Celebrity Secrets they usually don't tell you about

dmarch@islc.net

I'm still trying to make sense of the "accident"...

What actually happened... something about a gangway... cold towels... people pulling arms... bone chips...

I dun' get it... :(

Thanks...I was thinking something was wrong with me that I wasn't understanding properly. Glad to know I wasn't alone on that.

We will be on the Summit soon and are wondering about the use of candles in the room?

Hi there...I'm the newbie here on the board, but I've recently finished my second cruise on Mercury.

While candles are a definate no no, one thing we did was bring a one of those scented candles that are in glass. We also brought a "candle warmer", kind of a mini hotplate that gets warm enough to just melt the wax but not to burn anything. Worked very well.

Enjoy your cruise.

And its purpose is?

Hmmm....ahhh....well...to put it delicately...

For those who may be unfortunate enough (twice for me) to have an inside cabin, think of it as sailing in a closet. After a while, particularly if some foods tend to digest...well...differently...

Let's just say "putting on air's" would be a delicate way to say it. :)

Having a scented candle in a warmer, not to mention lots of room freshener, makes one's living quarters much more pleasant.

A plug in night light would do the same and be safer. I've lived on a boat (not a ship) and know how dangerous candles could be. Things do not always stay put at sea.

But this candle is not lit. It's set on a warming plate (that doesn't get very hot actually, you could touch it and not get burned) which releases the scent.

I am a scented candle FREAK!!!!! I have them burning at home ALL THE TIME! On cruises I bring my Febreze Scent Stories machine. It "plays" scented discs. There are three fragrances on each disc. It gives out just enough smell. Not too heavy. A great alternative to candles on the ship. I also put a glade scented nightlight in the bathroom. No fan can be hell!

I was wondering if anyone has stayed in one of the family rooms and how it was?

I have one booked on the constellation in February.

Thanks,

Eric

Absolutely fantastic. You get the advantage of the aft experience together with even more space. We've had as few as two and as many as four in one. Best space for the $ on the M-Class ships. See pictures in the link in the signature line below. If you want to book less than 5 people, be sure that you're doing it during a period where kids are all in school, else Celebrity will likely not allow you to book it until the last minute, if at all.

On Millenium Class ships these have the large balconies:

2A-8161,8146,9173,9138

2B-7049,7080,7163,7166,7171,7173,7175,7177,7174,7176, 7178,7180

2C-6016,6018,6020,6021,6022,6023,6024,6025,6026,6027, 6029,6030,6031,6033,6035,6053,6048

CC/1A-9043,9038,9201,9164,9162,9160

CC/1B-8045,8046,8185,8176,8172,8170

CC/1C-6135,6136,6143,6144,7203,7212,7208,7206

And any of the 3 decks of aft family cabins have really huge ones.

On Century, the sky suites on deck 12 are 142 sq ft, whereas those on deck 10 are only 69 sq ft.

When prices fell and the Concierge Class was below what 2C's price was before, I booked it and we really enjoyed it. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say he/she did NOT enjoy it, it is just a question of whether you want to pay for it.

A bottle of champagne, slightly larger balcony than 2C, B or A that will accommodate a breakfast table, which they will dress with linen and serve a special bfast menu not available elsewhere with items such as smoothies, granola parfait, fresh squeezed juices, canapes in the evening, nicer bedding and towels, a second hair dryer, binoculars (to me they were like a toy), small bottles of shampoo and lotion in addition to the wall mounted ones, fruit bowl, flowers in 2 rooms. Priority boarding, special invitations if offered. You pay .50 more per day per person for the steward in CC than in 2c, but the main thing to consider is if the cruise price difference is worth it to you. Just depends on your life style.

Without the balcony on Zenith I'd not book it.

It really depends upon the importance that the extra's mean to you as well as the price differenyial between a regular balcony and CC. The price can vary wildly, depending on the cruise. In the fall, when the Carribean cruises are not as heavily booked, the difference may be as little as $100. Other times it can be several hundred.

We did it in November and loved it, but the price was too good not to.

Enjoy your trip. whatever you do..

Hi. My partner and I are planning to sail on the Infinity this winter. We are planning on a balcony room and wondering if anyone has any tips on picking a great room? Is CC class worth it? Many thanks,
Unlike the C-Class ships (Century, Galaxy, Mercury) where the CC cabins are the same size as other balcony and inside cabins, the CC cabins on the M-Class ships (Infinity, Constellation, Millennium, Summit) are noticably larger. The CC cabins on these ships are the old Category 1 veranda cabins vs. the Category 2 veranda cabins that are smaller. So SINCE you're on the Infinity, you need to start with the idea that your extra $ are buying you extra space (unlike C-Class ships).

Further, if you're lucky enough to snag one of the "special" CC cabins noted above, you'll also get a substantially larger veranda (4X) than both the average CC cabin or Category 2 cabin. This may add yet more value, and costs no more than any other CC cabin on the ship.

Finally, you look at the amenity list (here or on the Celebrity web site) and ask yourself what those are worth to you. But to tell the truth, the main selling point for us on ships like the Infinity is the additional space. On the C-Class ships, you have to get one of the really good Sky Suites on the Sky Deck to approximate the kind of total space you get in the aft CC cabins on M-Class, and I wouldn't pay much extra just for the additional amenities.

Heads up Folks,

I just discovered that the Constellation 8 night repositioning cruise from San Juan to Bayonne, NJ has Family Verandah class guaranteed fares of.....get this......$701pp plus port charges and taxes!!!! Total came to $912 pp after all that. Sailing on March 18th. I booked it right away. There are probably a few left.....just a heads up for anyone who might be interested in this incredible bargain. (It didn't hurt that we live within a couple hours by car from Bayonne and air fare to San Juan was only $129. Could be the cheapest cruise we've ever taken.)

Good luck and good cruising.

I have a question maybe you can answer, canderson. It seems to me that the FV class cabins were Concierge Class in the recent past. We like CC or a suite and enjoy all the little amenities.:) I see no indication of that now. Is it possible that category FV is no longer CC (if it ever was) and that the little extras won't be there?:( Not to mention the double cruise credit?

As you could see from my previous post I just jumped on this booking as an impulse without researching details. Any chance you know if this is a little change they didn't tell us about?

Thanks,

Rick

:confused:

I have a question maybe you can answer, canderson. It seems to me that the FV class cabins were Concierge Class in the recent past. We like CC or a suite and enjoy all the little amenities.:) I see no indication of that now. Is it possible that category FV is no longer CC (if it ever was) and that the little extras won't be there?:( Not to mention the double cruise credit?

As you could see from my previous post I just jumped on this booking as an impulse without researching details. Any chance you know if this is a little change they didn't tell us about?

Thanks,

Rick

:confused:

The FV cabins have never been classified as CC cabins. What changed were all of the Cat1A, Cat1B and Cat1C cabins. Those became Celebrity's CC class on the M-Class ships. No extra cruise credit, but an enormous amount of space (larger both inside and out than any of the Sky Suites -- in fact, your worst nightmare is that your guarantee gets upgraded to one!). The FV cabins do not include the CC amenities, but have the largest verandas on the ship apart from a couple of the high end suites. Take a look at the photos in the signature line, below.

No extra cruise credit, but an enormous amount of space (larger both inside and out than any of the Sky Suites -- in fact, your worst nightmare is that your guarantee gets upgraded to one!).

Thanks for setting that point straight. I believe (actually, I know) it was your pix of the FV cabin last year before we went on Millie that has made me want to try one of the FV cabins. I like the room dividers and the spacious (and private looking) verandah.:) (Didn't you also point out then that the corner cabins are even neater with a little private hallway?) I have already considered the potential for disappointment if an upgrade comes through to a suite from FV.:( But I've had to reconcile the potential disappointment by keeping in mind that a $900 pp suite ain't bad either:D , even tho the cabin (and especially the verandah) are smaller.

Good cruising.

Rick:)

(Didn't you also point out then that the corner cabins are even neater with a little private hallway?) I have already considered the potential for disappointment if an upgrade comes through to a suite from FV.:( But I've had to reconcile the potential disappointment by keeping in mind that a $900 pp suite ain't bad either:D , even tho the cabin (and especially the verandah) are smaller.

Good cruising.

Rick:)

Indeed, the corner FV cabins are about 3 foot longer, and have the little hallway between the cabin and the main corridor. The balconies in the corners are also even larger than those next door and across the aft CC cabins. Make sure you're travelling with friends and have a party out there!

The price certainly sounds right whichever way it works out for you. I've often wondered what happens if the FV guarantee is upgraded to a Sky Suite. Do you then get the extra sailing credit for the suite as part of the deal, even though you didn't pay for a suite?

Indeed, the corner FV cabins are about 3 foot longer, and have the little hallway between the cabin and the main corridor. The balconies in the corners are also even larger than those next door and across the aft CC cabins. Make sure you're travelling with friends and have a party out there!

The corner is my hope. I think odds are a little long here....they usually go first, don't they?

The price certainly sounds right whichever way it works out for you. I've often wondered what happens if the FV guarantee is upgraded to a Sky Suite. Do you then get the extra sailing credit for the suite as part of the deal, even though you didn't pay for a suite?

One of the very first concerns I had about getting the guarantee, not locking in a cabin, was the unfortunate possibility of an upgrade. (Even before you mentioned it because the Sky Suite is smaller, especially the verandah.) Imagine the irony, "Darn, I got upgraded to a suite!!":( I know the price is good, but I haven't asked about the extra sailing credit ('cause I'm hoping to not need to and originally thought FV might have been Concierge Class), but I'll bet it doesn't come with the upgrade, just the butler service, etc. I'll post if I find out.

Question, do you still get full room service for things like breakfast on the verandah and such in FV?

Rick

ler service, etc. I'll post if I find out.

Question, do you still get full room service for things like breakfast on the verandah and such in FV?

Rick

If by this, you ask if the room service menu is the same as the Concierge Class cabin menu, the answer is no. But all cabins have breakfast room service of a slightly less broad sort.

However, although FV cabins get the regular room service menu, the cabin steward is already delivering CC breakfasts between and all up the sides from the FV cabins, so chances are good that a write-in of any of the additional items from the CC menu will be delivered. Be sure to ask. The FV cabins are really little islands surrounded by CC cabins.

However, although FV cabins get the regular room service menu, the cabin steward is already delivering CC breakfasts between and all up the sides from the FV cabins, so chances are good that a write-in of any of the additional items from the CC menu will be delivered. Be sure to ask. The FV cabins are really little islands surrounded by CC cabins.

CC to the left of me...CC to the right. Good point. My last two cruises were back there in 8193 and 7195 respectively.

Just read your thread about disembarkation at Galvaston last week. And it looks like you're going back in 2 weeks from now. No comment there....just good luck on returning, but I'm curious about FO cabins on C-Class ships. To stay on topic about secrets...your pix make the sitting area on Galaxy FO class look uncomfortable (IMHO).....just convertable beds?? Is this a preference to the normal oceanview cabin to you anyway due to larger cabin size? They seem to be almost the only cabins left available for your cruise in January.....does that mean they are not as popular? I would think, however, that the new Century FV class with verandah might be a decent cabin.

Archived