Celebrity Secrets they usually don't tell you about

dmarch@islc.net

Okay... I've been on ships before, but only as an entertainer on a luxury line.

My girlfriend is currently on a Celebrity ship, the Infinity, so I'm (perish the thought!) PAYING in FULL for a cruise goin out April 28.

So I need your help. I've always had great interaction with Cruise Critic people so this is where I've come first. I may ask some stupid questions, some obvious things, but I want to know what I'm doing. I was basically a paid guest in many ways when singing on the ship, but it's still very different.

See, having only been A) an employee and B) on a luxury, "all-inclusive" line, I am not sure what I am getting into.

My questions, to begin with, are:

1) What is included, what is not as far as food in concerned? Room service is included as well, correct?

2) How is tipping handled (there was "no tipping allowed" on my ship, though it still happened of course) ?

3) The embark / debark are both San Francisco... when should I try to get, my flight I mean, and when should I try to have it leave by? The logistics boggle my mind for some reason. I'm so excited to see my girlfriend, and the cruise...

4) On my ship they had fleet provied shuttles (in many cases) ready to and from the airport to the port and vice versa. I need the cheapest way possible to get from the plane to the ship and ... yeah. :)

5) Please advise me of anything else you think I may not know!!!

Thank you so much for your help, I hope I'll be hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Don

Don;

I'm certainly not a seasoned traveller, but have been on a couple of Celebrity cruises, so I'll try to chime in:

1. Included are all meals, including late snack. Not included--beer, wine, drinks, sodas, coffee at the Cova Cafe. On some of the ships, there are specialty dining rooms, at additional charge (have not been such on ships we were on). Never used room service, so won't comment.

2. Tipping. Celebrity publishes a "guideline" for tipping of wait staff and room cleaning staff. These tips are the major part of the income for these folks.

Drinks automatically have 15% added. You can put tips on your credit card, or pay cash--whatever works for you.

3. Flight--guess it partly depends on where you are located. We usually plan to arrive a day before departure. This leaves time for the Murphy's law--last trip we left a day early from Baltimore, which turned out to be a good move. 14 inches of snow about closed the airport, and some folks from the Boston area picked up the cruise at Cozumel instead of Galveston.

Going out shouldn't be a problem--the ships generally arrive on time, and debarkation order depends on your departure times. Just give yourself enough time to get to the airport and suffer through the lines.

4. We've used both the cruise arranged transport and our own arrangements. About a tossup, for us.

Have a great time!

I can't believe I read the whole thing!!!! My very first cruise was on X in 11/04, so I was spoiled fromt he beginning! From the cold, wet wash cloths when returning from a port to creme brulee until my heart's content! Took a second cruise in February on the Grand Princess, and I wasn't nearly as impressed!

The only tip I have to give is to take a power strip. I use a blow dryer and ceramic flat and curling irons (especially in the at sea humidity!). I would have been hard pressed to ever make it to dinner at all without it!

Thank you to all of you who've sailed X many times just to supply us with all of these great tips!

Also, I found the water in the iced pitchers left by the cabin stewards great! The water on Grand Princess was so bad that I took to drinking iced tea, and came back addicted to caffeine!

Quick question - I'm about to take a cruise with my dad. Are all of the charges automatically billed together to the cabin, so that we are forced to figure out who spent what? Or is it possible for us to have separate charge accounts under separate credit cards?

Thanks.

Quick question - I'm about to take a cruise with my dad. Are all of the charges automatically billed together to the cabin, so that we are forced to figure out who spent what? Or is it possible for us to have separate charge accounts under separate credit cards?

Thanks.

You can set up separate accout tied to each of your seapass cards and charged to separate credit cards or you can pay in cash at the end of the cruise.

Thanks.

When you do your online registration, you each have to register a credit card. This will allow separate charges. I travel with a friend and we each have our own account. It's good to check your charges on the TV the first couple of days to make sure they are getting the charges on the correct account. It's easier to fix it early if there is a problem.

Yes, I actually brought along a three socket strip to plug in our electric toothbrushes (2 separate units) during the day AND we brought along an extra outlet/nightlight/air freshener thing for the third plug that allowed us to have an open plug (for my camera battery charger). Honestly, I'd thought to use the air freshener/nightllight/socket unit in the bathroom (where it would make LOTS of sense, er, scents--couldn't resist) but the only plug in the Mercury bathroom was in the hair dryer, labeled for razors only, and didn't charge through the nightlight/etc., unit at all. Don't ask me why. You would think that cruise lines might recognize that people are carrying a lot more plug in electronics stuff these days and consider putting more sockets in the rooms. Not in any of the ships I've been on so far, at least, have I found this luxury to be available. Think about all the chargers people need for all kinds of toys, both adult and children's, as well as the toothbrushes, cameras, etc.

Extra sockets would be a good suggestion to put on your cruise comment cards.

I admit, however, that the room freshener was a nice touch for keeping the room smelling fresh. I've heard that people with inside cabins like to use them too--since inside cabins can smell a bit stuffy at times, or at least I've been told. I don't stay in them but my kids have when we traveled together--they got the inside, mom and dad get the balcony.

What? A son who is interested in paying his own way? WOW!

Or a dad who insists on it?

quote.gif

LOL!!!

I'm actually paying for the cruise (13-night Alaska on the Summit in a Family Oceanview with a balcony) for both of us. I can't afford to ALSO pay for all the incidentals, but I don't want him having to pay for my drinks/spa services/etc...

TO DREW B.

Hey, I am most definitely available if you need a 2nd "adopted" father! But all kidding aside, that is a great gift for your dad & you should be proud of yourself. I would love to do something like that for mine but he absolutely refuses to set foot on a cruise ship so I guess It will have to be something on "dry land" again. Hey all you sons out there - need a role model!!!

re: Separate Accounts

Even if you're both using the same credit card - the statements will list charges by person - so you'll know who charged what. I think there were subtotals by person, but can't say for sure as I don't have an old bill.

Hi everyone,

At one port on our upcoming Hawaii cruise on Summit we are trying to book a snorkelling trip through a local company. This is a tender port and I am wondering if there is any way to ensure that we get off the ship ASAP. We are not CC.

Who do we talk to and when? Do we need to give someone a little incentive?

Thanks!

I've read alll the pages and the one tip I have to add is for those who need to keep their medicines refrigerated... The night before you disembark, your steward will lock the refrigerator in the mini-bar unless you leave him a note requesting that he leave it open.

On the Infinity I had to call the front desk at 5am to get someone to unlock the mini-bar. This was done in record time by some poor tired staff person who was obviously wakened from a deep sleep :eek:

I have also asked for one of the ships personnell to help me repair a walker I was using. The guy did it with a smile and great conversation. He even refused a tip!

Oh, if there is a game you like to play that's not listed on the Compass, just speak to the Cruise DIrector and have him add a designated time and place for people who would like to join you...:D

I just checked the Celebrity website and saw that comparable cabins are going for MUCH less than I paid for my upcoming cruise ($350 less per person for a total of $700 less). I booked the cruise directly with Celebrity on the website, so I don't have a TA to turn to. Does anybody know if I call them if they are likely to give any kind of refund or even a shipboard credit? I'd be happy with any improvement they could give...

Great tips everone... Thanks..! We are sailing on the Summit in 19 Days to Hawaii!!!!

Hey, my cruise ticker isnt working... Shoot....

Dennis

Dennis, you must be on the same cruise as we are.

Did you check out the roll call for this sailing? We have quite a group of people from this board. Here is the link if you haven't found it yet

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=85370&page=41

The Gardens are located next to the Spa. It is generally shown on the tour on the first day. There is an entry charge, or you can buy a package. For the most part, think of it as a wet and dry sauna in a communal setting. Think Big Sur at sea and you will get the picture. I've been on three M class ships and have not used the Gardens at all. I prefer the dry sauna with the large window.

I just returned from Century's seven day Western Caribbean cruise of March 19-26. I don't know if this is a Celebrity secret- but it was news to me.

On Friday- in Costa Maya, there was a note in every cabin. You could stuff one of Celebrity's paper laundry bags with as many items as you could. The bag was not to be torn. You filled out the item list, but instead of charging for each t-shirt or pair of sox, the total would be $25. Saturday was a day at sea, so the laundry personnel had plenty of time to get your clothes back to you in time for packing.

I didn't do it, but it seemed like a good idea. The offer was NOT for dry cleaning, just washing machine laundry items. Cruise Director Bruce was on the stateroom TV interviewing the laundry manager, and counting up the bag of items from one of the crew members. She had over $70 if the charge was per item.

Take home clean laundry instead of dirty laundry. I think this was an experiment. Anyone else on Celebrity recently get this offer?

We are booking on the Millie for 6/06! I am so excited! :) And I have a few questions!

Has anyone ever rented a tux on board ship? DH and I have been losing weight over the past year and with us not being done yet I would hate to buy a tux that won't fit in a few months.

Can you have soda with meals in the dining room without the soda card? What about at the buffets? I usually only have it with meals if I drink it at all so paying for the card might not be worth it.

In the same line of questions as the drinks above, I notice tea is included what kind of sweetners are provided? I am very partial to splenda. If they do not have this will I be able to bring it with me considering I have to go through customs in Europe?

Anyone ever have trouble with medications getting through customs? My whole family is on one or two for allergies, asthma, blood pressure etc... Any tips for making sure that problems do not occur?

I might have more questions later!!! Any help would be appreciated

My husband rented a tux a few years ago on the Summit, as we did a week on land before the cruise. We didnt want to have to pack and carry his. It was fine.

As far as I know, sodas are NOT FREE at dinner. You would have to pay for each or use the card.

No idea about the sweetners.

I was thinking about medicines just the other day. We are traveling to the MED, and I want to bring some OTC stuff, dayquill, nightquill, benadryl, imodium etc and was thinking about putting them in little baggies with hand written labels instead of trying to take all the small bottles. I wonder if that would get me in trouble if I was the lucky one to get searched going thru customs.

Archived