Celebrity Secrets they usually don't tell you about

dmarch@islc.net

If you don't like something on board, use one of their comment forms right away, not just at the end of the cruise. Apparently, they are reviewed by someone with real power, because they take them real seriously. I wrote three minor peeves about Mercury. Within two days, I got a call that all had been rectified. Example: rusty spots in aft pool (they drained it, painted it, filled it up in one night). Example: jets in hot tub didn't bubble (they brought in pump part air freight, fixed in one day). I have never really seen customer comments get such such immediate response. If you have ever heard the story about the bedbug letter. it was like that, but true in this case. Last few cruises, the waiters (who had years of service) begged for good comments, with fear in their voices if they didn't get some. Unseemly, really, but it does show that guests have a real impact

BS

Hi Dave. I do not recall ever seeing a balcony from the glass elevators. I suppose it is possible, but you would really have to try! THe Sky Suites sre not next to the elevator on that side in any case. Those cabins are definitely in a quiet location.

Remember that the glass elevators are only on one side of the ship (that would be on the odd-numbered side). On the other side, you have the Celebrity Suites next door and they definitely can see on to your balcony. We had 6102 on our first cruise on Celebrity. Thank goodness, the people in the CS closed the curtain otherwise they could have looked right on to the balcony! I would avoid that one, but the other suites you listed are fine.

I was not particularly bothered by the lifeboats below since mostly I looked out rather than down. As for the balcony size, if they were smaller, it was not by much. With a few exceptions (noted in other posts), the Sky Suite balconies are not that large--room for a couple of chairs and a table.

Linda

Our first cruise is 12/4/05 on Infinity and we booked CC 8112. The other day I looked online and noticed they had upgraded us to Sky Suites 6131. I was excited, of course, but when I looked on the website I saw that we're next to the elevator. Since we've never done this before, I have no idea what to expect. Any advice is appreciated!:)

Our first cruise is 12/4/05 on Infinity and we booked CC 8112. The other day I looked online and noticed they had upgraded us to Sky Suites 6131. I was excited, of course, but when I looked on the website I saw that we're next to the elevator. Since we've never done this before, I have no idea what to expect. Any advice is appreciated!:)

Not to worry! :D That elevator near you is the aft elevator bank that is inside the ship, not a glass elevator on the side. You shouldn't have any noise problem, since there is a hall way for the cabins and a foyer type area where the elevators are located. Your cabin is flanked on both sides by other cabins. Congratulations on the upgrade!

Not to worry! :D That elevator near you is the aft elevator bank that is inside the ship, not a glass elevator on the side. You shouldn't have any noise problem, since there is a hall way for the cabins and a foyer type area where the elevators are located. Your cabin is flanked on both sides by other cabins. Congratulations on the upgrade!

Thank you so much for the info --- now I can look forward to that Sky Suite!:)

Great idea about finding the time on the bridge cam channel. Another time keeper is a clock sold by Brookstone that has a sensor light on the bottom of the clock so when you wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, you lift the clock and it lights your way. I just bought one and used it on a 2 week cruise. It was great!!!!

Thanks for all the tips on this thread. We sailing on our first Celebrity Cruise in December.

I have done a quick review of the 28 pages of this thread, and still have some questions about our Infinity cruise in January...

1. Are there enough electrical outlets in the room to handle hair dryers, curling irons, ect. at the same time? Another site (Princess) suggested to bring an outlet strip, which we did, and we didn't need it.

2. Breakfast - We like a quick breakfast with good selection and have found the buffets work for us. Having never been on a Celebrity cruise, would you say it's the same?

3. The new catalog for 2006-2007 says a 6 day cruise has 2 formal nights, the website says one. Anyone ever done a six night curise?

4. The price for the spa - is that $100 for all lengths of cruises, or does it change?

5. (finally) on the infinity will the suitcases fit under the bed?

Thanks for your help.

I have done a quick review of the 28 pages of this thread, and still have some questions about our Infinity cruise in January...

1. Are there enough electrical outlets in the room to handle hair dryers, curling irons, ect. at the same time? Another site (Princess) suggested to bring an outlet strip, which we did, and we didn't need it.

2. Breakfast - We like a quick breakfast with good selection and have found the buffets work for us. Having never been on a Celebrity cruise, would you say it's the same?

3. The new catalog for 2006-2007 says a 6 day cruise has 2 formal nights, the website says one. Anyone ever done a six night curise?

4. The price for the spa - is that $100 for all lengths of cruises, or does it change?

Thanks for your help.

1. No. A hairdryer is already pulling down pretty much the max capacity of the outlet box over the desk (that's the only spot you'll find to plug in -- good news, there's a mirror there). As I recall, a curling iron pulls down quite a bit, too -- so you need to plan to take turns!

2. Yes. There's not much change through the course of a cruise in the breakfast buffet fare, but there are a reasonable number of choices. On at-sea days, treat yourself to a sit-down in the main dining room instead for some additional variety.

3. Have never done a 6, so can't say. We rarely do 7, but they've always had two.

4. Can you be more specific? Are you talking about the T-Pool pass for the length of the cruise?

5. Yes. Although you may have to lift the bed slightly (they're really light) in order to get your suicase past the bedframe's side rail as you slide it under. You can fit four real whoppers under there with no problem.

Canderson - Thanks so much for all the good info! Will take your advise and do at least one sit down breakfast. We have never done anything but 7 days, so the 6 day cruise - I think it's due to the holiday and repositioning the ship - has us trying to guess. Another problem in taking this "one time only" cruise (as far as Celebrity is concerned) is that there is no history as to menus or activities. Everything will just be a surprise! Thanks for your help.

Here is an interesting thread on Celebrity Menus: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=4762127&highlight=menus#post4762127

Post #7 on the thread indicates that there are only 14 dinner menu's for all of Celebrity, and that it is up to the ship's staff to pick from them for a given itinerary. There are also some links to another site with some Celebrity menu's. I believe it was to here: http://cruiseclues.com/menus.htm

Thanks for your help.

We have done Infinity twice in the last year and once on a six day cruise so I know I can answer all your questions without a problem.

1) Take a plug strip if you have any electronics at all. I recharge a laptop, an iPod, the small iPod stereo speakers I carry and my cell phone so it is imperative. If you only have a hair dryer, don't worry about it.

2) Buffet works great. Waffles and omelettes in minutes. Also, for a healthy alternative (who needs healthy on board) but really good, try the Aqua Spa Cafe. Best lox and bagels ever plus a lot more. And never a crowd. Great for lunch too.

3) Our six day cruise had two formal, two semi-formal, two casual.

4)The spa price you are talking about is for the Persian Gardens. One of my favorite places. Relaxation at its best. The price varies by length of cruise. We paid $75 for two of us on our 6 day cruise and $175 for two of us on our 14 day Infinity trip through the canal.

5) We always put our suitcases under our bed. No problem.

Since Infinity is our home away from home (we sail on her again in February) if you have any other questions you can feel free to e-mail me direct at jimbellomo@mac.com

Jim

P.S. If you like martinis make sure to say hi to Allesio in the Martini Bar. He makes the best ever!

1) Although Celebrity occasionally commits the sin of not including something chocolate on their desert menu, you can get some sort of chocolate cake or other chocolate desert every night, if you just ask your waiter. In fact, there were several nights when there was a particularly good sounding non-chocolate desert on the menu that we had the desert on the menu AND a chocolate desert that may or may not have been on the menu.

2) Most of the Sky Suites on deck 12 of Galaxy have much better balconies than the Royal or Presidential Suites. They are in the area that zig-zags in and out over the Oasis restaurant. That means that some balconies are larger than others. Some balconies are all shallow (though deeper than the larger suites) and some are all deep. Others have one side that is shallow and the other side deeper. We like those, because they give you the option of a deep balcony, while giving you a wider view. In either case, some of the balcony is shaded and some is open to the sky.

3) If you are in a suite, you can order cappuccino from the Cova Cafe every morning (or any time, for that matter), at no additional cost. The normal cost for cappuccino is $2.50 plus gratuity, which I think brings the total to about $2.85 each. But, if your butler brings it, the cost is included in the price of the suite. Since normal ship coffee (regardless of the ship) is so notoriously bad, we ordered two cappuccinos every morning, as soon as we got up. Our butler found out that we liked the pastries with the coconut in the middle, so he brought them, along with the cappuccino, every morning that they were available. We often had cappuccino with our "customized" cheese plate that he delivered every afternoon.

4) The Aqua Spa, at the bow of Galaxy (deck 11) costs $100 per cruise, unless you are in a suite, in which case, it is at no cost. It includes what I refer to as a Velociraptor Pool (because I can't think of the real name and because the real name is not sufficient, anyway). This pool, though smaller than the similarly named pool on the Summit, is far superior to the Summit version. Also, because it is an extra cost item, it is not nearly as crowded as the one on the Summit.

5) If you have a Mac or a PC with a particularly good wireless card, you can log into the Internet from the area just above the Martini Bar, aft of the Rendezvous Lounge. That way, in the afternoon, you don't have to listen to the art dealers loudly hawking their wares, while you are trying to compose an email and in the evening you can listen to the quiet strains of the piano player, while on the internet. There are two AC plugs available in that area, if you are low on battery.

6) Another area where you can access the net is across from Michael's, on the starboard side, just aft of the Cova Cafe. There is an AC outlet on the wall next to the atrium. Again, the signal may be so weak there that you may need either a Mac or a PC with a high quality wireless card to take advantage of this location. The advantage of this location is that you have easy access to the coffee at the Cova Cafe, without the acrid smell of cigars that you have in Michael's.

7) On a long cruise, if you don't encounter any heavy rain, the plexiglas in the balcony railings gets clouded by sea spray. If you are in a suite, you can ask that it be cleaned and although it's not actually the job of the cabin stewards to clean that plexiglas, they will do so. I wouldn't ask them to do so unless it really needed it, because it takes a lot of effort on their part and as I said, it really isn't their job. If it gets bad, we normally have ours cleaned on the 7th or 8th day of a long cruise. On a similar note, I met some people who pack an automobile windshield squeegee with a 2 foot handle in their bag, for just that purpose. Neat idea. Who wudda thunk it?

5) If you have a Mac or a PC with a particularly good wireless card, you can log into the Internet from the area just above the Martini Bar, aft of the Rendezvous Lounge. That way, in the afternoon, you don't have to listen to the art dealers loudly hawking their wares, while you are trying to compose an email and in the evening you can listen to the quiet strains of the piano player, while on the internet. There are two AC plugs available in that area, if you are low on battery.

6) Another area where you can access the net is across from Michael's, on the starboard side, just aft of the Cova Cafe. There is an AC outlet on the wall next to the atrium. Again, the signal may be so weak there that you may need either a Mac or a PC with a high quality wireless card to take advantage of this location. The advantage of this location is that you have easy access to the coffee at the Cova Cafe, without the acrid smell of cigars that you have in Michael's.

I knew about the Internet lounge with its associated fees, but I did not know there was wireless Internet available! Is there a connection fee for using wireless with your own laptop?

My wife is not going to be happy about this.

I knew about the Internet lounge with its associated fees, but I did not know there was wireless Internet available! Is there a connection fee for using wireless with your own laptop?

My wife is not going to be happy about this.

No additional charge for the Wi-Fi. Goes for the same price as the services if you use the onboard internet cafe machines ($0.75 or less a minute).

About 4 weeks ago I faxed Celebrity the paperwork for a stockholder shipboard credit on an upcoming February cruise. How long should it take for them to acknowledge this, and how do they do it (how do you get the credit?)....fax, e-mail, etc.?

About 4 weeks ago I faxed Celebrity the paperwork for a stockholder shipboard credit on an upcoming February cruise. How long should it take for them to acknowledge this, and how do they do it (how do you get the credit?)....fax, e-mail, etc.?

They don't usually acknowledge a fax. The credit is applied to your onboard account and you can call the Captain's Club to have them verify that the credit is showing in your booking record. Or you can email Tensi Westreicher, Account Executive, Loyalty Marketing, Celebrity Cruises and have her email you the verification. tensiwestreicher@rccl.com

Just for those who are inquiring if you can still be eligible for the shareholder credit..here is what I've been recently told.

----- Original Message -----

To: Cindy Wood

Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 11:57 AM

Subject: Re: shareholder cruise credit

Dear Ms. Wood,

Yes, if you own (or purchase before sailing) a minimum of 100 Royal Caribbean shares you would be eligible for the onboard credit.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Great news for those of us wanting to do so.

The stock trades in the mid $40 range. How much of an on board credit per shareholder does one get?

You should find this helpful.

RCCL Shareholder Benefit

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible for this offer?

Any shareholder holding a minimum of 100 RCL shares.

What is the offer?

$250 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 14 or more nights.

$200 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 9 to 13 nights.

$100 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 6 to 8 nights.

$50 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 5 nights or less.

Applicable on any Royal Caribbean or Celebrity Cruises sailings (excludes Celebrity

Xpeditions) booked by May 1, 2006.

How do I redeem this offer?

Provide your name, address, confirmation number, ship

and sailing date along with a copy of the your shareholder proxy card or a current

brokerage statement showing proof of share ownership in Royal Caribbean Cruises

Lt.

Via Mail: P.O. Box 025511, Miami, FL33102-5511.

Via Fax: 1-305-539-4645

Via Email: shareholderbenefit@rccl.com

I am sailing with my family and some friends. Can they receive the offer too?

The offer is only available for the stateroom in which the shareholder (with a minimum of 100 RCL shares) is sailing. Only one credit per shareholder on any one sailing.

Can I use the offer each time I sail?

Yes, you may request this offer multiple times – as

often as you sail on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity Cruises (excludes Celebrity

Xpeditions). Reservations must be booked no later than May 1, 2006.

Can this offer be combined with other offers, onboard credits and coupons?

Yes, this offer is combinable with other offers, onboard credits and coupons. The offer is NOT available to company employees, travel agents, tour conductors, and/or others utilizing complimentary or reduced-rate cruise fares.

Is offer transferable?

No. Offer is non-transferable. Only the stateroom that the

shareholder is traveling in will be eligible for the onboard credit.

Any restrictions?

Valid only for cruise vacations on Royal Caribbean International or

Celebrity Cruises. Not applicable to Celebrity Xpeditions. Offer is non-transferable

and not available to company employees, travel agents, interline rates, tour

conductors, and/or others utilizing complimentary or reduced-rate cruise fares.

Onboard credit is calculated in US dollars, but is not redeemable for cash.

Certificate value credited to onboard account at time of sail. Credit is applied on a

per stateroom basis; double occupancy. Single guests paying 200% of applicable fare shall receive full value of certificate. Only one credit per shareholder on any one sailing.

I am just curious. We have had cabin 6131 booked on the 12/4/05 Infinity for months and that is the cabin number listed on our cruise documents. OOPS...I just checked and we were upgraded to a different cabin, too. Thanks Canderson. I like the upgrade so I will be glad to keep it!

Hope you all have a nice cruise.

Archived