More problems???

nocaper

Last night I heard 35 crew members (all bar staff - managers, assistants, bartenders and bar wait staff) were fired and departed the Sun in Juneau. Anyone else heard about this? I realize this isn't a huge number of people, but they are all from one area. I could see a few might get fired at any given time, but 35??

Not on the news...and surely not from NCL! LOL! We heard from one of the crew members. Some of the people let go have been with NCL MANY years and some only a short time. I heard one person's side, but am curious to hear if anyone who was cruising has any insight.

Last night I heard 35 crew members (all bar staff - managers, assistants, bartenders and bar wait staff) were fired and departed the Sun in Juneau. Anyone else heard about this? I realize this isn't a huge number of people, but they are all from one area. I could see a few might get fired at any given time, but 35??

Unless these crew members were found with drugs or breaking some other laws this seems pretty unlikely especially in the middle of the cruise week. You said you didn't hear it on the news, but from a crew member. Are you on a ship now or is this member a friend of yours? I am certain, if this is true, we will soon and I mean like in the next day, all the details. If it isn't true all the more reason to beleive only 1/2 of what you hear.

NMNita

Unless these crew members were found with drugs or breaking some other laws this seems pretty unlikely especially in the middle of the cruise week. You said you didn't hear it on the news, but from a crew member. Are you on a ship now or is this member a friend of yours? I am certain, if this is true, we will soon and I mean like in the next day, all the details. If it isn't true all the more reason to beleive only 1/2 of what you hear.

NMNita

Yes, I did hear from a crew member we have known for many years. He has been with NCL for 18 years and I have no reason to doubt what he said as he gave me names of several other people known to us who were also let go. The reason, as told by him, has nothing to do with drugs. I'm not sure I understood correctly and that is why I am hoping to hear from others who heard about it or who were passengers on this sailing and can help with some details if known.

This is very interesting. Would you please share with us more information on this matter.

OceanDreams

OceanDreans

I am not sure I understood the reason these people were let go, so I have not posted what I heard. I'm waiting to hear more of the story and hope the returning passengers will be able to shed some light on this. I don't want to spread rumors. Don't feel I need "verification" of the firing of 35 crew, but I want to make sure I have the reason correct.

OceanDreans

I am not sure I understood the reason these people were let go, so I have not posted what I heard. I'm waiting to hear more of the story and hope the returning passengers will be able to shed some light on this. I don't want to spread rumors. Don't feel I need "verification" of the firing of 35 crew, but I want to make sure I have the reason correct.

I don't want you to misunderstand what I was saying:of course you don't need varification, but before posting something as serious as this I would think facts would need to be pretty darn concrete!!! I wasn't attacking you, just wondering why you are the only one with this information. No one else seems to know anything.

NMNita

I haven't received any confirmation of the reason they were let go. Per their request, I have mailed applications for other cruise lines to a couple people affected. My guts tell me the crew members are telling the truth. Do cruise lines do ref. checks? Wouldn't eyebrows go up if you worked for the same line for X years and were fired? Not sure how they do this, but I do know those couple people I have talked to are very anxious to find work on other cruise lines so they can support their families. They received no pay for July. One of the men (who had to travel half way around the world to get home) said he had "$35 American and $50 Canadian" in his wallet. Not sure if NCL paid their way home (I didn't ask) but I think they must have since the crew members were leaving Juneau very quickly. Sure would like to hear from some passengers who were on that week!

that your not being "shafted".....?

I haven't received any confirmation of the reason they were let go. Per their request, I have mailed applications for other cruise lines to a couple people affected. My guts tell me the crew members are telling the truth. Do cruise lines do ref. checks? Wouldn't eyebrows go up if you worked for the same line for X years and were fired? Not sure how they do this, but I do know those couple people I have talked to are very anxious to find work on other cruise lines so they can support their families. They received no pay for July. One of the men (who had to travel half way around the world to get home) said he had "$35 American and $50 Canadian" in his wallet. Not sure if NCL paid their way home (I didn't ask) but I think they must have since the crew members were leaving Juneau very quickly. Sure would like to hear from some passengers who were on that week!

I don't consider sending a couple people applications (for a total cost of a few dollars) being shafted. No body asked for money if that is what you're thinking. And this certainly is not about a ship board romance if you are thinking that angle. These are people we (my family) have known for many years and have kept in contact with them when they have been transferred to different ships in the line. Thay were upset and "didn't know who else to call". It was as simple as that.

Did I miss something? I haven't seen any post from people telling about all those "bar staffer" that were let go. So did this in up not being fact? I hope it isn't true. Since the "Sky" and "Norway" are gone, the "Sun" is my favorite ship and have made some really good friends on it.

OceanDreams

No need to get defensive, just ran this by someone who would know, and he had no clue of it either. I'm just not sure why a crewmember would ask a passenger to send them applications to other carriers. It just SOUNDS odd, thats all . Doesn't mean that it IS odd. I'm surprised they just didn't report it to their crewing agents, etc. After many years on a ship I'm surprised they didn't know who to call and asked a passenger instead. Remember, I am only posting an opinion, not a fact. Menina

I don't consider sending a couple people applications (for a total cost of a few dollars) being shafted. No body asked for money if that is what you're thinking. And this certainly is not about a ship board romance if you are thinking that angle. These are people we (my family) have known for many years and have kept in contact with them when they have been transferred to different ships in the line. Thay were upset and "didn't know who else to call". It was as simple as that.

Archived