Crown Bay - St Thomas

Clarkk W Griswald

Just curious, why in the world would anyone want to go to a K-Mart when in St. Thomas?

When I referred to it, please understand, that it was just a "landmark" used in another thread and an easy-to-find landmark at that -- I mean really most people know the big red "K" right?

I think someone might go to KMart should they need an item that would probably cost 15 times more on the ship? Personally, I don't go to KMart here in the states, so it won't happen in St. Thomas either. I'll pay more on the ship . . .

cruz fiend:

yes, Kenny would have made an even more perfect day in St John.

His home is on Peter Bay just a hop skip and a jump from Cinnamon, but it's in a private residential area, A friend of mine had come into Peter Beach via sailboat a few years ago and by chance met his brother.

DH and I have been to the K-Mart in St Thomas the past two trips. First, they have an awesome liquor section at prices we haven't found any cheaper on any of the islands. DH has a penchant for expensive bourbon and we always get a good deal there. It is also just an interesting place to visit when we have time. You can also get really inexpensive souveniers and t-shirts.

Both times we have left from Paradise Point (our favorite hang out) and walked to K-Mart. When you leave Paradise Point, turn right. It is probably 5 - 6 blocks and about a 10-15 minute walk.

When we came out of K-Mart in December, there were taxis parked right in front. We got a ride back to the ship at Crown Bay with no problems. I can't recall what it cost us, but it was well worth it.

We made our way to Cinnamon Bay on St John from Crown Bay last week and didn't encounter delays or hassles.

As we prefer beaches to shopping Crown Bay vs. Haversight did not make a difference.

The ferry from Charlotte Amalie leaves at 9am and we were docked b4 7, leisurely got off the ship at 8, plenty of cabs($4pp) available that were filling up and taking off quickly, could have easily left a bit earlier and walked but we didn't, so by 8:15 we were at the ferry enough time to stroll around though some shops were just opening.

The ferry($10) was a gorgeous 30 minute ride to Cruz Bay, stopped for a quick eyeopener cocktail at the bar in the park after the dock, and then a scenic open air van ride ($7pp) to Cinnamon Bay(free).

It was 10:10 when we arrived there and in my minds' eye this is the most beatiful beach anywhere OK - so it is $42 per person/ $45 if you count in the bloody mary to get there, but just so worth the effort and expense. we spent until 2 at the beach then into Cruz bay to soak up the local atmospere - I highly recommend Al's - (bright blue cafe with the big open air window at intersection across from tourist inf stand) we caught the 4pm ferry back, in plenty of time for the ship's departure at 6.

This was the most expensive transportation day by far, but all other ports got us to beaches on the cheap less then 5 pp.

Yes Crown Bay is second rate, but most people think it is better than tendering. Lets face it in the future there will be more ships and people to squeeze in all the time.

The beauty of this board is the solutions or work arounds people find to various issues. The post above seems like the best solution to snorkeling in st johns I have read and i thank the poster.

I know all of our posts seem like gripping but it frequently is really about finding better solutions to enhance our cruise experience.

[quote name='AirGorilla']Just curious, why in the world would anyone want to go to a K-Mart when in St. Thomas?[/QUOTE]

Cheapest liquor prices on the Island....the only downside is that it is not packaged like they do at AH Riise. The boxes Riise uses are the best for when you get off the ship.

Archived