Statendam Alaska 2008 Question

hawgwildterry

The Statendam will be doing the Vancouver roundtrip Alaska cruise in 2008 (Saturday departure). Does anyone have any recent comments about the condition of the ship? For those that have done an Alaskan cruise, do you have a preference as to which side of the ship has the best views? We will be booking a Veranda stateroom at minimum and maybe spring for an ‘S’ suite. Again, any preference on stateroom number?

For those that may be thinking of Alaska in 2008, the Ryndam will be doing the Vancouver roundtrip Wednesday departure.

Thanks for any input you may provide.

Terry

Hello, neighbor:)

I don't have much to tell you, other than I don't think there's a "best" side of the ship, seems the scenery is great all the way around.......going North, you have land on starboard, going south, you have land to the port side, and when you're up at the glaciers or approaching ports of call, the scenery is fantastic on both sides:) "S" suites near the Neptune Lounge are my preference, simply because it's so easy to drop by there and sample the goodies, grab a cup of tea or coffee, or chat with the concierge.....

May you have a Bon Voyage to the Great Land!

Karin

Ask me again in 214 days! From what I've read the ship is showing her age a little, but aren't we all? As far as side: I don't think it would make very much difference on a round trip. But we're only in our cabin to sleep, shower, or change anyway! :)

We sailed on the Statedam this past Aug (Seward to Vancover)

We were in Cabin 009 (Cat S) - great spot (we thought!)

Ship was in tip top shape - did not notice any wear or tear

Would not hesitate to sail on her or any of the s or r class - we are booked on the maasdam this august - she was our first hal ship several yrs ago and holds wonderful memories

For those that have done an Alaskan cruise, do you have a preference as to which side of the ship has the best views?

Outside! :D (OK, you can smack me silly.) Seriously, don't give up the wide vistas of outside decks whenever possible. A balcony is nice, but not complete.

This is from a cave-dweller: Consider what's above you. If you're looking at suites one deck below the Lido you should consider directly below the restaurant portion (carpeted), or the beauty salon area. The suites directly below the pool area are subject to noise when the chairs are arranged early in the morning.

The Statendam will be doing the Vancouver roundtrip Alaska cruise in 2008 (Saturday departure). ... For those that may be thinking of Alaska in 2008, the Ryndam will be doing the Vancouver roundtrip Wednesday departure.....

Terry

Terry: This is very useful and interesting info - thank you - where did you get it? Nothing's listed yet that I can see on either the main HAL site or the advance itineraries site for TAs. Does your source for this info include itinerary details? Please do share what you know! Thanks.

This is very useful and interesting info - thank you - where did you get it? Nothing's listed yet that I can see on either the main HAL site or the advance itineraries site for TAs.

Check this chart for the general locations of all the ships, although not the detailed itineraries:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/dest/calendar.do

Here is a general rundown of what HAL ships are tentatively scheduled for Alaska in 2008. I will not post the actual cruise dates as that would take too long but I will say that the cruises start in May and end in September. Looking at the 2007 schedules it appears that the Alaska Glacier Discovery Cruises are 7 day one-way trips from Vancouver-Seward and Seward-Vancouver. The Alaska Glacier Bay Inside Passage Cruises are 7 day roundtrips from Vancouver. The Alaska Explorer Cruises are 7 day roundtrips from Seattle. The information that is available to me omits the cruising schedule for the ms Oosterdam. Given past history I would have to think that she will be doing the Alaska Explorer 7 Day Cruise out of Seattle……….but that’s only an assumption on my part.

ms Ryndam: Alaska Glacier Bay Inside Passage 7 Day Cruises

ms Statendam: Alaska Glacier Bay Inside Passage 7 Day Cruises

ms Veendam: Alaska Glacier Discovery 7 Day Cruises

ms Volendam: Alaska Glacier Discovery 7 Day Cruises

ms Westerdam: Alaska Explorer 7 Day Cruises

ms Zaandam: Alaska Glacier Discovery 7 Day Cruises

Please do not hold me responsible for any factual errors or omissions. It is only provided as “best knowledge” on my part. Other words…………..don’t blame me if HAL changes its schedule.:eek:

Archived