Landing in Mexico

sirdavid

I'm not sure about Costa Maya. When we went on the Oosterdam to the Mexican Riviera, the shore excursions couldn't have cared less about id. However, the port security people needed to see a photo id, not the ship id card, to let us into the port area to return to the ship. A driver's license was acceptable, although we had our passports.

The ship's security people needed to see the ship id to allow us back on board.

Every morning when the ship arrives in port, the CD will be on the speaker system advising you what ID you need to bring with you when going ashore. Listen to his instructions and follow them and you'll have no difficulty.

In the Caribbean (and Mexican ports we've been to), we only have to bring a government issued photo ID (drivers license for example) and our ships I.D. card.

Easy; no problem.

Some folks here have been speaking about bringing passports ashore given the new U.S. entry requirements when flying into the U.S. If we should have an emergency ashore and do not return to the ship before sailing, we need to have passports to fly home.

I take a driver's license with me just to go on a bicycle ride in my own neighborhood in case of an accident or other problem, and wouldn't even dream of getting off a ship in a foreign country without at least that form of ID!! :D (Even if the ship ID had my photo on it I don't think that would be sufficient.)

Archived