Princess Land Tour to Denali

skogler

We will be on a 4 day land tour to Mount McKinley and Denali. Does anyone have any recommendations for tours through Princess or privately booked.

Thanks,

Scott

If it were me, I would do it independently - more flexibility to your schedule and you can choose your own length of travel into Denali NP. Princess offers the Natural History Tour and the Tundra Wilderness Tour. The NHT is worthless - you can take a free shuttle bus almost as far. The TWT is OK but I prefer to go as far as possible into the park, i.e. Mile 86 to Wonder Lake. If you have four days you can easily get into the park a couple of days and make a stop either going or returning in Talkeetna, which is a neat town roughly half way between Anchorage and Denali.

I would strongly recommend renting a car since it is difficult at best to get around near Denali without one if you are independent.

At the very least, if you take the Princess tour, you can delete the NHT or Tundra tour for a credit and then, depending on your time, you can book your own shuttle tour for a lower price and more flexible schedule. There are several other threads in these forums that address this issue with details and recommendations.

Looks like they are already booked??? Without their own transportation they probably are better off with Princess tours from the lodges. I hope they realize- the McKinley Princess requires a 50 mile shuttle to Talkeetna- very worthwhile area to spend some time in, just be aware of your timing and don't make too many trips back and forth if you don't have to.

At Denali Park the visitor center is worth a look and perhaps some ranger programs can be added. Again be very aware of shuttle schedules for the lodge.

Even if you've already booked either the Natural History Tour or the Tundra Wilderness Tour with Princess (as part of a tourcruise), you can cancel those - and get a credit from Princess - and get a reservation for shuttle from the Denali Wilderness Access Center. We did that and saved quite a bit of money (on the order of $200 I think). Now we have reservations on the shuttle to Wonder Lake at a cost of $35/ticket, for a total savings of $130 or so.

Good luck!

BQ - usually when you post about the Denali tour buses, you indicate you advise any independent travelers to go to a minimum of Fish Creek, etc..... Is this because if you are booked on a cruisetour, it is difficult to get around without our own transportation? We are booked with Princess for a pre-cruise land tour which includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour, which I know is 10 miles less than your ideal distance. I would consider canceling and switching to the other buses (like Knoxville Sam), but would need step by step instructions on how to do this:rolleyes:

Once we are there, is it pretty straight forward on how to go about this without our own transportation? THX MUCH everyone for all your insights that allow all of us others to better plan our trips/tours!

BQ - usually when you post about the Denali tour buses, you indicate you advise any independent travelers to go to a minimum of Fish Creek, etc..... Is this because if you are booked on a cruisetour, it is difficult to get around without our own transportation? We are booked with Princess for a pre-cruise land tour which includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour, which I know is 10 miles less than your ideal distance. I would consider canceling and switching to the other buses (like Knoxville Sam), but would need step by step instructions on how to do this:rolleyes:

Once we are there, is it pretty straight forward on how to go about this without our own transportation? THX MUCH everyone for all your insights that allow all of us others to better plan our trips/tours!

If you are independent, no reason at all to take the tours. If you are on a cruisetour, you are somewhat limited by their schedule for arrival/departure times. If you have time, by all means cancel the TWT and book the shuttle bus on your own. Very easy. Go to www.reservedenali.com and click Reservations. For info on the various options for the shuttle bus you can also go to www.nps.gov/dena and find out more info about the park.

If you have time, I would book the shuttle to Wonder Lake if you are traveling on/after June 8th. You won't regret it, especially if Mt. McKinley is visible.

You need to request a refund of the TWT direct through Princess or whoever you booked your cruisetour through.

John

I am more of a go on your own kind of person and enjoy just renting a car in Anchorage and driving for a week. This allows you to pick and choose when and where you want to go. For the independent traveler there are also toursaver books available for sale, that can save you even more money when traveling on your own.

There can be significant problems for cruisetour people in Denali Park, the main one- transportation to/from the lodge. It has been posted here what shuttles to take to get back and forth to lodges, but it is definately superior to have your own transportation. Keep in mind- the Visitor Center and Transportation Center are 2 separate locations. shuttle buses require you to be in line 30 min. prior- you must take all your own food and drink with you. So It's not a good idea to schedule the first buses out, you probably won't have transportation for them. Probably 9am is about the earliest perhaps??

My opinion is, there is NO reason to pay triple the cost for the less distance. I always ONLY recommend the shuttle buses for independent travelers.

We are scheduled to be in Denali Sept 14 and 15 with Princess tour, staying at the princess lodge in Denali. We arrive by train and coach from Ancourage in the afternoon of the 14th and depart the morning of the 16th. We would like to cancel our Tundra Wilderness Tour with Princess and book the shuttle with the park and go to Wonder Lake, however when I go to the website www.reservedenali.com or www.nps.gov/dena it says that the shuttle bus is only available till September 13. Could you please help me out as far as what you would suggest? We are interested in taking a helicopter excursion in the afternoon of the 14th if weather permits and possibly going into the park and doing some hiking all day on the 15th. Is that reasonbly or even possible? Thanks for you help.:)

I've already cancelled our TWT through Princess CruiseTour and have booked shuttle for Wonder Lake through Denali/Aramark. Our shuttle leaves the WAC at 6:45 am. Are you saying that we have no way of getting to the WAC from the Denali Princess Lodge at 6:15 am to make our shuttle? If so, are there ANY taxis or other means of transportation from Denali Princess Lodge at that hour, or are we facing a 3 mile hike to get there?

A side question - wonder why Aramark says nothing about being in line 30 minutes before the shuttle?

Thanks,

Sam

A side question - wonder why Aramark says nothing about being in line 30 minutes before the shuttle?

The only reason to be in line that early is if you want a preferred seat on the bus - BQ likes the front row. Aramark mentions being there 15 minutes before scheduled departure time (at least that is what is printed on my tickets).

We are scheduled to be in Denali Sept 14 and 15 with Princess tour, staying at the princess lodge in Denali. We arrive by train and coach from Ancourage in the afternoon of the 14th and depart the morning of the 16th. We would like to cancel our Tundra Wilderness Tour with Princess and book the shuttle with the park and go to Wonder Lake, however when I go to the website www.reservedenali.com or www.nps.gov/dena it says that the shuttle bus is only available till September 13. Could you please help me out as far as what you would suggest? We are interested in taking a helicopter excursion in the afternoon of the 14th if weather permits and possibly going into the park and doing some hiking all day on the 15th. Is that reasonbly or even possible? Thanks for you help.:)

Sorry you are too late, the last shuttle runs 9-13. You have some choices to perhaps consider?? Switch to another sailing, or direction of your cruise?? Or, if your screen name is the direction you are sailing??? Get to Anchorage, earlier and in time to take the last shuttle on the 13th, by going on your own to Denali Park- simple to arrange and go on your own. Far superior too to get to Wonder Lake in the fall.

Only other option may be the lottery- IF going on your dates?? You would have to rent a car, but would offer you an excellent day.

I've already cancelled our TWT through Princess CruiseTour and have booked shuttle for Wonder Lake through Denali/Aramark. Our shuttle leaves the WAC at 6:45 am. Are you saying that we have no way of getting to the WAC from the Denali Princess Lodge at 6:15 am to make our shuttle? If so, are there ANY taxis or other means of transportation from Denali Princess Lodge at that hour, or are we facing a 3 mile hike to get there?

Thanks,

Sam

No there is no Princess shuttle that early. Taxis come and go, so I don't know if there will be any this season. I suggest you look at a car rental and reserve that now.

Denali Car Rental owned by third generation Alaskan family. Will pick-up at depot, drops in Anchorage and Fairbanks by arrangment. Contact us at http://www.alaskanchateau.com, call 907-683-1377, fax 907-683-1380..

Owner: Teresa Chepoda-Usibelli

P.O. Box 187

Healy, AK 99743

Phone: 1-907-683-1377

Fax: 1-907-683-1380

Email: Chepoda@mtaonline.net

Http:http://www.alaskanChateau.com

The only reason to be in line that early is if you want a preferred seat on the bus - BQ likes the front row. Aramark mentions being there 15 minutes before scheduled departure time (at least that is what is printed on my tickets).

I still suggest, getting in line 30 minutes prior. I've seen the whole left side of the bus fill, one seat after another by those early in line. Overall the left side gets most of the viewing it seems.

BQ, Thanks for the imput on the rental cars in Denali.

(www. alaskanchateau.com) I will email them and find out info for us. What are the road conditions like mid September? (ie. snow and ice).

If you win the lottery, you will only be able to drive as far as it is clear. There are no guardrails, etc.

Otherwise, ONLY the first 16 miles are open for public traffic.

We will be on a Princess Cruisetour in early June. I agree that going independently would give us a more flexible schedule, but there are 13 in our family group and having everything arranged seemed the best way to go for that many of us on this trip. We have reserved the shuttle to Toklat on the afternoon we arrive at Denali and will probably cancel the NHT that is scheduled for the next morning (this is still under discussion). We will also have one night at the Princess McKinley lodge. The princess lodges website lists tours that are available at their lodges. We are thinking about going horseback riding from the McKinley lodge. Have anyone done this? I haven't found on the web where we can reserve this in advance.

We will be on a Princess Cruisetour in early June. I agree that going independently would give us a more flexible schedule, but there are 13 in our family group and having everything arranged seemed the best way to go for that many of us on this trip. We have reserved the shuttle to Toklat on the afternoon we arrive at Denali and will probably cancel the NHT that is scheduled for the next morning (this is still under discussion). We will also have one night at the Princess McKinley lodge. The princess lodges website lists tours that are available at their lodges. We are thinking about going horseback riding from the McKinley lodge. Have anyone done this? I haven't found on the web where we can reserve this in advance.

Doing the Toklat shuttle is great. If it were me, I would definitely cancel the NHT. If nothing else, just take the free shuttle from the park entrance to the Savage River checkpoint, about 1 mile less than where the NHT goes. Otherwise your time is better spent near the park entrance - visitor center, films at the visitor and wilderness access centers, hiking near the park entrance, dogsled kennels. With that large of a group you might give them the options then say "everyone meet back at a certain point at a certain time."

I am more confused then ever about what to do at the lodges. We are on the cruisetour that spends two nights in Denali and one in McKinley. Princess scheduled the Tundra Tour at 6AM. Do I understand that there will not be transportation from the lodge to the transportation center at this time?? Why would they schedule a tour without transportation? Should I change the time to a later one?

Also, is it possible to book other tours before arriving at the lodges? In one news release Princess indicated that they would make lodge tours available online in 2007. To date, they don't appear to have done this.

Recommendations and suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!:confused:

I am more confused then ever about what to do at the lodges. We are on the cruisetour that spends two nights in Denali and one in McKinley. Princess scheduled the Tundra Tour at 6AM. Do I understand that there will not be transportation from the lodge to the transportation center at this time?? Why would they schedule a tour without transportation? Should I change the time to a later one?

Also, is it possible to book other tours before arriving at the lodges? In one news release Princess indicated that they would make lodge tours available online in 2007. To date, they don't appear to have done this.

Recommendations and suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!:confused:

If Princess is scheduling the Tundra tour at 6AM they will provide transportation. As far as scheduling other tours or excursions you can do it through Princess online at their website, or you can make plans amd reservations on your own. What kind of tours do you want to do? The site is down as I post this, but you can do it through the My Princess link I believe.

Archived