excursions

vicreg

There's so many in St Petersburg it's hard to make a choice! I'd suggest Glories of St Petersburg ($189 pp) which gives you Catherine's Palace in the morning, a nice lunch, and the Hermitage in the afternoon. If you're still able to do more that night, we enjoyed the Evening Folkloric Spectacular ($39).

Or, you could do the Peterhof and Folk Show ($159) the first day and do just Catherine's Palace at Pushkin ($149) the second day.

If you're interested in just a 1/2 day excursion, try Murder on the Moika River ($72), which is a nice canal ride and a visit to Yusupov Palace, where Rasputin was killed.

Other than in St. Pete, the only ship's excursion we did was in Estonia: Tallinn's Old Town - A Walking Tour. ($59) This is good because a bus takes you up very close to the top of Toompea Hill (just a little further walk up to the top) and then the rest is all downhill to the shopping area! I know if we had tried to walk up the hill all the way we would have given up and missed the beatiful Nevsky Cathedral at the top.

Best thing in St. Petersburg is to take a private tour. I went with Red October and in two days and one night saw everything that was on all the HAL tours! Expensive, yes. But worth it.

I hope you have glorious weather in Stockholm. The sail in/out is spectacular. Sailing in that morning was the only time in my life I've regretted not having a balcony. HAL had a party on the bow as we sailed away. I stayed out there for most of four hours---long after everyone else had gone inside. It was one of the three prettiest rides in my cruising life.

Archived