Which cruise had an accident off the coast of Brazil?

Handsome1975

I don't believe the Prinsendam had glass blown in (as in windows) that needed repair. They did have plenty of broken (drinking) glass and dishes that needed replacements flown in.

There are other ships also doing that itineary this month, maybe you're thinking of one of them?

The Prinsendam did not suffer any external damage whilst down in the Drake Passage but did suffer as Mary Ellen has mentioned, broken crockery and glasswear in the dining room. Quite a few passengers did need medical attention and it did return to Ushuaia for both medical reasons and also to get more supplies.

The ship that ran aground was a Norwegian ship called the "Nordkapp" with over 300 passengers on board. It ran aground near Deception Island during the same storm that the Prinsendam was in and the passengers were taken off by its sister ship called the "Nordnorge".

Hope this sets you straight.

Jennie

Both the Nordkapp's (Antarctica) and the Prinsendam's (off the southern tip of South America going to Antarctica) 'adventures' were NO where near Brazil. Same hemisphere - yes, but 1000's of miles from Brazil. Neither one fits: "The glass blew in and the ship had to be fixed in port". One did have broken glass and the other will need external repairs. So unless there was a third recent mishap, it sounds like what you heard was as if the 2 stories were thrown in a blender and a 'touch of Brazil' was added to the mix.

We were on the Infinity[Feb] when we hit a patch of bad weather and the Captain announced he was heading for protected waters,it was about 6.15pm and we were in the main dining room when the ship suddenly lurched to the starboard side.Some people fell off their chairs including me,and suffered minor injuries.I had a few cuts and bruises probably due to all the tables contents falling on top of me.Extra staff were brought in to sweep up all the broken plates and glasses in the dining room.This incident only lasted a minute or so but caused on lot of damage around the ship.Our evening meal was served by our waiter with a big smile on his face and all passengers made the most of a bad situation.I understand that second sitting had a limited choice of food as food in the kitchens went flying.This happened on our way to Punta Arenas.The next port of call was Ushuaia,and on arrival there were 3 other ships in port,the Saga Rose,Prinsendam and one from the Chrystal Line whose name escapes me.Our Captain announced that 2 ships coming in the opposite direction had damage to their life boats and 42 people with serious injuries,and because of this were unable to continue with their cruises.The Captain did not give the names of these ships but the opinion was that it was the Saga Rose and the Prinsendam as they should not have been in that port on that day.

Celebrity gave free medical attention to all those with injuries.This incident

did not prevent us from having a fantastic cruise.We visited every port that was scheduled and the weather was good all the way except for this one incident.

• 1 month later...

A few years ago Hapag Lloyd´s MS Bremen or MS Columbus was hit by a tsunami off the coast of Argentina as far as I remember. The windows from the bridge got smashed and the vessel was without any power for 1 or 2 days. Maybe that´s what you are refering to. The vessel is still operating by the way. Nobody died. Ship and cruiseline are one of the best in the world!

Archived