Boston port to down town

hylasgirl

I don't know if this is information anyone needs but we recently took a cab from North Station to the Black Falcon terminal and it was $13 one way and $10 back. This may give you an idea of cab fare- Boston is small and if you want to go someplace like Fanueil Hall or the Aquarium it's pretty cheap to get there by cab and they are lined up outside the ship.

Barb

The T stop is right nearby and a lot cheaper and you don't have to deal with sitting in traffic. It's only a couple bucks and I think a day pass is like $7.50. There is also a water taxi that can take you over to the Aquarium and all of the other areas on the waterfront (not cheap, something like $10 if I recall. I last went on it a year ago when we had guests visiting Boston)

Have fun in our state. I can usually answer a lot of New England questions along with a lot of other good New England people on this board. DH works in the city so he knows all of the little short cuts and nuances even better then I do.

I should have added just take the silver line on the T. The freedom trail can be picked up at a variety of different stops.

here'e the T map

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

here's a good article abput our subways and attractions

http://www.shermanstravel.com/destinations/spotlight_on/Boston/Attractions

Can you tell me which stop on the Silver Line is closest to the Black Falcon Pier?

Thanks!

The T stop is right nearby and a lot cheaper and you don't have to deal with sitting in traffic. It's only a couple bucks and I think a day pass is like $7.50. There is also a water taxi that can take you over to the Aquarium and all of the other areas on the waterfront (not cheap, something like $10 if I recall. I last went on it a year ago when we had guests visiting Boston)

Have fun in our state. I can usually answer a lot of New England questions along with a lot of other good New England people on this board. DH works in the city so he knows all of the little short cuts and nuances even better then I do.

Benefit to the water taxi is that the Aquarium is very close to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall and the North End. The city is very small and easy to navigate on foot or "T".

I actually have a Boston question since you are all so kind. We have not been to Boston before and plan to use taxis (and the T) to and from different areas that we plan to see. I have read on the Trip Advisor forum that some warn to not take certain taxis.Is there anyone that knows which taxis they may be referring to and is there a specific reason why? We will most likely take a taxi, because of all of our cruise luggage:rolleyes: to our Back Bay hotel. Would you not agree that would be the easiest??

Thanks for your help!

Linda

Not sure what they are referring to, I would just look for a taxi that was clearly marked and shows a license/medallion on the vehicle.

Black Falcon Pier is controlled by Massport as is Logan Airport and I imagine they monitor the taxis themselves to make sure that they are legit.

I agree with auntie. As a MA native and a frequent visitor to Tripadvisor I can't figure out what the poster meant by "certain cab companies." My guess is that they just got a bad driver. Naturally that can happen in any large city and with any cab company. Granted, driving a cab is an entry level position for many imigrants and maybe the poster was put off by the fact that their driver was more like Latka Gravas then Alex Rega.

Who knows?

Boston is a great walking city, so don't sweat the cab rides.

Enjoy our city!

I agree with auntie. As a MA native and a frequent visitor to Tripadvisor I can't figure out what the poster meant by "certain cab companies." My guess is that they just got a bad driver. Naturally that can happen in any large city and with any cab company. Granted, driving a cab is an entry level position for many imigrants and maybe the poster was put off by the fact that their driver was more like Latka Gravas then Alex Rega.

Who knows?

Boston is a great walking city, so don't sweat the cab rides.

Enjoy our city!

I agree as well. The cabs here are highly regulated but the T and walking is so much easier and less expensive. You'll be surprised at how compact it is here! Sitting in a cab in the traffic here (and there's a lot!) will add up the $$$$ really fast.

For getting from the pier to the hotel with luggage, the T would be tough but for navigating the city it's the ONLY way to go!

You might want to ask at the hotel to see if they have a sedan service that you pick you up. Doubtful it would be free but might be worth it not to have to stand in line for a cab at the pier.

Enjoy Boston, it's a great city with lots to do and easy to get from one section to another. Lots of history to explore. If you have kids they have a sculpture that is for the book Make Way for Ducklings. Life size and the kids can sit on them for pictures.

The Silver T line from the pier may be cheaper than a taxi... but you are still going to be dealing with traffic because it is not a typical T from my understanding... but a bus. So... even though it is the silver T... it is a bus, and you will be sitting in traffic with the taxis.

So... question... there will be plenty of taxis at the port? And how long by taxi would you say it takes to get to the Aquarium?

Thanks again.

Hi,

There are 6 of that will be in boston Thursday, October 18th at the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. Here's a page that shows some of our plans for the day. http://home.mchsi.com/~jbglenn36/bost.html Click on the map for a larger version.

The original plan was to take the Silver line to the Green line to get to Fenway Park. If there is a water taxi station near the cruise terminal it might be more fun to take that and catch the green line at the Aquarium by waterfront Park.

I see the boat schedules on the MBTA site but don't know which line it might be or where to catch it. Can anybody tell me??? :confused:

John

Can't help you with the transportation to Fenway but wanted to let you know that there are two "Cheers" Bars. One at Faneuil Hall and the other at the Public Garden. The orginal one is the one at the Public Garden. Never been to either one myself.

Enjoy your visit, Boston is a great city!

AuntieBon,

If you take the Silver Line (bus) from the Black Falcon Pier, it will take you to one of the T lines -- which line would this be and where will it go to?

Do you need to buy a day transit pass to get on and off at different points? Where do you buy it and approx. cost? We have at least one senior citizen with us who should qualify for a senior fare discount.

We will be in Boston on 10/25/07 -- weekday.

MARAPRINCE

AuntieBon,

If you take the Silver Line (bus) from the Black Falcon Pier, it will take you to one of the T lines -- which line would this be and where will it go to?

Do you need to buy a day transit pass to get on and off at different points? Where do you buy it and approx. cost? We have at least one senior citizen with us who should qualify for a senior fare discount.

We will be in Boston on 10/25/07 -- weekday.

MARAPRINCE

Not real familiar with the T and living in the burbs, if I go to Fenway it's east/inbound but you'll need to go west/outbound. The Green Line D train has a stop, Fenway, that is very close to the park and I believe it's fairly well marked with street/directional signs.

According to the T website, http://www.MBTA.COM they have a one day pass for $9.00 that will allow you to get on and off. You should be able to purchase the day pass when you get to the station.

I find this thread intersting. I did New England/Canada cruise in Sept/Oct '06, and Boston is the only town in the whole itinerary that I didn't make one purchase.

I paid approx. $26 pp for a trolley tour from the ship around Boston. As she passed Faneuil Hall and the Market, stating she could drop us off there, but then we'd have to make our own way the 3 miles??? back to the pier. Now after already paying $26, I wasn't willing to fork out any money for a shuttle to/from the pier, nor even $10 for a taxi. S00000, long story short, we rode the trolley back to the ship and played cards in our cabin until departure.

Not purchasing one single souvenir, meal, shirt, hat, NADA. I felt Boston didn't want my tourist dollar very badly to not be willing to provide a shuttle ride for $1 or $2 instead of $8 or $12, when the port is so far from downtown. Boston is on my list of not return places.

I find this thread intersting. I did New England/Canada cruise in Sept/Oct '06, and Boston is the only town in the whole itinerary that I didn't make one purchase.

I paid approx. $26 pp for a trolley tour from the ship around Boston. As she passed Faneuil Hall and the Market, stating she could drop us off there, but then we'd have to make our own way the 3 miles??? back to the pier. Now after already paying $26, I wasn't willing to fork out any money for a shuttle to/from the pier, nor even $10 for a taxi. S00000, long story short, we rode the trolley back to the ship and played cards in our cabin until departure.

Not purchasing one single souvenir, meal, shirt, hat, NADA. I felt Boston didn't want my tourist dollar very badly to not be willing to provide a shuttle ride for $1 or $2 instead of $8 or $12, when the port is so far from downtown. Boston is on my list of not return places.

I'm sorry you were disappointed in my city but I have been on 8 cruises and when I've ventured into a port on my own never had a shuttle offered by the shop. There are tours that offer the Hop-on/Hop-off function that would have allowed you to stop at Faneuil Hall and then get back to the pier.

As for the distance from the pier to Downtown Boston, it's only 3 miles from Black Falcon Pier to the North End (looked it up for a recent posting on CC) and the North End is a street away from Faneuil Hall.

Please don't blame this on Boston or our not wanting tourist dollars as I think that's unfair. Your situation was a miscommunication/misunderstanding about what you could expect from the trolley tour, which by the way is private company not affiliated with the City of Boston, and not Boston's lacking IMHO.

I'm sorry you were disappointed in my city but I have been on 8 cruises and when I've ventured into a port on my own never had a shuttle offered by the shop. There are tours that offer the Hop-on/Hop-off function that would have allowed you to stop at Faneuil Hall and then get back to the pier.

As for the distance from the pier to Downtown Boston, it's only 3 miles from Black Falcon Pier to the North End (looked it up for a recent posting on CC) and the North End is a street away from Faneuil Hall.

Please don't blame this on Boston or our not wanting tourist dollars as I think that's unfair. Your situation was a miscommunication/misunderstanding about what you could expect from the trolley tour, which by the way is private company not affiliated with the City of Boston, and not Boston's lacking IMHO.

While you are right that the trolley tour may not be affiliated with Boston, the pier certainly is. I think it was very poor planning to have the cruise pier 3 miles (not walkable for a 60 and 78 yr old) and not have affordable transportation. We went to Portland Maine (walked everywhere), Bar Harbor Maine (walked everywhere), Saint John New Brunswick (walked everywhere), and Quebec (walked everywhere). Boston was our only port that wasn't cruiser friendly.

Now I know not all cities are cruiser friendly, I'm wrestling with having to pay $130 to travel from Rome to the port of Civitavecchia, but for a city in my own Country that is right on the coast to want $10-12 to go 3 lousy miles is just incredible. Sorry if that hurt your feelings, but that is just my opinion.

By the Way loved the trolley tour and seeing all the history of Boston.

While you are right that the trolley tour may not be affiliated with Boston, the pier certainly is. I think it was very poor planning to have the cruise pier 3 miles (not walkable for a 60 and 78 yr old) and not have affordable transportation. We went to Portland Maine (walked everywhere), Bar Harbor Maine (walked everywhere), Saint John New Brunswick (walked everywhere), and Quebec (walked everywhere). Boston was our only port that wasn't cruiser friendly.

Now I know not all cities are cruiser friendly, I'm wrestling with having to pay $130 to travel from Rome to the port of Civitavecchia, but for a city in my own Country that is right on the coast to want $10-12 to go 3 lousy miles is just incredible. Sorry if that hurt your feelings, but that is just my opinion.

By the Way loved the trolley tour and seeing all the history of Boston.

Our city was set up long before cruise ships decided to use it as a vacation destination so I wouldn't call it poor planning. They put a pier in an area that was available. Boston is a compact city and the rest of the area on the coast is already built up. If you bought the $7.50 all day T pass you would pay that for indefinite amounts of travel for an entire day! The T is very easy to get around and I have put a map up on this site numerous times to show the stops in conjunction with the sites/activities at or near those stops. The silver line starts at the port. Doing a little research helps and there is reasonable transportation for a variety of budgets. The cabs are always expensive in a big city. Those 3 lousy miles you speak of can take up to a half hour of travel during rush hour. Those prices are normal around here. The Northeast is expensive. An example is the MA minimum wage is $7.50 an hour and soon to be $8.00 in January. The federal is $5.85. We pay $10 for a cab ride here for the same $7 cab ride in other parts of the country.

Things aren't always black and white. But that said..again, reasearch is always important prior to travel and the T is an excellent option. I have save a lot of money in transportation costs at other ports due to the kind people on this board.

Our city was set up long before cruise ships decided to use it as a vacation destination so I wouldn't call it poor planning. They put a pier in an area that was available. Boston is a compact city and the rest of the area on the coast is already built up. If you bought the $7.50 all day T pass you would pay that for indefinite amounts of travel for an entire day! The T is very easy to get around and I have put a map up on this site numerous times to show the stops in conjunction with the sites/activities at or near those stops. The silver line starts at the port. Doing a little research helps and there is reasonable transportation for a variety of budgets. The cabs are always expensive in a big city. Those 3 lousy miles you speak of can take up to a half hour of travel during rush hour. Those prices are normal around here. The Northeast is expensive. An example is the MA minimum wage is $7.50 an hour and soon to be $8.00 in January. The federal is $5.85. We pay $10 for a cab ride here for the same $7 cab ride in other parts of the country.

Things aren't always black and white. But that said..again, reasearch is always important prior to travel and the T is an excellent option. I have save a lot of money in transportation costs at other ports due to the kind people on this board.

Well Said RedSoxFan11!

I see you were on the Legend in June, I'm going on her in October and hope to catch a game (or 2) on her this October :D

Well Said RedSoxFan11!

I see you were on the Legend in June, I'm going on her in October and hope to catch a game (or 2) on her this October :D

Thanks:) DD and I are thinking of going on her again as well in the spring for her 21st birthday. I went alone with DH in June. I am watching the game right now 3-0... our guys.;)

Hi, all

I read all the comments and...people never cease to amaze me.

Can anyone give any more information about the Cheers bars?

So, true PKB! There are 2 Cheers. The one in Faneuil Hall is just a satellite. The real one is at 84 Beacon St in Boston, The Bull and Funch Pub. It only looks like Cheers on the outside. It is nothing like the TV show inside. It's an okay bar but lots of people are disappointed when they go in and find it's not what they expected. It is thought of by many as a tourist trap. Lot's of wait time for a table and the food is not inexpensive and it is too small and crowded. When I bring friends around the city it is a definite photo op then we go eat and have a drink elsewhere. In all honesty I would take a picture and explore other places.

Here are the T directions

By Subway

Green Line (Inbound)- Get off at "Arlington Street" station, walk through the Public Garden to Beacon Street, we are located on 84 Beacon Street.

Green Line (Outbound) - Get off at "Park Street" station, walk through the Boston Common to Charles and Beacon Street, we are located on 84 Beacon Street.

Red Line - Get off at "Charles Street/MGH" station. Walk down Charles Street (five blocks) through historic Beacon Hill to Beacon Street, turn right and we are one block down on the right. All three stops are about a five minute walk to us.

Redsoxfan or any other Bostonian,

We will be in Boston on 9/16/07 ( a Sunday). We want to see Paul Revere's house and have a pastry at Mike's Pastry shop. We arrive in Boston at 2pm. I know Paul Revere's house closes at 4:15pm. My question is if you wanted to see Paul Revere's house and did not have that much time to get there, would you take a taxi to his house OR would you take the Silverline to ??. Help me out here...I would love to take the Silver line and connect to the ( which color is it that gets me close to Paul Revere's house?) as I have never been on a subway before. But we can take a cab if too much time will be spent in getting to Paul Revere's house. Is his house even open on Sundays? If not we still want to go to the Northend and Mike's Pastry ( of course see the other sites too!) From Paul Reveres house, is Fanueil Hall easy to get to? I would like a Boston souvenir and thought maybe I could get one there.

Thanks for any help. ( I have studied the maps for the T, but am still confused!)

Archived