Seattle or Vancover??

Hogladyrider

Looking for feedback on why departure for Alaskan cruise would be better from Seattle or Vancouver.

We would be making our own airfare arrangements and more than likely flying into Seattle and if we departed from Vancouver get a transfer from Seattle.

Starting to plan for Alaska 2008 cruise which will be our 1st time in Alaska but definitely not our last.

So fire away with all the great input I'm ready and waiting.:D

others will tell you the views are better from vancouver the moment the ship leaves port.

all i can say is the ease of leaving from seattle, with no transfers, was a highlight of our trip. we landed, caught a taxi and was on the ship less then an 1 1/2 hours of landing in seattle (had to wait for some family to pack their cars, they live there) we had scenery that afternoon cruising out of seattle, open sea at night and back into scenery by 11am the next morning. could not have been simplier.

Not sure what cruise line you were on but...

We were on HAL out of Seattle. We had scenery leaving Seattle for Saturday afternoon. Saturday evening and all day Sunday we were at sea. Did not get back into scenery until around 6 am Monday morning.

We were on Carnival Spirit leaving out of Vancouver. We had georgeous scenery from start to finish.

We too flew into Seattle to save airfare. We spent a few days in Seattle and loved the city! Then we took Amtrak to Vancouver and it was one of the hilites of our trip!

I HIGHLY recommend sailing out of Vancouver.

We are trying to get the same information too. We were thinking of leaving from Seattle since the airfare is cheaper but heard the water is rougher leaving from Seattle and alot of people on my friend's ship were seasick. I think we will pay the extra airfare and leave from Vancouver just alone for that reason since I have the tendency to get seasick.

Overall, it is far more scenic to sail out of Vancouver. BUT if you are considering this ONLY for less potential for seasickness- you are greatly mistaken. IF prone, it can happen on ANY Alaska sailing, and you would be best to be very prepared.

It's an easy transfer between Seattle and Vancouver, if need be.

others will tell you the views are better from vancouver the moment the ship leaves port.

all i can say is the ease of leaving from seattle, with no transfers, was a highlight of our trip. we landed, caught a taxi and was on the ship less then an 1 1/2 hours of landing in seattle (had to wait for some family to pack their cars, they live there) we had scenery that afternoon cruising out of seattle, open sea at night and back into scenery by 11am the next morning. could not have been simplier.

Hello, new here but have cruised several times, we are going to cruise to Alaska and I have so many questions because I don't know much about Alaska. Please tell me why I would not want o fly into Vancouver verses Seattle? Do you know how much it would be to get to Vancouver? We are looking at a 14 night Alaska cruise with RC. Yes or no in your opinion?

Thank you and this is a start.

when we first start looking, it was the cost. from our home airport, seattle was much, much cheaper. we were only looking at flying in the same day as the cruise, didn't have time for any tranfers to vancouver.

we flew in at noon, on the ship by 2pm...ship left on time at 4pm. didn't have the vacation time to come in a day early.

if you find better airfare to seattle, but still want to sail out of vancouver..(according to others) there are several ways to go. car rentals, bus tranfers or the train. many do fly into vancouver, it just didn't work for us on that trip. but you need to plan some extra time for the trip up to vancouver.

for anyone planning to NOT leave from seattle, because of rough seas...

i hope you are still going to have your meds, it can get rough on any ship, from any port.

Thank you for your info, I hope you don't mind more questions?

We are having a hard time deciding what cruise line, how long, where to go.

We want to see the inside passage, I just found out today there is not an outside passage which I thought I read there was. If you had the time would you look at the RC 14 night Ultimate Alaska cruise? If you have been there or anyone else do any of you think this would be a nice vacation and actually give us the ports that we should see and give all that we need to see while in Alaska? If more needs to be added please share that with me.

Thank you

Thank you for your info, I hope you don't mind more questions?

We are having a hard time deciding what cruise line, how long, where to go.

We want to see the inside passage, I just found out today there is not an outside passage which I thought I read there was. If you had the time would you look at the RC 14 night Ultimate Alaska cruise? If you have been there or anyone else do any of you think this would be a nice vacation and actually give us the ports that we should see and give all that we need to see while in Alaska? If more needs to be added please share that with me.

Thank you

toyotaman, You could also consider a back to back to Alaska. You could even spend a few days on land in Alaska and sail back on a different cruise line. We have done a couple of b2b's in Alaska and loved them. Our favorite cruiseline in Alaska would be Princess. The one thing to be aware of if you are considering Celebrity is the possibility of propulsion problems on Celebrity M-class ships.

there are others you need to ask, like budget queen..the queen of all travels. she really knows her stuff (my idol). she knows the ships/excursions and especailly hints about denali. i do know that when i go back up to the mainland of alaska, i will be doing it on my own..no preset tours.

many people say that when you cruise out of seattle you are not in the "passage". it was just discussed a few days ago on these boards (do a search you might be able to find it). juneau, skagway, ketchikan (and other port towns) are on the mainland side of the inside passage it is not possible to get to them without cruising IN the passage. google a map of the area and you will see. we left seattle at 4pm on a sunday, had great views of the sound as we were leaving. in open waters that night (as i was sleeping). by 11am ,monday, i was taking pictures of the islands on the port side (east). had great views all the way to juneau on tuesday afternoon. even saw a couple of small whales, maybe pilot whales.

not to say leaving from vancouver doesn't give you views sooner, but for those who want to leave from seattle...it does have views and you are cruising the inside passage.

best advice anyone can give you..do your research. make a copy of the ship/tour's excursions. google the different areas and match them with what you want to do. make a list..hiking? fishing? bears? whales? glacier?

figure out what is important to you. my love of whales may not appeal to you. don't forget to list your budget. then go through what the ship offers and see if that is what you want. there are no bad cruises, especially to someplace as beautiful as alaska.

this link shows the route i took (on another NCL ship)

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/destination/itineraries.html?destinationCode=ALASKA&subDestinationCode=ALASKA.GLACIER_BAY

If you have 14 days, I would suggest a 7 day one way cruise and another week for interior Alaska touring. Gives an excellent varied look at Alaska that takes advantage of being all the way there. I personally, only like one way sailings that included College fjords, again, take advantage of the opportunity for this excellent glacier sailing. RCI and Celebrity skip it. I also give a big edge to Seward- a place not to be missed for Kenai fjords. But with time, you can get there from Whittier. Just factor into your routing.

With a week, I suggest Denali Park and Seward- at least, fill in a couple other days with your preferences, but 2 nights are a min. for Denali Park, and at least 1 full day in Seward. Plan your route carefully and factor in the vast transit times, don't underestimate distances. If you go with a cruisetour- be CERTAIN you understand EVERYTHING you are purchasing- do your homework and make sure it is what you think it is.

http://www.toursaver.com can offer significant discounts for independent travelers.

If you have 14 days, I would suggest a 7 day one way cruise and another week for interior Alaska touring. Gives an excellent varied look at Alaska that takes advantage of being all the way there. I personally, only like one way sailings that included College fjords, again, take advantage of the opportunity for this excellent glacier sailing. RCI and Celebrity skip it. I also give a big edge to Seward- a place not to be missed for Kenai fjords. But with time, you can get there from Whittier. Just factor into your routing.

With a week, I suggest Denali Park and Seward- at least, fill in a couple other days with your preferences, but 2 nights are a min. for Denali Park, and at least 1 full day in Seward. Plan your route carefully and factor in the vast transit times, don't underestimate distances. If you go with a cruisetour- be CERTAIN you understand EVERYTHING you are purchasing- do your homework and make sure it is what you think it is.

www.toursaver.com can offer significant discounts for independent travelers.

Thankyou Budgetqueen,

You are full of info and obviously very knowledgable about Alaska. I hope you don't mind me asking more questions. I am until we decide what we are going to do I will be filled with them. I noticed an e-mail address at the bottom of your post would you mind if I e-mailed you there?

Thank you

Archived