Princess Out Of S.f.

CHIEB2812

Most intesting... sad to think that Galveston will be defunct in three months from now. Their port and processing by far overides the port of SFO.

Our last cruise via Galveston was by far the most pleasnt and user friendly we have ever encountered in thirteen cruises.

Their eagerness to please surely reflects their ultimate fate. Sadly, the world we live in hinges on the all mighty dollar...not the needs of the lonely souls of this world that bow and scrap to just get by. Shame on us all in some form or shape!

I like Pier 35 - it's old, it's congested and there's traffic to deal with when you get there - but it's also got a certain energy with all the activity and the views from the ship there are spectacular.
The location is great, but like Septrack said, the condition of the building is horrible. There are what appear to be abandoned piers directly to the south that could be razed and rebuilt to make a fantastic terminal. SF is a fantastic city to depart on a cruise, it's a shame that only a limited few will get that experience in the future.

Thanks for the link, that does answer the question about Alaska cruises out of SF for 2008. I'm glad to see that those are being renewed. We still don't know if the Sun will be doing Mexican Rivieria cruises out of SF during the Fall. They might transfer her back to P&O for Australia again.

The location is great, but like Septrack said, the condition of the building is horrible. There are what appear to be abandoned piers directly to the south that could be razed and rebuilt to make a fantastic terminal. SF is a fantastic city to depart on a cruise, it's a shame that only a limited few will get that experience in the future.

I have to agree with spongerob. It's sad that San Francisco hasn't leaned from San Diego's and Seattle's example and constructed a modern cruise terminal. While I love the history and location of Pier 35, a new facility is long overdue.

Hi all: My DH and I are sailing from SF to FLL leaving Sept 26,07. Don't know if you are talking about round trips from SF but just wanted you to know they are leaving from SF on the Coral.

That cruise is a repositioning from the Alaska route on her way back to FLL. Most of us are talking about the 10 day r/t out of S.F. to Alaska, for the summer of 2008. You will love the Coral. She is the best ship.

Marilyn

We are excited!! We knew the Sun was coming from Sydney to SF in May 2008 but still weren't sure about the Alaska run!! I don't know why I didn't think of checking the port schedule!!

We are planning to cruise with our sons, DILs and granddaughter to celebrate all of our anniversaries which are in June of 2008 and really wanted to do a round trip out of SF sometime that summer. We are only 35 minutes from Pier 35.

Thanks again for posting the link ;-))

Happy Cruising, Denise

I have to agree with spongerob. It's sad that San Francisco hasn't leaned from San Diego's and Seattle's example and constructed a modern cruise terminal. While I love the history and location of Pier 35, a new facility is long overdue.

A new terminal would be nice, but the original location of Pier 30/32 that was proposed isn't our favorite.

Pier 35 is such a great location in terms of proximity to one of the big tourist draws in SF, it would be nice if they revamped Piers 27-35 into a state of the art terminal (by including Pier 27, they could accommodate the really big ships like QM2).

Just our 2 cents.

A new terminal would be nice, but the original location of Pier 30/32 that was proposed isn't our favorite.

Pier 35 is such a great location in terms of proximity to one of the big tourist draws in SF, it would be nice if they revamped Piers 27-35 into a state of the art terminal (by including Pier 27, they could accommodate the really big ships like QM2).

Just our 2 cents.

I agree – the proposed location of the new cruise terminal at Pier 30/32 is less than optimal – what’s out that direction except AT&T Park? No comparable views. And a rebuild of the areas to include Pier 27 to 35 would make a great terminal area. But I still find no problem with Pier 35 – right the building is old but as Ed says, it adds a bit to the nostalgia. Embarking from San Francisco harkens back to what it must have been in the days of the liners – I enjoy feeling the air off the water and seeing the sun stream in through the windows as opposed to being in a hermetically sealed terminal with a jet way that connects the building to the ship. And besides, it’s home – and maybe that’s why I appreciate it a bit more than those who simply pass through.

I really think that before San Francisco builds something new, they need to ensure that it will be properly used. I don’t think – given San Francisco’s geographic location and the current laws regarding the carrying of passengers – it’s a matter of building it and waiting for the cruise lines to come. As the 2008 schedule shows, the arrival of Sun Princess every 10 days is hardly going to support a rebuilding of a section of the waterfront. It’s sort of a vicious circle – if there’s no demand to build, there will be no building, yet if there’s no building there will be no demand.

As quoted in Cruise News Daily (www.cruisenewsdaily.com) Princess moved Dawn Princess to San Diego because of the market – there wasn’t a mention of antiquated port facilities. The fact that Sun Princess will be here in the summer of 2008 supports that. And in reality, the Princess schedule for San Francisco is back to where it was about four or five years ago – we didn’t have Mexican Riviera sailings then either.

Archived