Crown Bay - St Thomas

Clarkk W Griswald

For those of you that have stopped at the new Princess pier called Crown Bay, what is your opinion? We recently were there and I didn't care for it at all. In fact, as long as Princess continues to stop at Crown Bay, we will look cruise to St Thomas on another cruiseline, if possible.

There is nothing much there at all, I believe there were 2 or 3 stores open. Oh sure, the will be more shops open sometime, but it will never be like Havensight.

The cab drivers at Crown Bay only seem interested in taking you on quick trips to downtown (@ $5 pp). We wanted to go to Sapphire Beach, (the sign at the pier said Sapphire Beach would be $11 pp) so they put us in a cab (a mini van) with another couple and told us to wait a minute so they could find 2 more people to fill the van. We sat in that van for 30 minutes and still no driver in sight. We got out and asked them if they forgot about us and the guy running the taxi stand said that they were still looking for 2 more people. In the meantime, the other couple left, saying they were going to walk out toward the road to see if they could flag down a taxi on the street. We even went over to speak to the Princess rep on the pier, and he said there was nothing we could do, except just wait. Finally, we found enough people for a cab to Sapphire Beach, 1 1/2 hours after we left the ship.

After a great time on Sapphire Beach, we quickly caught a cab, to be dropped off at Havensight to do some shopping (@ $10 pp). We shopped in some of our favorite stores and asked several of the owners if they would be opening shops at Crown Bay. They all said no, it would not be cost effective for them to open and staff another store at a pier when there wouldn't be ships docking every day or where only 1 ship would be stopping.

After returning to the ship, (and another $5 pp cab fare back from Havensight) we stopped at the purser's desk to ask them who we could talk to or write to to voice our concerns (before anyone gets the wrong idea, we weren't looking for any shipboard credits, compensation, a free cruise, or anything like that). We just wanted to see if anyone else shared the same disappointment on the new pier as we did. The young gentleman at the purser's desk really didn't seem to care, stating that it's just the way it will be from now on. When we told him about what the local store owners said about not opening stores there, he said it doesn't matter, that Princess will be opening many of their own stores there soon. Hmmm, we found that quite interesting. A Princess ship stops at a Princess pier, so the passengers can shop in Princess stores, or spend $10 pp round trip to shop at Havensight or downtown.

These are just my own opinions on the situation we experienced, and want to hear the experiences and opinons of others who have already been to Crown Bay.

to be honest we do most of shopping in the main town (CA) area so there not being stores there didn't really matter to us. What really peeved me is the way the taxi drivers seem to all be very expensive. They won't even give you a freaking discount even if you're traveling with 3 children. No matter where you ask to be taken, they charge a lot to get you there from Crown Bay.

I did read in another post that a contract was signed and Princess will be there for a while... maybe that's why they didn't seem to care when you inquired.

BTW.. did you notice that they charge you a different price into town, but on the way back to the ship it's cheaper... gov't controlled my A**

(yea, I was told that the taxi fares was set by the Govt when I asked why it was so high when we left the ship)

Another good reason not to get off the ship! I cruise almost entirely because of the ship not the ports. Last cruise I didn't even get off the ship in the first three ports (Nassau, Grand Bahama Island and St. Thomas). I love being on a nearly empty ship and enjoying it without the crowds by the pool! I have been to many Caribbean Islands and I always feel ripped off at every turn.

All Princess ships will be going to Crown Bay for the next 10 years. That is the deal they signed with this port agent.

As for Princess opening their own shops, I don't know about that one, but I am sure that if time is given, Crown Bay wll be come a mini havensight.

We were there in November on the Crown and none of the shops were open. Don't like the change and really preferred Havensight.

By the way, Carnival is also stopping there with all their ships, so it's not a "Princess dock".

As far as taxis are concerned, just walk outside the gate and there are plenty of regular taxis waiting to take you where you want to go. This is what we did in November. On our next sailing on the 3/31 Crown we have a jeep rented and Budget will be picking us up. Otherwise I wouldn't bother getting off.

thanks for the heads up.

we're planning on Sapphire Beach on our upcoming cruise and dh was always way impatient at Havensight with them waiting to fill up the taxi.

Now, we'll know, if the van isn't filled when we get on, we'll go out to the street.

As for the shopping, the first time we docked in St. Thomas, at Havensight, there were NO stores - there were two "farm stand" tee shirt type vendors on the road ;).

Shopping is of no importance to us, but taxis and not wasting our time are.

By the way, Carnival is also stopping there with all their ships, so it's not a "Princess dock".

Not true on our trip 2/11/07. Carnival Legend and a Costa Cruiseship were at the pier at Havensight, Caribbean Princess only ship at Crown Bay. Right now, there is only room for 1 ship at Crown Bay. They were still dredging sand out on the one side of the pier.

I was at Crown Bay on the Caribbean Princess last week. Because we were the only ship there, the crazy crowds were not present like at Havensight.

We took a taxi to the heart of town and walked over to Havensight. It was crazy as usual over there since 3 ships were dumping out. Once Crown Bay is complete, it will be a nice place to stop. I didn't miss Havensight that much.

Not true on our trip 2/11/07. Carnival Legend and a Costa Cruiseship were at the pier at Havensight, Caribbean Princess only ship at Crown Bay. Right now, there is only room for 1 ship at Crown Bay. They were still dredging sand out on the one side of the pier.

I have a question - we were in st thomas last year and when I looked across the bay (from the top of the skyride in st thomas) I saw two ships at what I thought was crown bay - it was an NCL ship and a HAL ship (i think)

So was I looking at a different pier or was that crown bay?

We were in St. Thomas in December and was such NOT a big deal! There were cabs everywhere that took you to downtown. Yes, it isn't as nice as just walking to the shops but did it ruin the port? Absolutely not.

We had a wonderful cab ride back to the ship with our cocktail in hand at the end of the day. I'm not going to worry about $4pp when I just spent $500 at the shops in town.

Please don't avoid St. Thomas because of where they dock. It is such a non issue compared to the beauty of the island. Have been 2 times and going back in June '08.

our experience last week: when we got off of the ship it was easy to catch a taxi to town because huge amounts of people were going. From town, after shopping, we asked for a taxi to Sapphire beach and no one wanted to take us - then a cab that was almost full and going to Megans agreed. On our way home from Sapphire back to Crown Bay - bad experience. Only ones to get into a van cab and cab driver took off (left us) to find more passengers. We waited 15 minutes in his cab, and then DH got out to ask other cab drivers if they would take us...one agreed and then there was a yelling match between the taxi attendant guy and him - but we got into his cab and left. He proceeded to tell us that he was not making any money on this run because it was just us two and this would only pay for his gas. Well, besides this complaint he was friendly enough and we tipped him to make it worth his time. He said that most cab drivers do not like taking people to Crown Bay because it is just so far out of the way. Maybe in a few years when there are more ships that dock there and more stores open it will be different.

The problem I know of with taxis at Crown Bay is that one Taxi Association won the contract to supply services there and all other taxis not part of that association are banned and will get fined by the police if they pick up anyone within the gates there. The taxi drivers there tend to be arrogant because they know this. However other taxis are allowed to drop off passengers there but can't pick up another fare. Simply go out of the Crown Bay complex to find the other taxis who tend to be friendlier and will give better deals if you want to do island tours, etc. This has been our experience here.

Just wondering if you still have time to taxi into town (CA) to shop, eat a quick lunch, then head back to the ship to drop your stuff off and take a taxi to Megans beach.

That is what we've done numerous time and -- while timing is tight -- the stop back at the ship allows us to drop off all valuables before hitting the beach.

With the Crown dock being further away, is this not a realistic plan any longer? If it's not, then we will just do an afternoon snorkel tour to St. John or something instead. Thx

I have been to St Thomas at least 15 times and I, for one, am getting tired of all this 'craziness', especially with the cabs! I feel they make an enjoyable port, nothing more than a huge, money-making squable! They fight about who is taking you, then they lie about when you are going, etc. If the cab is not full, they act like you just caused their family to go hungry for the week. This is not an isolated time, but all the last 3-4 times I have been there.

They want $8/pp/one way to go to Megans Bay. So our group of 14 pays the guy $224 to take us round trip to Megans Bay. And they are not able to make a living if the next cab is half full? Admission is $3/pp which adds up to another $42 for the group.

At our stop in Aruba, our group walked about a block, got on the bus, paid $2/pp/round trip to go to Palm beach (free). No one fought over us or told us we were costing them money or anything.

I realize there are cultural differences at these islands. Believe me, I KNOW ABOUT CULTURAL DIFFERENCES. However, I am getting so tired of the way we are being treated when we get off of the ship in St Thomas, I will be using St Thomas as a day to relax on the ship. Enough said for me.

Thank you~~~Janet

Just wondering if you still have time to taxi into town (CA) to shop, eat a quick lunch, then head back to the ship to drop your stuff off and take a taxi to Megans beach.

It really depends on how long the cab driver will make you wait to fill up his taxi. They won't just take 2 people, they'll make you wait for others going there, too.

I think I read on another, or it might have been here, that if you walk out of the dock area, like a block or two, there is a Kmart and a taxi stand across the street. And if I remember correctly, the taxi charge was like $3 pp . . .

Just thought I'd pass this on. Sorry I don't have the concrete facts.

I read, either on these boards or on another board, that someone had walked like a block or 2 out of the dock area to a Kmart. There is a taxi stand across the street from the Kmart that only charged them like $3 or $5 pp.

I'm sorry I don't have more "concrete" facts, but this may help some of you.

Try to enjoy your cruises despite the little hiccups . . . life is too short.

I was in St Thomas last year, and I don't remember another port. Can someone explain where it is?

Years ago we were on the Norway, and had to be tendered in very close to town by a little dock area - does anyone know if this is where it is?

I suspect Crown Bay is the old Naval Dockyard area that Celebrity used to use on occasions and that was crap then

Princess simply does not seem to care a hoot about its customer relations theses days otherwise it would realise that for many passengers Havensight was great you could get off and wander around the stores and get back on for lunch and go off again if you wanted

For the disabled it was a dream

The taxis in St Thomas are often the kind with low ceilings that you have to virtually crawl into

Question is do other Carnival Corp ships also dck there or is it exclusively Princess

Archived