Statue of Liberty - Explorer

39august

The Explorer out of Bayonne/Cape Liberty won't pass by the Statue. It will be far off to the left side as you sail away. (Cape Liberty is a little south of the Statue, and the NY City port is a little north of her. If you were going out of NYC you would pass by her)

I've cut and pasted a post that I made on the "all things explorer" thread...maybe it will be of help to you:

You'll be able to see her but not close.

If you would like to see her upclose, the exit for Liberty State Park is right there, just past the exit for Cape Liberty. If you're driving, just pass the exit for Bayonne/Cape Liberty and then follow the sign to the Park. You'll exit and bear left (follow signs). You can park your car and grab the ferry to the Statue. It runs continuously. Once there you will go through a security line, purses are scanned, and you will be "poofed" with air (to check if you had exposure to any explosives. You'll go into the base, take an elevator up about 7 flights, and be at her toes. You can look up through glass ceiling panels to see her framework. When I was a kid we use to go all the way up to the crown but security changed as you know.

The exits are so CLOSE together, it's a shame not to ferry over and see her. Have fun.

p.s. Although the exits are close (exit A and exit B) and the statue is far away when sailing, is that once you exit for the ship you go down a long road and highway to the ship...(I think it's south, but not sure)

and once you exit for the statue, you go up a long road towards north and bear to the left to the ferry parking lots.

~~~~~~~32 cruises & counting~~~~~~~

Fyi - I Emailed Rccl Some Time Ago When We Were Sailing The Voyager Out Of Bayonne, Requesting A "Sail By" Of The Statue Of Liberty, Pointing Out That All The Cruisers Not From The NYC Area Would Love To See It Up Close.

Seems Like That Would Be A No Brainer - But Rccl Said It Was Not In Their Plans, ie: They Won't Make Any Money Doing This So Why Bother?

Fyi - I Emailed Rccl Some Time Ago When We Were Sailing The Voyager Out Of Bayonne, Requesting A "Sail By" Of The Statue Of Liberty, Pointing Out That All The Cruisers Not From The NYC Area Would Love To See It Up Close.

Seems Like That Would Be A No Brainer - But Rccl Said It Was Not In Their Plans, ie: They Won't Make Any Money Doing This So Why Bother?

This area is a major waterway with lots of traffic and something the size of the Explorer can not just go on a joyride to show people the Statue of Liberty.

Archived