??? for all you "experienced" cruisers out there

Sandi149

Hi folks.

My husband and I are going on our first "real" cruise in June aboard the Miracle out of NY. The other 2 cruises were just CTN. Anyway, I have some questions for all you "experienced" cruisers.

1. Mr. Pete I think you could probably answer my first question. We are going to be taking a cab to the ship's terminal. So when we arrive will there be porters waiting there by the curb so we can just give him our bags, or do we have to find the porters? Even if the cabin isn't 100% ready, can we drop off our carry-on bags so we don't have to drag them around with us?

2. Since we won't get our bags right away what type of outfits can hubby and I to wear at the first night's dinner. We are going to have late seating. Should I pack something for dinner in the carry-on? I really don't like that idea because everything will get so wrinkled. I know not to wear jeans in the dining room but on the first night would it be acceptable to wear a nice pair of jeans or just capris?

3. How does the disembark work in the ports? We are going to San Juan, St. Thomas and Tortola. After the ship docks, about how long does it take to actually get off the ship? In Tortola will they actually make every person go through immigration and show their passports? If you book a tour with Carnival, do you get to leave the ship quicker than people who didn't? We are booked with Carnival's Baths tour in Tortola.

4. I have read on here that after people get back on the ship from their port excursions the buffet is a madhouse. I think we would opt for room service. About how long would that take after coming back from a port?

5. With regard to customs coming back into United States waters. We plan on purchasing a lot of liquor, cigarettes, perfume, cosmetics and some jewelry from St. Thomas and some other souvenirs from San Juan and Tortola. I am not planning on lying about what we purchased since we are allowed 1600 p/p duty free and I'm sure we will have less than that. My question is, if we buy t-shirts , cosmetics and perfume from the islands, should we just list them as miscellaneous items? How does that work? How does the whole process of customs/immigration work when coming back home?

6. This question is about disembarking when we get back into NY so Mr. Pete you might want to help me again here. We are not going to do the self disembark and I know we have to put our bags out on the last night. How does the disembark work the last morning of the cruise? Where do we wait to be called? How does the whole process work?

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it. I'm sure there are a few more questions that I have, but I can't remember them right now....LOL!!!

Thanks. :D

1. Sorry, I cruise out of Galveston....don't know the answer.

2. They are pretty forgiving the first night, a lot of people don't get their luggage in time. I have always gotten mine (6 cruises) in time, but I am one of the first people on the boat (usually by noon) and I always put two tags on my luggage....just in case one rips off. So, either pack something in a carryon or take a chance and wear the clothes you boarded with.

3. don't know, sorry.

4. I haven't had this experience, buffet has always moved smoothly for me. Room service probably wouldn't take very long, maybe you could arrange it before you leave the boat??

5&6. I hope someone can help you here. I don't go on cruises to shop so I don't usually have much to report.

Good luck and have a fun cruise!!

Hola!

Yes, there will be porters all over the place. We drive to the pier and park, so I drop luggage, wife and DD, and I go up and park the car. They get on line.

Most of the times we have boarded, we have found our room ready, dropped our stuff, and then went to stuff ourselves. Only once have I been told I couldn't drop it, as the guy was still cleaning the room. (On RCCL, they actually CLOSE THE DOOR to the halls so you can't even sneak in.) :eek:

On the first night, pretty much anything goes, but we've never not had our luggage delivered before dinner. But, don't worry about it. The maitre d' will let you in, but he will give the daily speeches about each nights dress code for your subsequent nights. And you will see jeans on some any night except formal night.

In all three stops, there were never any lines at the times we got off. It was roughly an hour each place after docking. In SJ, I never even got off the ship.

There is no Immigration or customs until you get back to NY.

The only madhouse buffet was that day in Tortola, and for some God forsaken reason, they have the dining room closed for lunch that day. It was a madhouse! But I've yet to use room service.

And as far as debarking, we've only done the self assist in NY (ALTHOUGH, MY LAST TIME WAS MY LAST TIME....TOO MANY PEOPLE DOING IT NOW!)

So I'm long gone by the time they start calling colors. :)

...While you can wear what you embark in for dinner, I always pack an outfit. Something that doesn't visably wrinkle. Maybe capris/a simple blouse.

...Assuming none of them are "tender ports", you can debark as soon as the ship "clears". Often within an hour [or less] of arrival. People on CCL tours usually let off first.

...If all the purchases are small, you might want to list them in the misc. column. "Itemize" anything that's expensive. Each person is allowed a duty-free allotment of 1 carton cigarettes/one liter liquor. Because you're going to St. Thomas, your liquor allotment is higher if you purchase certain types of liquors in St. Thomas

...Wait in a "public area" [such as a lounge] while waiting for your final debarkation "color" to be called

1. Mr. Pete I think you could probably answer my first question. We are going to be taking a cab to the ship's terminal. So when we arrive will there be porters waiting there by the curb so we can just give him our bags, or do we have to find the porters? Even if the cabin isn't 100% ready, can we drop off our carry-on bags so we don't have to drag them around with us?

Porters will be available, you will see them, you can hand over your Checked luggage, ensure they have the Cruise Tags and the Cabin written on the Front with a Black Sharpie Marker. Tips are usually 1 dollar per bag.

You can Drop off your bags in the cabin and then sneak right out if they are still cleaning.

2. Since we won't get our bags right away what type of outfits can hubby and I to wear at the first night's dinner. We are going to have late seating. Should I pack something for dinner in the carry-on? I really don't like that idea because everything will get so wrinkled. I know not to wear jeans in the dining room but on the first night would it be acceptable to wear a nice pair of jeans or just capris?

For Late seating, you will have your Luggage by then, but still I would pack with my Carry-on bag a set of extra clothing just for dinner that night, very casual, like a Sun Dress for you and a Polo Shirt and Dockers for your husband with shoes. On the first night you can also get away with some dressy type Shorts. All Luggage are handed out by 6pm.

3. How does the disembark work in the ports? We are going to San Juan, St. Thomas and Tortola. After the ship docks, about how long does it take to actually get off the ship? In Tortola will they actually make every person go through immigration and show their passports? If you book a tour with Carnival, do you get to leave the ship quicker than people who didn't? We are booked with Carnival's Baths tour in Tortola.

When Disembarking they dont mess around when is pier side, if the ship ties up at 6am your off by 6:30am, won't take long at all. What does take long is if you have to get on a Tender. Yes, booking tours with Carnival you will have priority over everyone else, this is only if you are taking a Tender. With Some tours they want you to meet at the Theater because their will be additional wavers you will need to sign, as in Scuba excursions. The info will be written on the Tickets as to where to meet and at what time. Please don't be late, they will leave you. Just listen, follow the rules and you will be ok.

4. I have read on here that after people get back on the ship from their port excursions the buffet is a madhouse. I think we would opt for room service. About how long would that take after coming back from a port?

This is not true because everyone will be arriving during different times, often the Buffet is empty. And since you have a late dining time, Im sure you will go back to your cabin and put on some Aloe Vera due to some serious sun burns :confused: You can order Room Service and relax in your cabin.

Room Service will vary, from 20 minutes to 30, sometimes 45 minutes if very busy.

5. With regard to customs coming back into United States waters. We plan on purchasing a lot of liquor, cigarettes, perfume, cosmetics and some jewelry from St. Thomas and some other souvenirs from San Juan and Tortola. I am not planning on lying about what we purchased since we are allowed 1600 p/p duty free and I'm sure we will have less than that. My question is, if we buy t-shirts , cosmetics and perfume from the islands, should we just list them as miscellaneous items? How does that work? How does the whole process of customs/immigration work when coming back home?

There is a Disembarkation Debrief that will explain all of the customs duty free taxes for Liquor, Cigarettes etc. Don't miss this one if your are going to make alot of purchases. Yes you can list those as Gifts and just give them a total, what they are mostly concerned about is the Liquor. One thing you need to remember is the Amount of Space that is require in your luggage, you may have to buy more once out there. And if you are flying It will cost over 100.00 if the wieght limit is reached on that airline. Its usually 50 LBS per bag. I have a list of the Allowed baggage wieghts if you need that.

6. This question is about disembarking when we get back into NY so Mr. Pete you might want to help me again here. We are not going to do the self disembark and I know we have to put our bags out on the last night. How does the disembark work the last morning of the cruise? Where do we wait to be called? How does the whole process work?

Just like all ships, you can wait anywhere from a Lounge to Lido Deck. After self disembarkation is cleared, you can either wait for your color tag to be called or just leave when you like. Make sure you do not leave Carry-on items like Camera Bags, Laptops and your Liquor the night before, people have done this and these items have been missing.

Fred

Thanks folks....I appreciate the help. :)

Fred.....since I live in NY and it's only a cab ride home for us, I don't have to worry about how much my suitcases weigh. :D

I'm going to be bookmarking this thread so I can keep it for future reference.

Thanks again.

You are picking the right spot to load up on your liquor and stuff. 5 liters of alcohol with a local (Cruzan rum for example) are what you are allowed Duty free. I bought 4 liters in St. Thomas back in 2004 from a shop and they delivered it right to the ship for me. I got my alcohol the last day.

You don't have to list all of your items individually on the customs form either. In all the times I have filled them out, I put down souveniers, and approximately the amount I have spent on them. I don't think I have ever put down the alcohol on my customs form either, I know I just carried it in the duty free box with me through customs. I've had only the allowed duty free amount every time. When I came back from Rome, I had the two liters of Amaretto in my carry on with me. Since you are taking a taxi to the pier, just load up!

Also this customs form is the only US form I have ever seen that requires you to fill out the date in the format of date/month/year ex: 18/2/2007

Hi,

We have sailed out of NYC twice.

Once to Canada on the Victory and once on the Legend to the Caribbean. We love sailing out of NYC.

Please be up on the top deck for Sailaway. Absolutely breath taking and you will meet lots of folks who have never been to NYC and will need some sightseeing advice from us "natives" :D You will be standing waiting to see how much clearance you have under the Verranzano Bridge.:eek:

Please remember to have your picture ID with you in ports especially in San Juan. San Juan port security WILL not let any one past the gates unless you have picture ID. We saw a few people have to go to the rooms for others to get their ID from the Ship.

Waiting for your color to be called for debarkation in NYC can be daunting. Check cruisecal.com and see how many ships will be in port the same day.

We arrived back in NYC late May 2005 with the US NAVY for Fleet Week,

the tourists flocking to the NAVY Ships,

the Norwegian Dawn, the Norwegian Spirit

and The Legend. Lots of people!!

The West Side Highway was backed up in both directions for a long time. The NYPD was doing a great job of keeping the traffic moving but it was very very crowded. We opted to get off with the colors and we ended up walking to 55th Street to find our ride. Cabs were at a premium. We were thankful we had someone picking us up.

We were very sorry we had not done the self assist as we had done on the cruise to Canada. We were off the ship and on our way before 8AM.

Have a great time! We hope to sail from NYC again soon as there is nothing like it.;)

You are picking the right spot to load up on your liquor and stuff. 5 liters of alcohol with a local (Cruzan rum for example) are what you are allowed Duty free. I bought 4 liters in St. Thomas back in 2004 from a shop and they delivered it right to the ship for me. I got my alcohol the last day.

You don't have to list all of your items individually on the customs form either. In all the times I have filled them out, I put down souveniers, and approximately the amount I have spent on them. I don't think I have ever put down the alcohol on my customs form either, I know I just carried it in the duty free box with me through customs. I've had only the allowed duty free amount every time. When I came back from Rome, I had the two liters of Amaretto in my carry on with me. Since you are taking a taxi to the pier, just load up!

Also this customs form is the only US form I have ever seen that requires you to fill out the date in the format of date/month/year ex: 18/2/2007

Where do I get this customs form from? Will it be with my documents or do they hand it out on the ship?

Hi,

We have sailed out of NYC twice.

Once to Canada on the Victory and once on the Legend to the Caribbean. We love sailing out of NYC.

Please be up on the top deck for Sailaway. Absolutely breath taking and you will meet lots of folks who have never been to NYC and will need some sightseeing advice from us "natives" :D You will be standing waiting to see how much clearance you have under the Verranzano Bridge.:eek:

Please remember to have your picture ID with you in ports especially in San Juan. San Juan port security WILL not let any one past the gates unless you have picture ID. We saw a few people have to go to the rooms for others to get their ID from the Ship.

Waiting for your color to be called for debarkation in NYC can be daunting. Check cruisecal.com and see how many ships will be in port the same day.

We arrived back in NYC late May 2005 with the US NAVY for Fleet Week,

the tourists flocking to the NAVY Ships,

the Norwegian Dawn, the Norwegian Spirit

and The Legend. Lots of people!!

The West Side Highway was backed up in both directions for a long time. The NYPD was doing a great job of keeping the traffic moving but it was very very crowded. We opted to get off with the colors and we ended up walking to 55th Street to find our ride. Cabs were at a premium. We were thankful we had someone picking us up.

We were very sorry we had not done the self assist as we had done on the cruise to Canada. We were off the ship and on our way before 8AM.

Have a great time! We hope to sail from NYC again soon as there is nothing like it.;)

Ohhh I have been on 2 Cruises to nowhere out of NY so I know the sailaway is great. There isn't much clearance under the Verrazano. In Oct when we went on the 2night aboard the Legend it looked like there was maybe a foot to spare. :eek:

We are going the beginning of June so we don't have to worry about Fleet week. I made sure not to sail out around that time because I know how crazy the city gets.

Fred.....since I live in NY and it's only a cab ride home for us, I don't have to worry about how much my suitcases weigh. :D

I'm going to be bookmarking this thread so I can keep it for future reference.

Thanks again.

Thats great, no flying, we don't have to fly either :D

Go up to Thread Tools on top and click on Subscribe to this Thread, if anyone posts, you will get an email and the link to it to reply.

You will get your Customs from in your cabin, last day of the cruise.

Fred

Where do I get this customs form from? Will it be with my documents or do they hand it out on the ship?

It will be handed out on the ship prior to disembarking. I believe it is delivered to your stateroom.

It's the same form if you fly into the US. That is given to you on the plane.

I found a sample of this form for you. http://cruises.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=cruises&cdn=travel&tm=86&gps=141_982_1020_585&f=00&su=p531.22.152.ip_p532.6.150.ip_p284.5.420.ip_p531.20.420.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

Click on the sample form on the right hand column. Also this link may answer some of your other questions too.

It will be handed out on the ship prior to disembarking. I believe it is delivered to your stateroom.

It's the same form if you fly into the US. That is given to you on the plane.

I found a sample of this form for you. http://cruises.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=cruises&cdn=travel&tm=86&gps=141_982_1020_585&f=00&su=p531.22.152.ip_p532.6.150.ip_p284.5.420.ip_p531.20.420.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

Click on the sample form on the right hand column. Also this link may answer some of your other questions too.

Great....thank you. :)

Ohhh I have been on 2 Cruises to nowhere out of NY so I know the sailaway is great. There isn't much clearance under the Verrazano. In Oct when we went on the 2night aboard the Legend it looked like there was maybe a foot to spare. :eek:

We are going the beginning of June so we don't have to worry about Fleet week. I made sure not to sail out around that time because I know how crazy the city gets.

Have a great time!

Hi folks.

My husband and I are going on our first "real" cruise in June aboard the Miracle out of NY. The other 2 cruises were just CTN. Anyway, I have some questions for all you "experienced" cruisers.

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it. I'm sure there are a few more questions that I have, but I can't remember them right now....LOL!!!

Thanks. :D

Did you do a search of the boards for your answers first?Cruise critic does mention to do that.

Steve

Did you do a search of the boards for your answers first?Cruise critic does mention to do that.

Steve

Yes I did a search but the search function barely ever works. :rolleyes: Obviously the other posters had no problem answering my questions.

So you just responded to this thread to tell me that??? :mad:

Yes I did a search but the search function barely ever works. :rolleyes: Obviously the other posters had no problem answering my questions.

So you just responded to this thread to tell me that??? :mad:

Yes I did.The boards are filled with junk and it keeps getting filled more and more and it runs slower and slower. I am trying hard not to contribute to it any more. How many repeat questions do we need?Yes many other posters did answer but that is just so they can increase the post count.

With almost 800 postings how could you not know the answer to many of those questions?:rolleyes:

It is CC who suggests using the search function.If that is running slow,take it up with them.

Steve

Yes I did.The boards are filled with junk and it keeps getting filled more and more and it runs slower and slower. I am trying hard not to contribute to it any more. How many repeat questions do we need?Yes many other posters did answer but that is just so they can increase the post count.

With almost 800 postings how could you not know the answer to many of those questions?:rolleyes:

It is CC who suggests using the search function.If that is running slow,take it up with them.

Steve

First of all MY posts are NOT junk!!! I don't care what you think. I asked legitimate questions that I didn't know the answers to. My posts aren't clogging up the boards....there are people here with 5000, 10,000 and even 20,000 posts. And the people who answered my questions are genuine helpful people. Not like you who it seems only likes to pick. I wouldn't talk about post counts Steve....how many do you have......over 1200???? Yes I have over 700 posts, but they aren't only posted on the Carnival board, they are posted on other boards and you know what. It is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS WHAT I POST OR HOW MANY POSTS I HAVE!!!!! I DO NOT HAVE TO JUSTIFY ANYTHING TO YOU!!!

If you don't like what I post, don't read it!!!!! Didn't your mother ever tell you, that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.

So you know what.....now you can go away and fade into the sunset. Don't you have anything constructive to do? Thanks to the many helpful people on this board.

Sandi,

If you want to just pack me in your luggage I'll be glad to go along and answer any questions you have as they come up.:D

Hey Grampsy....thanks for posting...yup you can definitely be a stowaway with me. :D Just ignore Steve....he doesn't say anything positive. I have no use for people like him!!

Archived