any other suggestions. It seems, from other posts, if you take the

ship's excursions that are offered you are pretty much guaranteed

to be happy.

Also... where do you rent mask/fins and snorkels. I was on a Windjammer

some 17 yrs ago and we rented them at the beginning of the cruise

and then turned them in at the end.

thank you!!

very inexperienced traveler:cool::cool:

Can answer a small part of your question. On Regent, use of mask, snorkel, and fins is provided at no extra charge. This is true whether you take an excursion through the ship, or go on your own. I'll have to leave your questions about excursions in these locations to others. I lack current information.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi -- we'll be on the Navigator for the March 28th Western Carribean cruise. One of the first things I did after booking the cruise was search the ports to see how many other ships would be docked at the same time. The day we dock in Cozumel, there will be 4 other ships (quite large ones) so a concern became how crowded the excursions (and the water at popular sites) would be.

After a lot of research, I found Eagle Ray Divers (e-mail eagleraydrivers.com). They only take groups up to 15 and do not take you to any location that looks like a "K-Mart parking lot":-) They are quite highly recommended. You may want to check to them out.

In terms of Key West, we did book an afternoon snorkeling tour through the ship. This is our third Regent cruise -- I did have a problem with an excursion booked through the ship in Tahiti (they insisted on going out in very stormy weather -- a couple of people were bruised from the bumpy seas -- they gave up after finding another tiny boat that was sinking ... finally they offered a refund):confused: Excursions booked through the ship also tend to be more crowded. To my knowledge, the people booking tours on Regent ships are not Regent employees so their attitudes are not always great.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi -- we'll be on the Navigator for the March 28th Western Carribean cruise.

We will be on March 23. The only thing about this is that

we don't know anything about booking excursions because

it is run by the grocery store. I might try to contact

Regent and see if they have any info for our trip.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out!! How do

you look to see if other boats are in port at the same time??

:confused:

cruisecal.com shows where and when ships are docked all over the world (it stands for cruise calendar). I went to the website and searched the ports we'll be at on certain dates and found the information. As I mentioned, the worst (in terms of too many ships and people) was Cozumel).

Also, go into Regent's website (rssc.com) -- although your cruise may be slightly different than others since the ship is chartered, you can look at other Navigator cruises in the Carribean and check out the excursions. For instance, you're going to Cozumel and Key West - both of those ports are on the March 28th cruise. Hope this is making sense:confused: I just find it easier to read about the excursions on the web rather than calling. . .

cruisecal.com shows where and when ships are docked all over the world (it stands for cruise calendar). I went to the website and searched the ports we'll be at on certain dates and found the information. As I mentioned, the worst (in terms of too many ships and people) was Cozumel).

Also, go into Regent's website (rssc.com) -- although your cruise may be slightly different than others since the ship is chartered, you can look at other Navigator cruises in the Carribean and check out the excursions. For instance, you're going to Cozumel and Key West - both of those ports are on the March 28th cruise. Hope this is making sense:confused: I just find it easier to read about the excursions on the web rather than calling. . .

cruisecal.com

Also, go into Regent's website (rssc.com) -- although your cruise may be slightly different than others since the ship is chartered, you can look at other Navigator cruises in the Carribean and check out the excursions. For instance, you're going to Cozumel and Key West - both of those ports are on the March

thank you!!

it makes perfect sense and I will check both of those out

I will look at your cruise time and see what is offered

GREAT advice!!:D:D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on this chartered Navigator cruise, too, departing March 23 -- looks as though the excursions are just about identical to what Regent typically offers at those ports.

Does anybody know if chartered cruises like this one differ in any way from the usual, scheduled cruises? (In terms of entertainment, what's included/what's not, other policies.) I know the dress code appears a little different -- dress code is "business casual," no formal nights, etc. Thanks.

I did get it today - it's a pretty good lineup, I think:

Key West:

- Discover Key West

- Eco-Kayaking Adventure

- Fury Catamaran Glass Bottom Boat

- Fury Catamaran Sail & Snorkel

- Key West Aquarium & Butterfly Conservatory

- Light Tackle Fishing

- Orchids & Hidden Gardens Tour

- Parasailing Key West

- President Truman's Key West

- Ghosts & Legends of Key West

Cozumel:

- Atlantis Submarine Expedition to Chankanaab

- Captain's Certified Dive

- Clear Kayak & Beach Break

- Cozumel Beach Break

- Cozumel Jungle Hike

- Discover Mexico

- Discover SCUBA

- Dune Buggy & Beach Snorkel

- Hideaway Power Boat & Beach Escape

- Jungle ATV Adventure

- Mexican Cuisine Workshop (but unsure if this will really be offered - it's listed but there's no description of it)

- Palancar Reef Snorkel

- San Gerasio & Chankanaab Lagoon

- Tequila Tasting

GSC:

no excursions, but a private beach party and BBQ "where delicious Harris Teeter Reserve Angus Beef steaks and all the fixins' await you!"

Looks like there also might be a private party sponsored by HT in Cozumel that Sunday night from 6pm-8pm.

We've never been on a cruise before, so needless to say we're pretty excited. Been waiting for this packet for WEEKS. Hope yours comes soon!

I did get it today - it's a pretty good lineup, I think:

Key West:

- Discover Key West

- Eco-Kayaking Adventure

- Fury Catamaran Glass Bottom Boat

- Fury Catamaran Sail & Snorkel

- Key West Aquarium & Butterfly Conservatory

- Light Tackle Fishing

- Orchids & Hidden Gardens Tour

- Parasailing Key West

- President Truman's Key West

- Ghosts & Legends of Key West

Cozumel:

- Atlantis Submarine Expedition to Chankanaab

- Captain's Certified Dive

- Clear Kayak & Beach Break

- Cozumel Beach Break

- Cozumel Jungle Hike

- Discover Mexico

- Discover SCUBA

- Dune Buggy & Beach Snorkel

- Hideaway Power Boat & Beach Escape

- Jungle ATV Adventure

- Mexican Cuisine Workshop (but unsure if this will really be offered - it's listed but there's no description of it)

- Palancar Reef Snorkel

- San Gerasio & Chankanaab Lagoon

- Tequila Tasting

GSC:

no excursions, but a private beach party and BBQ "where delicious Harris Teeter Reserve Angus Beef steaks and all the fixins' await you!"

Looks like there also might be a private party sponsored by HT in Cozumel that Sunday night from 6pm-8pm.

We've never been on a cruise before, so needless to say we're pretty excited. Been waiting for this packet for WEEKS. Hope yours comes soon!

This does look GREAT!! I expect my packet today, it was sent overnight

fedex yesterday.

My hubby and I went on a Windjammer almost 17 yrs ago for our

honeymoon but that is all of my experience.

We are flying out of the RDU area, what about you?

The island BBQ sounds like lots of fun, we did that in the WJ with

a little island that was shaped like an hourglass and you could take

maybe 30 steps in the middle of it to get from one side to the other.

Hey!! I just got it, will look over it now!!

OH:cool::):D

We're flying out of Charlotte on a charter flight on that Friday morning.

We have small kids, so we had to line up babysitters and relatives to cover us for a few days, and we're really looking forward to it. My wife is a little worried about seasickness, but she got a prescription patch to wear. I'm not too worried about that.

Trying to decide on excursions. We've been to Key West before, and that place is great. Might just walk around there. I went to Cozumel once with my family when I was a teenager - don't remember a lot about it. We probably will do something a little more active than lying on a beach, since it looks like Monday and Tuesday will have a lot of down time.

I need to remember to make dinner reservations at the Italian restaurant on board once we get on the ship. I'll bet that fills up.

Other than that, just looking forward to some sun and relaxation!

Hi Oliverhazard:

Key West is easy walking to Duval St. and Hemingway's house. This is easily done on your own. As far as Cozumel, especially when other ships are in, the town/mall is a crowded mess. Take a short cab ride South from the docks to Chankanaab Park. Beautiful place. Food and drink available in beach palapa bars. Showers and beach chairs available. Dont forget mask and flippers as the snorkeling just off the beach is great, even for an amateur like me. Also, if interested, they have the swim with the dolphins there. Plenty of walking trails through the nature areas too.

All the best.

Jim.

Hubwriter,

We also have small kids, well, 9 and 11 yr boys. This is the first time

we have really left them without one of us being there. We have

my mom lined up but I know I will be worried!! I am trying to work

out the cell phone problems now. What are you guys doing about

that? I was looking at a few of the "calmer" excursions. I figure

I will be in the sun a lot anyway and I am an Irish pale girl.

I was looking at Discover Key West

Aquarium and Butterfly Cons.

Orchids and Hidden Gardens

or President Truman

for Cozumel

Atlantis Submarine

Dune Buggy

Power Boat

and Jim for your suggestion!!

Probably going to do the Chankanaab Lagoon

I did read about the Lagoon area and it sounds really nice.

Hubwriter, did you fax in your forms for the excurisions in yet?

Is your wife as excited as you? My husband is probably looking

forward to it more, if I didn't have my separation anxieties I would

be "whole hog"!!

OH

Oliverhazard,

My wife is pretty fired up about this cruise, too. We're just starting to look at the communications stuff. I don't think our cell phones are advanced enough to work on board, and even if they did, they'd be expensive. We'll probably just call when we're in port using locally bought calling cards. Doubtful that GSC would have phones, though, right? A friend told my wife that we should take walkie-talkies to communicate with each other if, say, we split up and need to communicate. That strikes me as unnecessary, but we'll see.

We have not faxed in the excursion reservations, but probably will later this week once we make up our minds. Leaning toward the jungle hike in Cozumel, since I'm anticipating most of the rest of the time will be spent a) eating, b) lying at the pool or beach or c) both. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but we're thinking it would be good to be a little active. Also looking at dune buggy. Jim's recommendation sounds cool, too. I'll look into that.

In Key West, might just walk around Duval St. and not do an excursion. I personally would like to parasail - never done that before - but I don't think my wife is up for that. If I recall right there are plenty of little shops and conch fritter bars and Margaritaville.

It looks to me from cruisecal.com that there are no other ships scheduled to be in port on the days we're in port, which is good. Then again, there could be charters (like ours) that aren't listed.

Hubwriter

That is SO funny!! My husband said parasailing right off the bat also!

He was like "we can do the butterflies..." funny. We are considering

the Jungle Hike also. I wanted to do an excursion in both cities

because we will be at sea the one day and anchored for the cookout

the other. I am always concerned that I will wimp out and be tired

but I will probably have more energy than any day of the year!!

We have Verizion and are thinking about adding the international

plan which we can use in some parts of Cozumel, getting an

international calling card or Tracfone. Not sure yet for us.

Walkie talkies? That is very interesting. I got my one son

Chat-Nows for xmas, hmmmm.

I also looked at cruisecal.com after someone recommended it on

this board and did not see any other boats. I am sure there will

be others!

We arrive in to FL about 12 noon, what about you guys. Wonder

what we will do for those couple of hours......

Have you seen this

http://www.cruisereviews.com/RadissonSevenSeasCruises/SevenSeasNavigator3.htm

http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/CozumelChankanaab.htm

by Tom Ogg

nice pictures

OH:cool:

;) Hi -- you do sound excited about this trip -- good to hear! I don't know when you'll be in Cozumel -- you had a good point that some ships probably not on the list. I tried to copy and paste the listing from cruisecal.com but it didn't work on this site. Anyway, unless you're there on the 25th, you'll have plenty of company (we'll be there on the 30th with thousands of other people!)

Anyway, unless you're there on the 25th, you'll have plenty of company

Hey Travel Cat,

We are actually there in Cozumel on the 25th!! So maybe it won't

be that busy. I know I am getting excited! I was just looking at

your trip, no formal nights. How do you feel about that? We actually

don't have any formals and have business casual the whole time. Kinda

easy now figuring out what to take.

What are you planning to do in Cozumel? What about Key West?

Is this your first... fifth...? You guys here are so experienced and

know SO much!! Any suggestions for us newbies???:rolleyes:

I have Cingular - talked to them today, and they said my (lame) phone should work on the ship. $2.49 a minute for making or receiving calls, which is pretty steep. From Mexico, it would be $0.99 a minute. Probably the cheapest bet in Mexico is to just get a calling card there and use a pay phone or whatever. But at sea Monday and at that small island Tuesday, options for calling the kids will be limited (and expensive).

Re: Cozumel excursion, I think we're now leaning toward the dune buggy/snorkeling one. In Key West, we might just rent some bikes at a place on Duval St. We did that last time we were there and liked it -- let you see a little bit of the place and get some exercise. If anyone out there has other good ideas, please share.

Do you know how close the airport (Ft. Lauterdale) is to Port Canaveral?

LOL Lame phones we all have!! So you can buy the phone cards

there? That does sound like a good idea. I guess calling the

last two days will be expensive but... worth it in the long run,

especially for us neurotic moms.

We have decided Key West Fury Catamaran Sail and Snorkle

Cozumel leaning towards Atlantis Submarine. Sure you saw

my question about the sub.

FLL to Port Canaveral

197 mi (about 2 hours 59 mins)dd-panel-shadow-tr-wh.pngdd-panel-shadow-bl-wh.png

transparent.png1.Head west on Terminal Dr0.5 mi3 mins

transparent.png2.Merge onto N Federal Hwy/US-1 S via the US-1 S ramp to Dania Beach/Hollywood0.6 mi1 min

3.Slight right at Griffin Rd1.3 mi2 mins

4.Turn right to merge onto I-95 N toward W Palm Beach182 mi2 hours 38 mins

5.Merge onto SR-528 E via exit 205 to Canaveral/Cape-Port-A.F.S.12.3 mi13 mins

6.Continue on Astronaut Blvd/SR-A1A S0.3 mitransparent.png

7.Take the George J King Blvd exit0.2 mi

8.Turn left at George J King Blvd0.2 mi1 min

TO:

Port Canaveral

Cape Canaveral, FL

OK... now my husband wants to think about doing the bikes

in Key West...

thought we had it all decided but now.....

Still enjoy reading about your upcoming trip. Yes -- it's a good thing to be in port without other ships! It should make everything easier for you.

This is our third Regent cruise -- the first was on the Paul Gauguin to Tahiti in 2005 - then on the Baltic cruise in August 2006. We had one experience on a typical large cruise ship many years ago and got so tired of being forced to sit at a particular table at a particular time. Being nickled and dimed constantly for drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) was also tiresome. Cabins were so tiny that it one person almost had to get up on the bed to let the other pass.

Then there is Regent . . . their regular cabins are larger than some penthouses on other cruises. The ships are dramatically smaller. The service is wonderful and it's all-inclusive (great food too). As you probably know, you can sit wherever you want and with as many people as you want. You may decide to meet people at lunchtime and sit at a large table and then decide to have an intimate dinner for two in the evening -- always your choice.

If you are in a balcony cabin, room service for breakfast is fun (could be fun even without a balcony). We tend to order way too much food the first morning and then aren't hungry at lunch -- it's a lot of fun to experiment.

In terms of excursions, we tend to go with private shore excursions rather than the ship excursions (although we have done both). The ship excursions are a bit more crowded and more expensive. On the other hand, you have to really check out the local companies (easily done by checking these boards in the "port" section). We're doing a snorkel tour (very small boat -- limits guests to 15) in Cozumel and are doing the ship's 3 hour snorkel tour in Key West (we have been there before).

As soon as you return, we leave (actually, we fly from the west coast on the 27th -- spend the night in Ft. Lauderdale -- the cruise begins the 28th). I'm looking forward to crusing on the Navigator because of its size. Have also heard that their captain is relatively new and really makes himself available to guests. Please write a review when you get back so we can all read about it.

Do you know your cabin number yet? Any questions, give post them -- I check the boards a couple of times a day.:o

Just booked our dune buggy/snorkel excursion for Cozumel via the Web site. Very easy to do. The reviews on the Cozumel port board were very positive, and I think it will be a nice, active thing to do, though it sounds like a lot of these resorts would be great, too. I think in Key West, we're just going to rent bikes on our own. We've done that before and had a good time, and it will be good exercise before a lunch of conch fritters (since our time in port is 8am - 2pm).

Travelcat2, thanks for the insight on the ship.

Oliverhazard, thanks for the connection info and links to the ship photos - those are great.

One tip about using the RSSC web site: it also lets you prebook dinner reservations at Portofino Restaurant (limits you to prebooking one night only). This is listed as a "new" feature of that site, for those of you who have used it before. That might come in handy, especially on a 5-night cruise like ours where everyone's going to be clamoring to get in there.

One tip about using the RSSC web site:

Hubwriter,

I tried to pull up the reservation but the booking number

or res. number I have is 7 digits and 1 letter, not the

6 digits they ask for. So... I could not book the rest.

at all. I am also curious how many people will even

know about making reservations. Are we the only

two that have found this site? I have learned SO

much from all of these people.

I did fax in my excursions and we went with the

catamaran/snorkel in Key West and the

Atlantis sub in Cozumel.

Travel Cat,

You have provided so much good information! I think

the next time I go I will look at sites to look for

excursions. This time I will be wimpy and not look

to far outside of the box!!

:cool::cool: Getting ready!! :cool::cool:

Oliverhazard,

I just entered the 7 numbers (without the letter) and it worked -- pulled up our reservation, though I was confused that it was asking for a 6-digit number.

It's true that probably not many people will know about making reservations, but the numbers are going to be kinda tight. We got 5 nights. One of those nights, there's a private function at the Italian restaurant. That leaves 4 nights to dine there, and it seats only 80. So assuming everyone eats there only once, that's only 320 people who can eat there out of 490 on the ship.

I didn't want to take any chances on being one of the unlucky 170, though I'm sure the Compass Rose is great.

You are the bomb Hubwriter!! I am very impressed

with you figuring that out. The private function

sounds "very interesting". I got my reservations

in, not on the sea night just in case I get a little

seasick!!

I do feel bad for those others that won't be able

to experience but as you say... from what all these

people say, the Compass Rose is also good!!

Also Richard... if you read this... thank you for the info

on the mask/fins/snorkels in case I did not thank you

up to this point!!

We are almost down to a week countdown!!:):)

Archived