Mozilla Firefox vs MIE question

GmaPajama

I'm probably posting this question in the wrong place, but the HAL board is the only place I hang out - so I'll give it a shot here.

With all the WSOD and other posting problems here of late, I found something interesting. My Microsoft Internet Explorer was constantly locking up a couple of months ago, so I downloaded Mozilla Firefox - and have been using that ever since, with none of the MIE's problems.

I read a post today about how the boards were working better, but I still could barely manage to load a page - even though I've learned to be very patient here. I closed my Firefox and opened MIE just to see if there was a difference. WA LAA !!! The CC Boards are working just fine for me now!

Has anyone else found that one thing works better than another here?

I'm probably posting this question in the wrong place, but the HAL board is the only place I hang out - so I'll give it a shot here.

With all the WSOD and other posting problems here of late, I found something interesting. My Microsoft Internet Explorer was constantly locking up a couple of months ago, so I downloaded Mozilla Firefox - and have been using that ever since, with none of the MIE's problems.

I read a post today about how the boards were working better, but I still could barely manage to load a page - even though I've learned to be very patient here. I closed my Firefox and opened MIE just to see if there was a difference. WA LAA !!! The CC Boards are working just fine for me now!

The problem is not with the end terminal (your computer) but with CC's servers. Therefore, there is nothing you can do to speed up things.

Another browser that I used a long time ago was Opera. But again, the problem is with CC's servers.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks for your response, dforeigner. I have just realized that this is being discussed at length on another thread. I was just so excited to have something work - I posted without browsing first. I should have known - not much gets by these cc folks!

As for my personal experience with browsers here - I guess it was just a fluke. Thanks again!

I habitually load both Firefox and MIE whenever I log on because there's some MSN-oriented sites that I use that don't work at all with Firefox. (BTW I'm on MIE 7.0)

However, here on CC I usually have much fewer problems and easier recovery with Firefox. With MIE a time-out totally kills the browser and I have to reload, but not with Firefox. This morning both are working great! :D

I'm glad you started this as a new thread so I don't feel I've highjacked somebody else's thread! :)

Where is the "other thread" where "this is being discussed at length", please?

For what it's worth...

I tried Firefox 2.0 for several days last/this week in hopes of overcoming some minor formatting problems and general "slowness" that started when I upgraded from IE6 to IE7 two weeks ago (hoping for greater security). I had trouble getting Firefox to use my Norton Password Manager to fill-in the different passwords on diffewrent sites I visit--including CC. I even installed a Firefox "add-in" that was supposed to supply the passwords as needed. None of that over-came the problems, so yesterday I switched back to IE7. Throughout all of this, CC seemed to (mis)behave the same! So, although it's the servers causing the problems, I'm glad I tried to solve them on my end, because now my curiosity about Firefox is satisfied.

I know no one wants the boards to "work" more than the folks who run CC, so my thanks to them for trying so hard.

Hummm ..... Maybe the various browsers work differently for each of us. Perhaps depending on what else we have running. Who knows. I guess it does all boil down to the CC servers, and I know they are working their hearts out on those.

Thanks for all the input.

........... I guess it does all boil down to the CC servers..................

It does. We go through this from time to time on this board because the membership just keeps growing so fast they can't keep up with it.

Don't drive yourself nuts trying different browsers ... just try to be patient and wait it out. It will be fine for awhile and the next time will come along:) .

It's the "price we pay" and as maddening as it is, it's really a small one.

Archived