Passports taking longer than anticipated

LUCY55

Just a heads up. Applied for two passports-15 and 18 year old sons. Although one came in 6-weeks the other one is going to take about 9-weeks. Just because they say 6 weeks at application doesn't mean it won't take longer.

I think with the new travel rules that went into effect in January, you will see that it is taking longer to get passports since people who never needed them before now find that they have to have them to travel by air. My company recently required that anyone in the US or Canada who travels on company business must have a valid passport.

go to http://www.travel.state.gov & follow prompts to check online status. I applied on 1/5 & my expected time is due approx 2/28. However 2 of my adult children applied on 2/5 & it states that it has not bee processed yet. I am concerned now that they may not receive the passport before our Apr 7 sailing & the state also has their original birth certificate. I guess my Plan will be that I will need to go to county of their birth if I dont receive passport & get another original birth certificate to travel as I understand that we don't have to have the passport actually to cruise as we are leaving out of Florida. I tried, but now with everyone applying the time of receiving this is now at approx 8 weeks. Just heads up for others.

Cindy

DH pulled the kids passports out the safe last week for some unknown reason and looked at them and EEEK they expire in March and April 2008 and we are sailing September 2007 to Australia so I need to get them new ones (don't think they renew the kids) as they need to be valid for 6 months after our trip ends.:eek: :eek: :eek:

When we went to renew our little one's passport back in Sept. '05, the clerk at the post office said that timing is important. If you apply when it's a quiet time, you'll get 'em quicker (which happened to us in this case, just a few weeks and without paying any expedition fees) and if you go when everyone else is applying/renewing for an upcoming vacation, it takes longer. I guess the thing to do is check out your expirations every so often and put through the paperwork when needed, even if you don't have a cruise scheduled.

HI, JULIA,

Since our Sun cruise ends on 24 October, your children's passports need to be renewed because the rule is (and I am sure that YOU do know this):

"Passports must be valid for six months AFTER the end of the cruise (not the start of the cruise)".

So, for our cruise, that would be 28 April 2008. Better start the process now. My grandson finally got his 10-year pp. He turned 18 in December. :( The do grow up too fast.

You won't have to pay the extra dollars to expedite by applying now.

Cheers

Kathy's SiS :cool:

I got worried because I couldn't even pull up a record (on-line) as to the status of my one son's application. I had to call and after being on hold for close to 20 minutes I got a person. Apparently someone (I do not believe it was me) entered his SS# with a wrong digit. The last 4 digits of SS# is required to pull up the status of the application. By using the wrong number I can get the status of his application and an expected date of March 3. We applied December 28. Good thing the cruise isn't until March 24. Obviously they also have his original birth certificate.

Well for once, ,I can honestly say, thank your lucky stars your're not Canadain!

Our passport system is so clogged right now, that when I went to apply for passports for my kids, I arrived at 6 am, and was 98th in line. They can only do 200 applications a day apparently , so I waited in line , outside on the sidewalk , with 200 people for 6 and a half hours , before I even got up into the offices. I then waited another hour!

Paying the expediated fee, I still will not be able to pick up their passports till March 13th, we leave on March 17th. !

We have no other choice either, Canadains cannot travel with birth certificate into the Caribbean.

They say they can only handle about 1500 applications a day, but, ,are getting 2100, and the extra staff they hired still can't keep up as passports are processed by only one special print machine( like money) and it is already running 24 hrs a day!!!!!!!

My nerves are shot.

Oh, normally a passport takes 10 days for pick up, we will be at 35. By mail it is running 4 to 6 weeks, but media has reports of people waiting much longer.

It's been pretty much a given and general knowledge for over a year that when the new regulations went into effect, that there would be substantial delays of weeks, if not months. Even though people were given plenty of warning, most put it off or didn't think of it until it's almost too late. I'm not at all surprised that you're experiencing a delay. I would have expected it.

Pam we have an RV, and boat, so we camp and travel around our country with our three kids every summer for three weeks , plus assorted weekends. We have never taken the all our kids on a cruise , or overseas, because we could never afford five full airfares( there is no discounts for kids) and then two cabins , one double and one triple. This trip alone is as exspensive as our boat.

We only very recently came into a situation that gave us a small windfall, so I impulsively decided I wanted to take my kids cruising. Hubby and I have gone 4 times , 3 times without them, and once when we only had two ( over 14 yrs ago) we took the baby( no airfare) and a almost two yr old( again no airfare, and the cruise just charged us port charges for the baby) , who at that time you could just put on your passport, or use a birth certificate.

So there was no reason for me to think they needed passports. We don't go to the States as a family because your dollar is worth alot more then ours, and frankly , we have such a beautiful province with hundreds of great lakes for water sports, it would never make sense. We do not live on the mainland, we live on a island, so its not like we could just drive over the border for cheese or gas, LOL.

As I said, it was a windfall, and an impulsive desicion to do something we had never really done before.

Last time I got my passport it took me ten days.

I had no idea it was so messed up. No one realized how bad it would be, plus, panic has set in and people who aren't travelling until the fall are in those darn line ups too( they must be crazy , LOL )

We renewed our passports via mail on January 2 and received them back 42 days later. The website for the Dept of State indicated that they had them and later indicated that they were in the mail. We didn't need our passports until early May but my DH was really worried about not getting them back in time so we renewed early. Apologies to those of you who need them ASAP since we helped to slow down the system.

Here's the link.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

I've checked the status of our renewal online a few times. Originally it said March 3rd, next time March 4th. Now it says March 5th.

They apparently are overwhelmed at this point. I don't need mine until July, but I would suggest that on the application when it asks your expected date of travel, that you move that answer up by a month at least.

Archived