Disembarking for Canadians...

darkwing1978

We are on an upcoming cruise on the Jewel. I'm wondering if any fellow Canadians can give me a heads up on how long it's going to take to get off the ship. I've heard horror stories about waiting in a holding area for hours. We have a 1:30pm flight and the ship is supposed to get in at 6am. Are we crazy or will we make it?!?

I have no idea how it works on the Jewel but in March of last year on the Sun, Canadians were asked to line up and get their passports in the theatre (at 6h30 am). When we got there the line was VERY long and we waited 10 minutes and it did not move. We left and went to the dining room and had a long and lovely breakfast. When we returned there was still a line but it was much shorter and about 10 minutes later we got our passports.

We then returned to our cabin and got our luggage and walked off the ship. We had been told that Canadians could not do express check out but once we had our passports we had no problem leaving. We travel light and each carry one small rolling suitcase, we did not put them outside our door for pick-up. We were off the ship by about 10h00.

First, select the 'Express Walk-Off' option. You have to take care of your own luggage, but it is by far the fastest way off the ship. (Yes, we are Canadian, and have done the 'Express Walk-Off')

You will recieve a notice in your stateroom the night before which will tell you where you have to pickup your passports. Depending on your stateroom location, it will give you a time to be there... On our last cruise, guests on the highest decks had the earliest timeslots. Being on deck 11, we had something ridiculous like 6:00-6:30AM. They do this to avoid the long lines. You do NOT have to be there at the stated time, you can't be there any earlier, but come by any time after and you'll be fine.

In my opinion, as long as your ship arrives as scheduled, you should make your flight.

In November, non-US citzens picked up their passports the day before debarkation. Then the next day when getting off, you are assigned a color based on what time your flight is, as you record your flight number on the registration form that you either fill out on line or mail in. We had a flight at 12:30 I think, and we were off the boat and at the airport by 8:30, it was a pretty long day...

We had too much stuff for the expess debarkation, but we were also told it was just for US citizens. But the line through customs was pretty quick, not sure if it even took as much as 15 minutes before we were off the boat and on the bus to the airport.

Have a great trip!

We just returned from the Sun sailing out of NO Feb 4, 2007. They did not hold our passports. We waited on the ship until our colour was called. We disembarked in the same line as the US citizens. We were all in one big line and saw the next available customs agent. It was very smooth. I was very happy to be able to hold on to my passport.

Just back from the Dream (Feb 10-17) out of Houston...they did not keep our passports (they had taken a photocopy when we checked in)....when we left the ship we sailed through customs...there was a long line for Us citizens (the majority of passangers) and then no line up at all for the non US citizens

We just returned from the Sun sailing out of NO Feb 4, 2007. They did not hold our passports. We waited on the ship until our colour was called. We disembarked in the same line as the US citizens. We were all in one big line and saw the next available customs agent. It was very smooth. I was very happy to be able to hold on to my passport.

That's great news! We hate having our passport confiscated and are on the Sun March 4th. Thanks for posting that!

I am Canadian and was on the Spirit (NY-Carrabean) last week. They kept our passports and supplied us with a photocopy before getting to the first port. We had to pickup our passport in the theater between 9 to 9:30 the morning of the disembarkation (the Spririt docks at 8am) and had to walk off the ship immediately after in a different section the the US citizens. We then met with an immigration officer in a building and got our luggage.

We got to the theater at 9:10 and were at our car by 10:10 (to the beautiful welcome of a flat tire...).

Hey! You are talking a "Canadian" passport aren't you. Ontario California was near where I went to school in LA. :p

I agree...never give up your passport.....any information they may need can be found in a photocopy....if you miss the ship for any reason....good luck catching a plane with a photocopy of your passport in your hand!

Well good luck on that because if the cruise line asks for your Canadian passport when you check in and you don't surrender it as requested, you aren't boarding. :(

Some lines confiscate them, some don't, NCL used to always. Ontario says their passport ("Canadian" ?) were not taken when they boarded the Sun in New Orleans recently. I hope "Ontario" is in fact from Ontario Canada and not Ontario California or some other state...:confused:

I am indeed from Ontario Canada. This was our 3rd cruise and the first time we did not have to surrender our passports. I don't know if it is a NCL policy or a new policy based on all the passport rules with flying etc.

When we checked in the man scanned my passport, took my picture, gave me my seapass and handed back my passport.

Hope that helps.

I have the same question .. we are booked on the Rocky Mountaineer post cruise right after we dock and we meet at 9am? If our cruise gets in at 7am .. will this be enough time? I mean .... surely the train company wouldnt book you and take your money if there were delays???

They will not hold your passport for an Alaska, Hawaii, Pacific Coastal or Mexican Riviera cruise. So, you shouldn't have a problem.

I have been on 3 of these cruises with the 4th upcoming and on none of them have they taken our passports and we were alowed to partake in the *express* disembarkation (if you can call it that).

I am indeed from Ontario Canada. This was our 3rd cruise and the first time we did not have to surrender our passports. I don't know if it is a NCL policy or a new policy based on all the passport rules with flying etc.

When we checked in the man scanned my passport, took my picture, gave me my seapass and handed back my passport.

Hope that helps.

Helps tons!!! Thanks! I really hate surrendering our passports.

• 3 weeks later...

Just check your schedule. I am pretty sure this leaves very early in the morning. I would think it would be a next morning departure and not at 0900 that day either. Just verify it with your travel agent.

Here are our photos from last year.

I just got off the Spirit in NYC (this Saturday). We landed just before 10 am.....I had a 1:45 train to catch. All Canadians and non US citizens have to go to the theater to pick up passports. Everything flows very goodDisembarkment is quite quick you should have no problems. Catching a cab can be difficult....you are given a number by the porters inside and we waited perhaps 1/2 hr and were at Penn Station by 11 am.

Plenty of time......Canadians were not eligable for express disembarkment......do not believe the horror stories.

We were on the Pearl from Feb 16th to the 25th. They did not take our passports, just scanned them in when we boarded.

On debarkation there were different lines for American and Non-US citizens and it was quick and painless.

Archived