Frustrated About Cruise Docs

CruiserJM

This is my first post but I’ve been reading the board for months and getting great information. My husband, two kids and I are cruising on Explorer Of The Seas on March 11th. This is our sixth cruise but our first with Royal Caribbean (we did three with Carnival and two with Disney).

In early February, I started getting concerned when our cruise docs hadn’t arrived (especially when I read on the boards about others on our cruise who had received theirs). So, I called RC on Feb 9th. They double checked my mailing address (yes, it was correct) and told me the docs had been mailed on Feb 7th so I should call back if I didn’t receive them in a few days.

Feb 14th – Still no cruise docs so I call back. They check my mailing address again and confirm they were mailed out on Feb 7th. But this time I’m told that, since I live in Canada, they have to allow 7 – 10 business days for me to receive them and so I should call back then if I don’t have them.

Feb 20th (first call) – Still no cruise docs so I call again. Again, my mailing address is checked (and it’s still correct!). This time, I’m told that my cruise docs were mailed on Feb 1st, not the 7th as the previous two reps had told me. I started asking about getting them re-issued and am told this has to be escalated to a supervisor and I get put on hold to wait for one. I sat on hold for twenty minutes and decided I must have been transferred to the wrong place so I hung up.

Feb 20th (second call) – I called right back and went through the story again. Of course, my mailing address was checked again. This rep also said my docs were mailed on Feb 1st. He confirmed that to have them re-issued I have to go through a supervisor and it does take a long time to get through to one. So, I’m put on hold again. After 40 minutes of sitting on hold this time, I had to leave to pick up my daughter so I pass the phone over to my husband. He sits on hold for another 15 minutes before finally the supervisor answers. The supervisor checks the mailing address again. My husband explains and tells him we would like them sent again and by courier or some form of trackable mailing. We’re leaving our house for this cruise on March 8th as we’re visiting some family first. Since they seem to require up to 10 days to mail to Canada, we want them sent by courier if possible. The supervisor says he can request this but can’t guarantee it and now we’re to call back tomorrow to see if and how the docs have been re-sent.

We really splurged on this cruise and treated ourselves to a Grand Suite. To say I’m not impressed with how this issue has been handled would be an understatement. All I want is our cruise docs – it’s not like I’m asking for something special here!

I’m concerned about the first set that was mailed. The rep told me they don’t cancel docs when re-issuing new ones so these documents are valid cruise documents but I have not idea where they are or who has them?

I notice on the web site that cruise docs can be emailed (although this was never mentioned on the phone) – does anybody have experience with this?

Sorry this is so long but I’m just look for some advice on what you would do next?

Thanks

You really don't need the "docs" that are mailed. All you need to do is print your "Set Sail Pass" from the website. That is all you will need to check in with your passports.

They have all of the luggage tags curbside at the port.

Enjoy your cruise and don't worry!

They have no need to cancel the old docs, there is not a ticket number assigned like with the airline. Also, no one else can use them, since they would have to show ID at port, also they cant get money from them, since any refunds are only applied back to original form of payment.

I get my docs but they stay home when I cruise, I just print the set sail pass and put it with my passport and go.

We made a room change to our cruise for March 9th last week (went from one room for all four of us to an OV for us and an inside cabin across the hall for the kids). Our cruise docs were for the old reservation, and RCCL told us to just print the correct information off the website and we should be good to go. We just have to fill out new luggage tags at the pier.

Thanks for your quick response. I thought the docs would be needed for us to board the ship. Since they're not necessary, I wonder why they make such a big process out of re-issuing them? Anyway, thanks for your help.

Nope, you really don't need them. If you would like them to be emailed, a customer service rep should be able to do this for you without a supervisors permission. Tell them that the mailed ones never showed. You won't get the luggage tags, but all the porters at the pier have pockets full of them. As long as you have your online set sail pass filled out and printed, you are good to go. Have a great vacation!

The last 2 cruises this year we were on RCI, never once asked for nor looked at "mailed" docs...all they wanted was the online set sail pass, birth certificate or passport, and driver's license....so NO fret over not having "official paper docs" in hand. You can get luggage tags at the port and put on your luggage. Go have a great stress free cruise. :)

From Ontario also and we generally drive down before. RCCL is slow getting DOC's up to Canada. Usually it's more the fun of getting the DOC's everyone can look at them and touch them so on.

In the past we have had a few issues with cruise lines or travel companies and regardless of if you need them or noting my view RCCL did not deal with your concerns. A recommendation I have is always keep notes who, when and what are they going to do for you. IO generally give them two calls and then deal with a supervisor. Always try and get the direct line or email address. If they have to put it in writing they usually are a bite more concerned with address your concerns.

Don't worry have fun you won't have to shovel for a couple of weeks.

From Ontario also and we generally drive down before. RCCL is slow getting DOC's up to Canada. Usually it's more the fun of getting the DOC's everyone can look at them and touch them so on.

In the past we have had a few issues with cruise lines or travel companies and regardless of if you need them or noting my view RCCL did not deal with your concerns. A recommendation I have is always keep notes who, when and what are they going to do for you. IO generally give them two calls and then deal with a supervisor. Always try and get the direct line or email address. If they have to put it in writing they usually are a bite more concerned with address your concerns.

docs who needs docs do the online checkin. then you only need to carry one piece of paper.

It is not RCCl that is slow in mailing docs to Canada. When my agency saids out anything to Canada it takes at least 10 days to get there. Do not blame the cruiselines blame the postal service.

Yes, you can do the e-dox thing and have no problems getting onboard. For our first cruise we booked last minute and did the e-dox thing. For our second cruise we booked earlier and received the hard-copy dox. Yes, there is a lot more information with the hard-copy dox, but you can get all of it online. The package includes listings of all excursions, plus the "rules". Read everything on the RCI website and you'll get all of the same info.

I don't know if I'd blame Canada Post --- it could be that RCI uses a particular mailing service that doesn't make Canadian mail a priority. Canada Post is a bit slower than the US Mail (trust me - I've lived with both for many years), but not weeks and weeks slower.

RE: edocs ; are they needed for the air transfers/transportaion from the airport to the ship ? I noticed the edocs I received had " voucher" in them for this purpose, should I take them?

Also, with RCI, do they handle your lugguage once you check it in(at airport) or do you have to wrangle it from baggage claim and give to the porters?? The luggage tags in the edoc had the room number on it. Are these also mailed to you?

<EMBED src="http://www.blingyblob.com/countdown/countdownD4.swf?tyear1=2007&tmonth1=3&tday1=31&thours1=0&tminutes1=0&event=family%20holiday%20at%20sea&clr=0x0033FF&tseconds1=0" loop=false menu=false quality=high bgcolor=0 WIDTH="257" HEIGHT="160" NAME="a" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></EMBED><br><a href="http://www.blingyblob.com/countdown/index.htm" target="_blank">Get your own countdown at BlingyBlob.com</a>

We sailed JOS 12/05 and received edocs. When did they start mailing docs again? We had a piece of paper, showed it to the porters and they handed us luggage tags to fill out. We have been on 20 cruises and only that one was edocs...not the same as the complete package thru the mail.

The only time you need docs is for hotels or air booked through RCI. In that case, you would have vouchers. Otherwise you don't need them. Not even for transfers. The driver will have your name on a list. No worried and have a great cruise.

We sailed JOS 12/05 and received edocs. When did they start mailing docs again? We had a piece of paper, showed it to the porters and they handed us luggage tags to fill out. We have been on 20 cruises and only that one was edocs...not the same as the complete package thru the mail.

You have a choice of either edocs or mailed docs. When booking online, the default is edocs, and you can click on the mail docs option if you want to change it. If you book on the phone, they should ask you if you want them emailed or mailed. And if you booked through a TA, it is whatever they signed you up for. They should have asked you.

Hey Fitz! It's jayme, becky's friend from the Monarch Last Month! ( and neighbor) Did ya like the late night phone call from Beck last Sat. Night?? Pretending we were still cruising!! Got Got some video, let Becky and Chris watch, toooo funny! We WILL SEND itto you!! What a fun fun cruise, we said "every January" no matter what!!

Can't wait to see you again, Papas & Beer and balcony parties!! :p

Off to Alaska June 30th. what;s your next cruise? Hawaii right??

Archived