about.

You can buy it now online from Canada. Just do a Google search to find companies who sell it. You are correct - Mexoryl is the only thing that protects from both types of rays.

with very fair skin and my favorite is No-Ad. It's called No-Ad, since they don't advertise - so the price is low and it is wonderful!! My daughter who has very sensitive skin loves no ad. However, on her face she can only use Advino - no sure why - but nothing else works on her face.

Whatever you choose, don't forget the "tricky parts" - ears and tops of your feet. Remember to take care of your lips too - I just had VERY badly burned lips from a day out on our boat and sunburned lips are not fun! Happy cruising!

Jennie

In starting to assemble for packing today, the thing I use on my scalp in made by Banana Boat and is specifically for hair and scalp. Also, to whoever mentioned the Clarins, I have to go looking for that. I had a brain freeze yesterday, but Clarins is the other I always used. As far as the SPF 50 goes, if you read up on it, I think that most articles say that once you go beyond 30, there is no purpose. The important thing is either to use the waterproof, which you still do have to reapply, or just be careful to reapply regularly. If you try to sit out all day in full sun, it could be a problem no matter what you use. You have to be sensible.

1. Whatever sunscreen you try, make sure to try it at home first just to make sure you don't have an allergic reaction to it. My daughter, who's not particularly allergic to things, broke out in hives after applying one new sunscreen. I had no problems with it.

2. Consider adding a great hat to the mix -- you still need sunscreen, but the hat helps mightily.

3. We snorkeled for days on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, and wore shirts and lightweight pants over our swimsuits. (Now they sell UV swim pants and shirts, but back then they didn't.) We didn't get burned on our backs, and almost everyone else looked quite a bit pink to red after a day or two of that. Not all shirts block UV well, but they do sell special UV blocking clothing now.

From one who burns like a match, and about as quickly.....

Archived