Boston port to down town

hylasgirl

You are absolutely right about Rome. If you read my previous post, I'm real close to cancelling that trip because of the outrageous costs. I'm waiting to see if the dollar can gain any strength before making the decision to actually go. With the Princess special $100 pp deposit, I won't lose a huge amount of money if I cancel out.

And again, you are right. Nothing you say on this board is going to change the fact that $8 or $12 in addition to the $26 pp already paid for the trolley tour to go 2-3 miles was just not acceptable to me. Nothing you say will convince me that kind of fee is necessary. The shuttle in Victoria was $4. There was no fee in Seattle or Vancouver. Even the ports in Mexico, San Juan Puerto Rico, St. Martin, St. Thomas were all much more walker/cruiser friendly. And the island tours we took made sure to stop as they wanted you to spend your money on their island, and I believe all the ports in Alaska (even though their towns aren't very large) all accommodate the cruise ship passengers.

And what the heck is the "T". Some kind of subway??? I didn't ride the subway in NYC and had no plans to try and get around Boston on my own, that's why I paid for the excursion. I had originally planned to do a pedicab, but my friend didn't want to try that. You can try to justify all you want, the fact remains the fees for the shuttle were too high. JMHO.

And possibly by my posting this adverse information, might save other cruisers from making the same mistake. Check out your excursions carefully and make sure of what they offer and where they go.

Yes, the "T" is "some kind of subway" There are MANY threads devoted to the T in the New England forum. It is NOTHNG like NYC or LA. But again, if you had read those threads you would have known that. Boston can not be compared to either of those much larger or more highly populated areas. I am not justifying that you paid a high price for your tour...you made that decision. I was pointing out that other options available, the silverline shuttle is $1.50 or so from the terminal, it is well marked and unfortunately someone gave you the wrong or unhelpful information. A cab can be split with others going on the same tour. The $10 is not per person it's per cabfull. An entire city shouldn't be judged due to the proximity of a port. Those above ports you mention, again depend on tourist dollars from the cruise ships. Boston does not. Our majority of tour dollars are for land tours and that is not our main source of income by any means. We love to have our guests enjoy the heritage, the fine people, the beautiful scenery and not let one problem that could have been solved with some eduction and (help from our kind members) jade a potential trip here for others. As far as walker friendly, everything is so close by and easy to walk to. You would be amazed! The trolley ride itinerary can be done on foot since the city is so small. So for under $20 4 people could ride a cab into the heart of the city, do the Freedom Trail and pay nothing else unless they decided to eat, drink or attend a function/admission. I will say it once again, just because you were not told or offered the low priced transportation, it does exist. I would be more then happy to show you around Boston on my own gas dollars.

And again, you are right. Nothing you say on this board is going to change the fact that $8 or $12 in addition to the $26 pp already paid for the trolley tour to go 2-3 miles was just not acceptable to me. Nothing you say will convince me that kind of fee is necessary. The shuttle in Victoria was $4. There was no fee in Seattle or Vancouver. Even the ports in Mexico, San Juan Puerto Rico, St. Martin, St. Thomas were all much more walker/cruiser friendly. And the island tours we took made sure to stop as they wanted you to spend your money on their island, and I believe all the ports in Alaska (even though their towns aren't very large) all accommodate the cruise ship passengers.

And what the heck is the "T". Some kind of subway??? I didn't ride the subway in NYC and had no plans to try and get around Boston on my own, that's why I paid for the excursion. I had originally planned to do a pedicab, but my friend didn't want to try that. You can try to justify all you want, the fact remains the fees for the shuttle were too high. JMHO.

And possibly by my posting this adverse information, might save other cruisers from making the same mistake. Check out your excursions carefully and make sure of what they offer and where they go.

We all agree that you should not have to pay $8-12 pp on top of $26 pp to get to/from Boston downtown. That is outrageous. Not to beat a dead horse, but your problem was that you didn't do your homework and jumped on a tour trolley that ripped you off. That is not the city of Boston's fault--it is yours. You had many options: tour trolleys, on/off trolleys, taxis, one-way or RT shuttles, T subway, walk). You just made a bad (and expensive) one. Nobody is trying to make you feel bad, it's just that you are saying Boston should've done this or done that, and we're saying you gotta meet a big city halfway and do your own homework. Bigger city means more choices which also means more opportunities to get screwed.

Hey, how come your posts keep beating mine by a few minutes every time!? :)

So for under $20 4 people could ride a cab into the heart of the city, do the Freedom Trail and pay nothing else unless they decided to eat, drink or attend a function/admission.

This is exactly what we did. BTW and FWIW, we did more, saw more and spent less in Boston than we did in Halifax, Bar Harbor, Portland or Saint John! I, for one, am grateful for the relative inaccessibility of silly souvenir tents and gift shops. Hehehe.

To each their own. I like the souvenirs (I always get a thimble and a spoon from my destinations).

Well, when we exited the ship, there was so much chaos, we saw big signs that said shuttle $8.00 one-way, another that said $12.00 round trip, but as we had paid for the Old Town Trolley we looked for that and as you say were not really prepared that it wouldn't stop somewhere.

We were content to see what we could see from the Old Town Trolley until we discovered it wasn't making any stops in downtown Boston.

Again we are two older ladies travelling alone together, even if I had known about your "T" or bus or taxi, I wouldn't have ventured off on our own in a strange town. I don't venture to Los Angeles alone and I've lived here for 47 years.

I still think Boston could do a better job, but you are clearly set that it's okay the way it is. So we have to agree to disagree on this one.

To each their own. I like the souvenirs (I always get a thimble and a spoon from my destinations).

Well, when we exited the ship, there was so much chaos, we saw big signs that said shuttle $8.00 one-way, another that said $12.00 round trip, but as we had paid for the Old Town Trolley we looked for that and as you say were not really prepared that it wouldn't stop somewhere.

We were content to see what we could see from the Old Town Trolley until we discovered it wasn't making any stops in downtown Boston.

Again we are two older ladies travelling alone together, even if I had known about your "T" or bus or taxi, I wouldn't have ventured off on our own in a strange town. I don't venture to Los Angeles alone and I've lived here for 47 years.

I still think Boston could do a better job, but you are clearly set that it's okay the way it is. So we have to agree to disagree on this one.

I think most of us are truly sorry things didn't work out better for you in Boston. And nobody is saying "it's okay the way it is". Who wouldn't prefer to have a greeter, a free shuttle, better signs, etc.?! The point is that this is the way most major cities are and it's not going to change. You need to be better prepared and more self-sufficient to truly enjoy these big cities, or else you risk being disappointed and/or overspending. Your earlier remarks about Rome indicate to me much of the same. Rome is an big, ancient, chaotic, trafficy, noisy and expensive city. But I still say go because, despite these drawbacks, it is IMHO worthwhile to visit one of the truly magnificent cities of the world! However if you are hung up on $100+ on the bus transport to/from the city, AND you refuse to try the cheaper train AND you are hoping for a stronger dollar just to save a few bucks, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Travel is more (sometimes MUCH more) expensive in many places than others but these costs are well-known. Only you can do the cost-benefit analysis of whether a Boston or Rome are worth the extra money and hassles. For me, they're the main reason I travel. For you, it's perhaps too expensive and troublesome to bother. There's nothing to agree or disagree on here--just where your personal preferences, budget and risk tolerances will take you!

Well now I understand your reasoning more. You made the decision you did because you DID NOT want to use the T, bus or taxi. Not because other options were not available. When you want private transport in a major metroplitan city, expect to pay more.

I have lived here for over 50 years and to be honest, it is the easiest city to get about in by public transportation but one that I despise driving in due to the copius volume of traffic. The system is very safe unlike many other big cities. That said, one needs to be on guard wherever one travels to. I too, am an older woman who travels alone with my DH and kids and with other friends so I make sure I map it all out first. Also, the cruise companies need to work with the city regarding this and by what I have read they are not as willing as others. We are not a cruise line built port like a Costa Maya for example. I agree meeting half way is the best solution. If enough passengers complain to the cruise ships then perhaps they will do something about it and work with the city. My offer still stands if you ever return here.

RedSox fan you can give me a tour anytime. Your knowledge of the subway is incredible and I've learned a lot and I live here :D

I take the T to Fenway cause it's cheaper and easier then driving even though it's only minutes down Route 9 but only knew that the D train went there now I know that other greenlines go there as well. Shameful for someone who has lived here my whole life :eek:

RedSox fan you can give me a tour anytime. Your knowledge of the subway is incredible and I've learned a lot and I live here :D

I take the T to Fenway cause it's cheaper and easier then driving even though it's only minutes down Route 9 but only knew that the D train went there now I know that other greenlines go there as well. Shameful for someone who has lived here my whole life :eek:

I too, take the T to Fenway. It's ridiculous that they charge over $50 to park near the Fenway for the game! I used to drive in from Worcester but that is too ridiculous! I pay enough for the tickets and concessions. DH works in the city and I park at his office and take the T in.

I learned the T while in school, showing everyone that comes to MA the sites, and by having kids that go to school and live in Boston. Plus the traffic is hell! lol. I'd be glad to give you a tour, Auntie! Tonight I am going to CT to stay over and am flying out to Chicago at the crack of dawn for 5 days to visit one of my friends. :) Just me, myself and I!

Tonight I am going to CT to stay over and am flying out to Chicago at the crack of dawn for 5 days to visit one of my friends. :) Just me, myself and I!

Have a great time. Those are my traveling companions this October on the Liberty. Never talk back :p

RedSoxFan11,

Thanks for the offer of sightseeing, but I doubt I will return to the East Coast, but one never knows. My New England/Canada cruise was the first time that far East. I used to live in Michigan, and I had been as far East as Buffalo New York, where my father was born. But as far as NYC, Boston, Maine, Nova Scotia, etc. that was the first trip.

There are so many places to see and so little time and money, I don't usually return to a place unless I absolutely love it, and even then not sometimes. We loved Victoria BC, but haven't been able to get back that way either.

And you're right, I did put in my comment card that I thought the cruiselines handling of tours at the pier was chaotic and I didn't appreciate paying for the tour and then having to pay again for a shuttle. So hopefully you are right and they will work with the city on a better resolution.

Happy travels.

Here's a good site on navigating the T. The Orange, Green and Blue Line all get you there.

http://www.theinsider.com/Boston/Survive/mbta.htm

By the T, the Paul Revere House is closest to the Haymarket and North Station MBTA stops on the Orange and Green lines, but is no more than a ten-minute walk from the Government Center stop on the Blue line.

Have fun at Mikes! They have the best cannoli's (and I'm Italian, lol) The Paul Revere House and Faneuil Hall are both in the North end and not far apart at all. Not a bad walk.

thank you for your help! I know we will enjoy Boston! ( esp Mike's pastries! A coworker that used to live in Boston, said go to Mike's even if we went NOwhere else!)

• 2 weeks later...

I have read many of the boards for Boston and I think I have figured it out, will someone tell me if I am right or wrong????

Okay you can take a taxi for $10.00 that will take you to the beginning of Freedom Trail or the Silver Line bus for $1.70pp.

The Freedom trail is easy to follow and can be done easily in 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on your pace and how long you view a stop.

You will see more on the trail than you would from a bus or trolley tour.

It is accomodating for a wheelchair.

There are restaurants and restrooms available on the North End of the trail.

I want a good lobster dinner, any recommendations for near the ship?

I thank all of you for your comments and suggestions, the boards have been very helpful (that is if I got the above right)

thanks

Karen

I have read many of the boards for Boston and I think I have figured it out, will someone tell me if I am right or wrong????

Okay you can take a taxi for $10.00 that will take you to the beginning of Freedom Trail or the Silver Line bus for $1.70pp.

The Freedom trail is easy to follow and can be done easily in 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on your pace and how long you view a stop.

You will see more on the trail than you would from a bus or trolley tour.

It is accomodating for a wheelchair.

There are restaurants and restrooms available on the North End of the trail.

I want a good lobster dinner, any recommendations for near the ship?

I thank all of you for your comments and suggestions, the boards have been very helpful (that is if I got the above right)

thanks

Karen

Just for perspective, here's what we did in 4 1/2 hours (11 am -3:30 pm) on the Freedom Trail:

1. Took cab ride ($11 incl tip) to Old State House.

2. Toured Old State House and stopped in at NPS Visitor Center.

3. Walked to Quincy Market. Used bathrooms, ate lunch and got iced coffee.

4. Toured Assembly Hall at Faneuil Hall.

5. Walked to and toured Paul Revere House. Stopped at a store/gift shop for souvenirs and water along the way.

6. Walked to and toured Old North Church.

7. Walked to and used bathrooms at NPS Visitor Center next to Old North Church.

8. Caught a cab ($12 incl tip) back to ship at Black Falcon Terminal.

A couple other thoughts:

- The Freedom Trail is very walkable but it is obviously the old, historic part of the city (i.e. uneven surfaces, cobblestones, no ramps, etc.) so alot of it is not that wheelchair-friendly

- Don't recall seeing any restaurants around the terminal in South Boston; try the North End?

Just for perspective, here's what we did in 4 1/2 hours (11 am -3:30 pm) on the Freedom Trail:

1. Took cab ride ($11 incl tip) to Old State House.

2. Toured Old State House and stopped in at NPS Visitor Center.

3. Walked to Quincy Market. Used bathrooms, ate lunch and got iced coffee.

4. Toured Assembly Hall at Faneuil Hall.

5. Walked to and toured Paul Revere House. Stopped at a store/gift shop for souvenirs and water along the way.

6. Walked to and toured Old North Church.

7. Walked to and used bathrooms at NPS Visitor Center next to Old North Church.

8. Caught a cab ($12 incl tip) back to ship at Black Falcon Terminal.

A couple other thoughts:

- The Freedom Trail is very walkable but it is obviously the old, historic part of the city (i.e. uneven surfaces, cobblestones, no ramps, etc.) so alot of it is not that wheelchair-friendly

- Don't recall seeing any restaurants around the terminal in South Boston; try the North End?

Thank you so very much, you have changed our plans completely, we will go with a trolley tour, you are the first that commented on the wheelchair accessible walking on the Freedom Trail. We will go to Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall if we can get there. Again thank you, you were a great help.

Terpnut: What was walking time like from Old State House to Quincy Market? From there to Paul Revere House and Old North Church?
From Old State House to Quincy Market is only 5 minutes and maybe 1/8 mile. From Paul Revere House to Old North Church is only 10 minutes and perhaps 1/4 mile. As you can see, this middle stretch of the Freedom Trail barely qualifies as exercise! The ENTIRE Freedom Trail from Boston Common to Bunker Hill is only 2.5 miles! :)

How would you recommend getting from the pier area to Quincy Market with a wheelchair and walker? We don't make things easy! There are three of us on the NCL Dawn, arriving on a Friday about noon.

I've sent an email off to the agency that governs taxi service in the City. I'll let you know what I hear from them. My suspicion is that you could approach a taxi cab, request those accomadations and they can call their dispatch and request that type of vehicle.

Can you please tell me how to get from Boston Pier to the Science Museum (duck tour) Thank you

Depending on how many people you are, and assuming you aren't going during rush hour, the easiest way would simply be to cab it from the pier. I am awful at estimating cab fares in Boston but I think it would be under $25.

If you want to try the T, here's my recommendation for a mix of T and cab:

Silver line inbound to South Station.

Transfer to Red Line, inbound.

Take Red Line four stops to Kendall/MIT, the first stop after you cross the bridge (and it is a lovely view of Boston from that bridge).

Get out, look for a cab on the street. If you can't find one, go through the lobby of the Marriott to the other side for their cab stand.

Take a cab to Museum of Science. Shouldn't be more than like $7; it's only a mile.

The all T alternative, which will be cheaper but more time consuming and possibly frustrating is,

Silver line inbound to South Station. Transfer to Red Line.

Red line inbound to Park Street. Go upstairs to transfer to Green line outbound, direction of Lechmere.

You'll see trains saying Government Center, North Station, or Lechmere. You want the last one, which doesn't come that frequently. Take it to Science Park stop and there you are. It may take a little longer but it's the cheapest way.

I've read through all 5 pages of this thread, and nowhere does anyone give directions on how to get from the Black Falcon Terminal (where cruise ships dock) to the Silver Line Rapid Transit bus (SL2) that runs to South Station, where you can catch the T. The cruiseport's website indicates the stop is at Black Falcon Avenue and Design Center Place. Does anybody know for sure how far this is from where the ships dock?

I agree Boston's a breeze to get around once you get to a T-station, and is a very walkable city.

Anybody who can tell me how to get from the ship to the SL2 bus will earn my undying gratitude!

Thanks,

snowy

I've read through all 5 pages of this thread, and nowhere does anyone give directions on how to get from the Black Falcon Terminal (where cruise ships dock) to the Silver Line Rapid Transit bus (SL2) that runs to South Station, where you can catch the T. The cruiseport's website indicates the stop is at Black Falcon Avenue and Design Center Place. Does anybody know for sure how far this is from where the ships dock?

I agree Boston's a breeze to get around once you get to a T-station, and is a very walkable city.

Anybody who can tell me how to get from the ship to the SL2 bus will earn my undying gratitude!

Thanks,

snowy

I'm going to defer to RedSoxFan as I have no clue myself and I live here :o

Hi snowy,

I've been struggling with the same problem. Six of us will be there October 18th and plan to use MBTA to get around. I think I finally solved the mystery of where the Silver line terminal is for the Black Falcon Cruise Ship Terminal.

If you look at this MBTA web page and zoom in there are 3 stations on the SL2, or the Boston Marine Industrial Park side, and 3 on the SL3 or City Point side. These would appear to bracket the Black Falcon Terminal. I don't know exactly where our ship, the Spirit, will be docked but I assume there will be signs around.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

I can't include a map here but I could e-mail one to you. johnbetty@jbglenn.com

John

None of the distances we're all talking about in the city are great. It's a short walk from Black Falcon to the nearest T station or, if you're reasonably fit, even into downtown! Personally, I would not waste time on the bus and the extra waiting/transfer. Either walk straight to the T station, or take a cab directly to where you want to go.

The cruiseport's website indicates the stop is at Black Falcon Avenue and Design Center Place. Does anybody know for sure how far this is from where the ships dock?

Looking on Google maps, it's really close. I can't give you exact distances but unless you've got accessibility issues the distance is trivial. I think the stop was basically put there to service cruise ships.

I haven't taken that branch of the Silver Line or done the walk from the pier to South Station, so I'm not going to say anything to contradict Terpnut above. :)

Archived