Questions for KiwiIan

traveler525

Hi

We booked a tour while in Auckland with a great tour company and I sent them an email to say thanks and that we had a great time. They emailed me back and one thing they asked was to let everyone know if they have asked a question that they are not able to answer at this time (kiwiian).

Debbie

He is ok he has just been asked not to post on here.

you can still contact him by email or through his website.

I am sure you have no worries about your tours.

He has been so helpful to me and we have not even booked anything with him.

karon

I'm assuming that he has been asked not to post since the company advertises on this board.

However, he has been a wealth of information and assistance. All transactions with him have been done by email so I fail to see the conflict of interest.

Too bad to lose someone who actually gave information rather than mean spirited commentary found in other areas of CC!

I am so sorry, I phrased my post wrong, he has been asked not to post. (I am not sure of all the rules here I am fairly new) In his case though I think it should be rescinded - he was very helpful with info for all, and as someone who had never been to New Zealand before, I used his info well. It is my choice whether to use a particular company or not.

No, you will have a great time in March on his tour! We went on 1/22 and it was a wonderful time. Everyone is determined to please and make sure that you enjoy yourself while in their care. And we certainly did!! I am jealous that your trip is ahead of you ! You will find it a wonderful time.

Debbie

What a shame! Ian has given a wealth of information which has been interesting and informative, and has NEVER seemed to tout for business. However, I will now contact his tour company when I'm ready to book my tours instead of via the ship. It was the useful information he gave - not tour involved - which will be extremely missed. I hope CC will reconsider.

What a shame! Ian has given a wealth of information which has been interesting and informative, and has NEVER seemed to tout for business. However, I will now contact his tour company when I'm ready to book my tours instead of via the ship. It was the useful information he gave - not tour involved - which will be extremely missed. I hope CC will reconsider.

Just wanted to add that I totally agree with your post! :)

I believe you may be the moderator of the AUS/NZD board. Can we have an explanation of KiwiIan's removal from the board?

We have all benefitted from his advice. While I did decide to join one of his excursions, it was based on the impression he made in helping me make arrangements that had nothing to do with his company. I have never seen him use the board inappropriately - he only offered to let us contact him off the boards if interested.

I would like to suggest that his removal be reconsidered. Thank you,

M. Ringenoldus

I believe you may be the moderator of the AUS/NZD board. Can we have an explanation of KiwiIan's removal from the board?

We have all benefitted from his advice. While I did decide to join one of his excursions, it was based on the impression he made in helping me make arrangements that had nothing to do with his company. I have never seen him use the board inappropriately - he only offered to let us contact him off the boards if interested.

M. Ringenoldus

M. Ringenoldus

We agree whole heartly. KiwiIan has been very helpful. Never pushy to book with them. He gives suggestions and let's you decide what to book and with whom. He's very helpful and we'd have been lost without his help for our cruise 3/12/07. I'm afraid other cruisers are going to be left out in the cold without his expertise. Please reconsider your removal of his ability to post. Ron & Barb

Well said, Ron and Barb! I know that I would never have gotten my husband his surprise fighter plane flight without his contacting the war plane museum for me.

Weird how people who snipe and criticize on these boards are allowed - and a perfectly pleasant and helpful poster is removed??????

• 6 months later...

Hi,

As Host for this board, I thought it might be helpful to point you to the link for Community Guidelines (see above) for the 'rules' related to Tour companies, etc. If you have concerns about the rules, please send them to the community@cruisecritic.com, since discussions about the rules is also not allowed in the guidelines.

Thanks - we all need to abide by the guidelines as members of this helpful site.

Thank you Sheila for your explanation. There was a previous post, however, sent by mringendoldus to the previous host, Laura, and I should have thought that this should have been passed on to community@cruisecritic.com. as it was inadvertently obviously passed to the wrong person. Although I undertstand the guidelines, it does seem that a lot of people in the future will have missed out on a lot of useful information that Ian was kind enough to provide. A great shame.

mringnoldus,

No intent to chastise at all...just wanted to remind all of us that the Guidelines are readily available. I refer to them all of the time before answering questions 'cause I can't seem to remember them all. For your original question, I found the tour operators section a helpful reminder. Hope this helps. :)

BTW, if you click on the ad for the company in question, there is a Contact Us link that can be used to ask your questions.

Ian was informative but not self-promoting.
I know that I'm treading on dangerous ground here myself, but I have to speak up and say that I don't agree with this. He was subtle, but he was deliberately and knowingly evading the rules. It's a great shame, because - as everyone has said - he also had a lot of genuine knowledge and information to contribute to CC. There are many TAs and tour operators on the CC forums who manage to do that without transgressing the guidelines.

Host Sheila, if this is inappropriate, please feel free to delete this post!

I own/run a forum that is significantly larger than cruise critic

The biggest etiquette rule on ANY forum is NEVER question an Admin decision ... EVER

I would have banned half a dozen people here just for questioning it.

So much goes on behind the scenes that regular users never see the real reason for the banning.

CC Admins .... keep up the good work

:)

Archived