Crown Bay - St Thomas

Clarkk W Griswald

I was at Crown Bay and didn't feel it was such a big deal. We did an excursion to St. Johns with the cruise line and were picked up right at the Crown Bay pier.

The cabs were a bit of a pain, but all you had to do was walk outside the gates and get a cab. I wished the shops were open when we were there, but they weren't yet (although I understand some are open now). You are there for one day - I can't see it being a deal breaker.

I've been to a lot worse piers in other ports.

Is this the pier where you would get the ferry to St Johns???????

HiYa cruzfiend....no, Crown Bay is not the pier where you get the ferry to St. John. There are two ferries to St. John, one is in the downtown area and one is at Red Hook. The downtown ferry is a longer ride to St. John, and cost more, $10 (40 min) but closer to the cruise docks. The Red Hook ferry is only 20 min and $5.00 but a more expensive and longer taxi ride to the dock.

I read, either on these boards or on another board, that someone had walked like a block or 2 out of the dock area to a Kmart. There is a taxi stand across the street from the Kmart that only charged them like $3 or $5 pp.

I'm sorry I don't have more "concrete" facts, but this may help some of you.

Try to enjoy your cruises despite the little hiccups . . . life is too short.

In Aug 2006, we docked at Havensight with Princess. We passed the KMart on the return trip from Charlotte Amalie, so the Kmart and taxi stand would be on the 'wrong side' from Crown Bay.

701079968_Picture128.jpg.ac0fb883b5cc63b8d340d56dba21d961.jpg

Why not just do an excursion???

That's what we do. Snorkeling or a trip to St. Johns are great.

Even doing the tram ride. You could book this as an excursion and then shop at Havensight.

Personally, I didn't find the shopping at Havensight to be all that fabulous. It seemed like the typical tourist souvies to me. I got my t-shirts, playing cards and magnet. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find this in June.

Did someone mention a K-Mart? Where is it? Can you walk to it from Crown Bay?

Even when the ships dock in Havensite we always took a taxi into CA for the real shopping and looking back to get a good view of the ships that are docked. It makes a wonderful photo when taken from CA.

It's too hot to walk into town. Yes, the taxis normally wait until they are full before they leave the dock area even at Havensite. We've been moved from one taxi to another due to some ritual that the drivers have among themselves before even the dock area. Happens all the time so it is not unique to Crown Bay.

Seems like it would take the same amount of time from either dock to get into CA by taxi.

Can someone confirm this? Also, I would like to know about the K-Mart since a lot of the crew seems to shop there.

MARAPRINCE

I do not for one minute believe Princess had to dock at Crown Bay

Princess were clearly offered a "cheap deal" they are nickle and diming all over the place and of course new cruisers will not know the difference

Its the loyal cruisers that Princess are hitting back at especially with the changes to Internet Access for Platinum and Elite passengers

If NCL and RCCL use a Dock right in town and other cruise lines use Havensight theres a simple answer ................I will not book Princess in the Caribean

Its time Princess thought about all the elderly and disabled passengers for whom Havensight was a godsend also theres a Liquor store just outside Havensight with truly special prices

The Taxi far from Crown Bay to Town is now posted as $4.50 per person each way in todays ship info sheet

Theres still only 3 stores open at Crown Bay and the Shopping Girl airily said

"there will be more by Christmas !!!!"

I agree it's unfortunate that Princess will no longer dock at Havensight, there was no other view in the Caribbean to match the sight of Charlotte Amalie across the bay. But it was my understanding this move by Princess guarantees that their ships will always dock in St.Thomas, no more tendering. :)

I for one would prefer to tender than put up with the current pathetic shops at Crown Bay or be jammed into a "jitney"taxi with 14 or 19 others and charged $4 each way for the priveledge of going to downtown

According to the signs on one shop both Holland America and Princess dock at Crown Bay

However theres clearly only facilities for 2 ships to dock whereas i am sure at least 3 dock at Havensight

The prices in the 3 jewellry shops and 1 clothing /tourist shop that are in Crown Bay are high and the staff attitude is a big ??

Its $5 to Havensight

$12 to Megans Bay

$9 to other places

Theres no other taxi services outside the port and no K Mart in sight (as per another posting claiming there is )

Hence I am sure That all prices at Crown Bay will stay high and there wont be enough business to attract other stores anytime soon

I for one would prefer to tender than put up with the current pathetic shops at Crown Bay or be jammed into a "jitney"taxi with 14 or 19 others and charged $4 each way for the priveledge of going to downtown

According to the signs on one shop both Holland America and Princess dock at Crown Bay

However theres clearly only facilities for 2 ships to dock whereas i am sure at least 3 dock at Havensight

The prices in the 3 jewellry shops and 1 clothing /tourist shop that are in Crown Bay are high and the staff attitude is a big ??

Its $5 to Havensight

$12 to Megans Bay

$9 to other places

Theres no other taxi services outside the port and no K Mart in sight (as per another posting claiming there is )

Hence I am sure That all prices at Crown Bay will stay high and there wont be enough business to attract other stores anytime soon

...and why did you feel the need to post this info here, and then start 2 more threads reiterating this information and adding a bit more?

you must be quite upset:eek:

We will be there twice in the next few weeks, and where we dock is irrelevant and will not spoil our cruises

Its $5 to Havensight

$12 to Megans Bay

$9 to other places

Sorry, but there are other taxi services right outside the port gates. We walked outside the gates as had been suggested by others here who had done it and had no problems getting a taxi to take our party of 4 downtown. We were charged $4 per person and rode in a nice airconditioned taxi/car and dropped off exactly where we wanted. We also had no problems getting a cab back to the ship either.

You seem to have a real issue when it comes to the Crown Bay docking situation. While I agree it's not as great as docking at Havensight, it certainly isn't the end of the world. Since it's not going to change, you're going to have to learn to live with it or simply treat the St. Thomas stop as a day at sea and not get off the ship. Or, don't cruise on Princess and use a different cruise line that docks at Havensight.

Does anyone have more information on the K-Mart store? I know on previous dockings at Havensite while waiting to reboard the ship, crew members had K-Mart bags. Seems the ship runs a special shuttle there for them.

Prices at K-Mart are reasonable and then you have the guarantee on their merchandise that will hold up at any other K-Mart back home. After all, St. Thomas is not a foreign country!

Yes, I do agree that it is going to be harder on the elderly and disabled since they cannot depend on shopping at the pier as before. But you have to admit trying to tender with over 3,000 passengers would be a real pain in the butt! I would rather be able to get on and off the ship without having to tender.

MARAPRINCE

MARAPRINCE

Sorry to disapoint but today Sunday there were no other taxis outside Crown Bay Port and not everyone wants to go downtown anyway

You also might like to hear that Passengers were clearly told today that :-

1)Crown Bay was supposed to have been completed and fully occupied months ago

2) The shops there are being charged $200 a day irrespective of whether theres a ship in port so its not surprising theres only 3 open because i doubt theres enough business for more

3) The next ship due in is not till Thursday ....I think that must be Caribean Princess

4) Princess have 10 years of Free Docking there which is why they moved

Looks like the winners money wise are the Taxis and Princess because it sure is of no benefit to the passengers

and yes if doing another Carribean cruise stopping at St Thomas it sure will not be Princess or HAL because sorry Havensight wins on all fronts

Does anyone have more information on the K-Mart store? I know on previous dockings at Havensite while waiting to reboard the ship, crew members had K-Mart bags. Seems the ship runs a special shuttle there for them.

Prices at K-Mart are reasonable and then you have the guarantee on their merchandise that will hold up at any other K-Mart back home. After all, St. Thomas is not a foreign country!

Yes, I do agree that it is going to be harder on the elderly and disabled since they cannot depend on shopping at the pier as before. But you have to admit trying to tender with over 3,000 passengers would be a real pain in the butt! I would rather be able to get on and off the ship without having to tender.

MARAPRINCE

MARAPRINCE

Here's what I found on google:

KMart

(one on the East End and one near in the Nelson Mandela Square)

There is a Radio Shack and Home Depot

Not true on our trip 2/11/07. Carnival Legend and a Costa Cruiseship were at the pier at Havensight, Caribbean Princess only ship at Crown Bay. Right now, there is only room for 1 ship at Crown Bay. They were still dredging sand out on the one side of the pier.

This simply is not true. When we were there in late January, the Celebrity Millenium was at the pier with us (CB).

This simply is not true. When we were there in late January, the Celebrity Millenium was at the pier with us (CB).

It is so true!!! So your saying that the crane that was on the other side of the CB at the pier dredging out sand and placing it on a barge was a figment of my imagination? Or are you calling me a liar? LOL I was just telling what I saw on the 2/11 sailing.

It is so true!!! So your saying that the crane that was on the other side of the CB at the pier dredging out sand and placing it on a barge was a figment of my imagination? Or are you calling me a liar? LOL I was just telling what I saw on the 2/11 sailing.

was the sun princess in port with the cb that day? It was suppose to be - and it was suppose to be docked right next to the CB - was it anchored in the harbor?

We made our way to Cinnamon Bay on St John from Crown Bay last week and didn't encounter delays or hassles.

As we prefer beaches to shopping Crown Bay vs. Haversight did not make a difference.

The ferry from Charlotte Amalie leaves at 9am and we were docked b4 7, leisurely got off the ship at 8, plenty of cabs($4pp) available that were filling up and taking off quickly, could have easily left a bit earlier and walked but we didn't, so by 8:15 we were at the ferry enough time to stroll around though some shops were just opening.

The ferry($10) was a gorgeous 30 minute ride to Cruz Bay, stopped for a quick eyeopener cocktail at the bar in the park after the dock, and then a scenic open air van ride ($7pp) to Cinnamon Bay(free).

It was 10:10 when we arrived there and in my minds' eye this is the most beatiful beach anywhere OK - so it is $42 per person/ $45 if you count in the bloody mary to get there, but just so worth the effort and expense. we spent until 2 at the beach then into Cruz bay to soak up the local atmospere - I highly recommend Al's - (bright blue cafe with the big open air window at intersection across from tourist inf stand) we caught the 4pm ferry back, in plenty of time for the ship's departure at 6.

This was the most expensive transportation day by far, but all other ports got us to beaches on the cheap less then 5 pp.

Archived